stokesy

Premiership Player
May 30, 2004
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Is it natural for players to jump with their knee in the air when they take a leap?

We've had a heated discussion today at work regarding this matter, half of the office believe that there is no need for players, such as B.Fevola, to be raising one knee in a marking contest.

I believe when you are taking a jump, that the knee comes up naturally, yet half of the office says you can jump with no knee rises.

I've been on you tube looking at long jumps and what not and they raise a knee.

Bigfooty, what are your thoughts?

I think you can jump with you knees up. As long as you are doing it to protect your body or trying to take a leap on someone then its fine. Though in saying that, if the player lifts his knees while looking at the opposition coming towards him then i think he should get weeks.

This is ridiculous. Of course it's ok. It's been a part of the game forever. It's pretty simple really, when you're running at high pace your legs have momentum and it naturally wants to keep moving. So if you're taking it off the ground, it is a natural movement to raise the leg and put the knee up. It's like if you're sprinting and pull up, you don't just stop on the spot. You're legs have momentum and have to keep moving until you slow down.

But besides that it
Gives you more composure and balance in the air,
Protects the space in front of you and protects your body from defenders coming back
Can give you a ride for a speccy

If we're going to stop allowing this we are destroying our game. The bumps under threat as well, before we know it we'll be playing soccer. I don't understand why the AFL keeps changing rules. This is the best game in the world leave it that way

It is a natural part of jumping, unless you jump from a standing start.

Exactly right.

Its only natural to stick one knee up on a jump after a lead. Its what we were all taught from a young age.

At the end of the day, the whole purpose is to protect yourself in a marking contest.

Whats more important? Protect yourself? Or protect others?

Using a knee is just a natural part of the game not only does it protect the player going for the mark but it also protects the game to an extent of heavy flooding. If you take the knee out of marking contest not only will it allow players to flood more but most likely bring more head clashes into the game as well as torso's will be connecting with the heads being flung into each other.

I have read people say that you dont delibertly put a knee up in the contest and aim for a player dropping back this is false i play footy as full forward obviously not at the same standard as these guys, but if you get a defender dropping in ur hole you always make heavy contact weith them if you can legally of course. This just reminds players who's area it is and to think twice before getting in the hole again.

Its an essential part of the game and if it was for some stupid reason outlawed it would take the speccie out of the game. Now who really wants to see that. I really dont see why this is an issue most likely because it is fevola doing it over the last couple of weeks. All good forwards do it consistently and thats why they are better than some of the mediocre forwards.

Stop changing the great game that it is, it has worked for over 100 years leave all rules the way it is.

I think the issue that raises this is from the Hawks v Blues game on the weekend when Fev used his legs/knees to stop a player coming into spoil. I don't think there was any issue with what he did but would just have to take care in that. It wasn't your usual raising the knees in a marking contest. Normally you would raise your knees to either get height in your jump or/and to ride your opponent. I don't think Fev in this case did that. He jumped and threw out the legs. Again, 95% of the time fine. I could see a situation where it could get him in trouble. I think Michael Long (could be wrong) did this and at one point got in trouble when it turned into a kick in the face or something.

Just saying.

I think if you're running at a ball on the lead and go up in the air, its a part of the natural jumping style. In fact, I can't work out how you'd go up in the air when you have forward motion, without sticking the knee up.

As such, I think if you're running into a pack, the same applies, you have to stick the knee up in order to get momentum.

Having said all that, if you're no chance of getting the footy, and you do it anyway, that particular action should be looked at. I recall Goodes doing it a season or two ago to a Melbourne player...had no chance of making the fall of the ball, so just went in late and did it anyway. That is reckless.

If we're referring to the instance of Fevola doing it when he was already in position and he was "protecting the space" against McGlynn (sorta funny if you think about it), then I think that's fine. Its never pretty to watch, but has been happening for decades, and isn't really done with any momentum, so its not likely to cause terrible injury. But if you do it, I hope you get a decent whack later in the match, 'cos its a bit of a faggy thing to do.

We've had a heated discussion today at work regarding this matter, half of the office believe that there is no need for players, such as B.Fevola, to be raising one knee in a marking contest.

People who says that have either never played footy, or were always missing from training during marking drills, where they would have been taught to raise the knee just like Fev does in order to help maintain balance. Even kids at Auskick clinics get taught to do this.

I think if you're running at a ball on the lead and go up in the air, its a part of the natural jumping style. In fact, I can't work out how you'd go up in the air when you have forward motion, without sticking the knee up.

As such, I think if you're running into a pack, the same applies, you have to stick the knee up in order to get momentum.

Having said all that, if you're no chance of getting the footy, and you do it anyway, that particular action should be looked at. I recall Goodes doing it a season or two ago to a Melbourne player...had no chance of making the fall of the ball, so just went in late and did it anyway. That is reckless.

If we're referring to the instance of Fevola doing it when he was already in position and he was "protecting the space" against McGlynn (sorta funny if you think about it), then I think that's fine. Its never pretty to watch, but has been happening for decades, and isn't really done with any momentum, so its not likely to cause terrible injury. But if you do it, I hope you get a decent whack later in the match, 'cos its a bit of a faggy thing to do.

Thinking about it, I think if you were seen to seek out the player, like be looking at him when your jump almost parallel to the ground, thats when people might have issues with it. Oh, and I think if you jump this almost parallel way, you almost forfet your right to claim tunnelling if the on going player knocks you over. Free kick probably, but no report.

When I was playing footy, I always used to raise my right knee when running for a mark, It's something that was just natural to do & god forbid if they tried to outlaw that it would be very hard to re adjust for the footballers.

As has been said already if you are backing back for a mark you either expect collision & try best to protect yourself or you Don't play footy as any coach wont play you if you don't back into a contest if need arises.

Nothing wrong with it, those that said any different have no idea really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the major issues basketball players have when they try to play football and vice versa. I have friends who played basketball in high school then converted to football, and although they can jump high, they tend to get smashed in contests, because they never learnt to lead with their knees as protection. I have other friends who have gone the other way as well. Football players tend to get very quickly fouled out of basketball games, because their natural instinct is to lead with ther knees when going for rebounds.

Of course it's ok. In fact it's more than ok it's what you should do.

There's a certain Collingwood player who I reckon kicks players while going for a mark, but Fev's attack on the ball in marking contests is exactly what players should do.

Although it may not be a natural thing to jump with a knee up outside of Football, It a natural replex kind of thing in football..

It is the same as ruckmen putting their knee up in a ruck contest, it is more self preservation or protection than anything else..

Its only natural to stick one knee up on a jump after a lead. Its what we were all taught from a young age.

If it's only natural, why would anybody be taught it? Wouldn't we all just do it by reflex? Or is it a natural tendency that we are taught to accentuate?

Ummmm huh?

Everything in football is taught from a young age. I can use both sides of the body, I can tackle, I can mark arms out ect., it all comes naturally to me now.

All because I was taught this as a youngster.

You think Ablett, Judd, Fevola, Franklin and co would just naturally know how to play footy without being taught things as kids?

Of course its ok, because its stupid not too.

If you were running forward at speed and jumped for a mark straight legged with someone standing in front of you, you would most likely flip over the top of them and land on your head breaking your neck:confused:

As someone said earlier, the only ones saying any different have never played the game, or have a clue;)

Of course it's natural to lift your knee. People who have played the game will know this! It also helps with that extra leverage on an opponents back when going for a hanger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Knee Rises

Remove this Banner Ad

Back