Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Archer eligible, I thought he did a wonderful job in quelling Lukosius.

Yes, they gave the nomination to Morris the week Archer did the job on Fritsch and Cornes & Buckley conceded there was a bit of a much up as the RS committee had already made the decision before the Pies/North game given Morris previous week performances.

He should get it this week, despite being a lockdown defender.

Mckercher showed his class on the weekend he is going to be super damaging.Darcy Wilson has had some of the best games of any potential winners.

With the right players around him then he will thrive, reid has no one to support him.

Reid isn't rising with a batch of similarly aged players together and that's the issue.

WC will have only have bottomed out fully by the time his current contract finishes.

At the very least I think you'd have to say that even if he were eligible, he wouldn't be an absolute certainty to win the award this year, in what's been a decent year for nominations, but not especially earth-shattering.

McKercher's been putting up some huge disposal numbers recently, which made me wonder if we was making a late charge, though looking more closely at his overall stats: zero goals, not many clearances or inside 50s, I'm guessing he's playing a role off half back?

He or Caddy both with 3 goal bags this week, can see it going either way but Hawks with a big win might sway it in Dear's favour?
Obviously bias but I felt he had it in the bag after talking that huge contested mark to open the game against the Blues. Handy defence to get a hold of as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surly Dear gets the nom this week
Or Sam Banks....
He or Caddy both with 3 goal bags this week, can see it going either way but Hawks with a big win might sway it in Dear's favour?
Tom Brown kicked 3 a couple of weeks ago and was overlooked for an 18 disposal, 4-mark game by Josh Draper.

Banks had 25 @ 92% and 7 marks.

Or Sam Banks....

Tom Brown kicked 3 a couple of weeks ago and was overlooked for an 18 disposal, 4-mark game by Josh Draper.

Banks had 25 @ 92% and 7 marks.
1000004079.jpg

McKercher's been putting up some huge disposal numbers recently, which made me wonder if we was making a late charge, though looking more closely at his overall stats: zero goals, not many clearances or inside 50s, I'm guessing he's playing a role off half back?

Yep. He's basically playing the role Zac Fisher was before he got injured, albeit with a fair bit more drive (he's number one in the whole competition for bounces per game and easily the top RS candidate for metres gained).

I think he's probably missed too many games to overtake Dempsey but he's been very good.

At the very least I think you'd have to say that even if he were eligible, he wouldn't be an absolute certainty to win the award this year, in what's been a decent year for nominations, but not especially earth-shattering.

Yes he’s playing half back, but he’s doing it at an elite level.

Will follow the Sheezel path up the ground as early as next year.

He’s averaging 24 touches a game, with 1 game where he was subbed out in the first few minutes of the first quarter on 1 disposal.

I think there’d be a few more comparisons to Sheezel and Daicos if journo’s weren’t so lazy.

He’s averaging 30.5 touches a game since Round 8, which would have him on par with Whitfield and only behind Sam Flanders for all half backs in the league.

Sheez averaged 27 per game and Daicos 25.8 in the same role in their rookie seasons.

McKercher might still pass Daicos’ rookie averages with a 1 disposal game in the data. He’s already been tagged, like when Voss sent Cincotta to him at half time of our game a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Darcy Wilson a smoky for the Rising Star? Afl.com.au said so:

"With one round to go, Wilson's numbers are almost identical to Dempsey's and he's now shown he can influence games on his own."

Upon closer inspection, Dempsey averages 2.5 more disposals, 0.9 more combined goals/assists, 1.8 more score involvements, 1.8 more contested possessions and 0.5 more tackles per game.

On the surface this may seem marginal, but for example score involvements are almost 50% higher for Dempsey, while goals/assists are twice as high.

So maybe not "almost identical". Still going to be a jet though.

Joel Freijah played a blinder for us. 29 touches, 13 marks, 7 SI, 2 direct GA, all @ 90% efficiency
Elite, but for entirely biased reasons I think Calsher has it in the bag this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back