Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you see Jordan lockyer playing as a KPD at 191cm? seems like a good, aggressive sort and wouldnt mind the saints picking him up with our first pick.. or could he even last to our second? Similar to Seb Tape in that is a couple of centimetres too short perhaps?

Thoughts on Seb Purcell knightmare?

One of the fastest (if not the fastest) going around, and is an extremely good athlete. Do you think he would be a good pick?

Obviously we disagree a bit on some selections - Manson and Hill seem like the main ones at the moment. But Ellis-Yolmen is the most interesting one.

#50 Gold Coast – Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (SA – Mid)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 28/01/1993
Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Big, strong inside player. Already physically pretty ready to go and should have a fairly immediate impact. Nice height. Potential is there. Recent form has been very good. Has been a big ball winner throughout the year. I do think he has dominated stoppages on size more than anything which he won’t be able to do at the next level, so I don’t think he will necessarily go as high as some of his bigger fans might lead you to believe.

The kid is a first round talent in my opinion, and I disagree with the suggestion that he is essentially just bullying smaller players. With some teams having a bunch of early picks (GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Port Adelaide) I can see him going earlier than most expect. I would be surprised if he made it past the second round, let alone the top 30.

He is as close as you'll get to an Adam Goodes or Anthony Morabito in this draft.

Can you see Jordan lockyer playing as a KPD at 191cm? seems like a good, aggressive sort and wouldnt mind the saints picking him up with our first pick.. or could he even last to our second? Similar to Seb Tape in that is a couple of centimetres too short perhaps?

Not a huge fan of these short KPPs.
Tape is more a 3rd tall.

Lockyer is being talked about as a potential KPP. Even Geelong were talking to him about potentially developing into a key defender. Unsure if he has much growth left but if he gets to 192cm or so - which he might then maybe.
Personally view Lockyer as more of an agressive 3rd tall though who can play either end depending on need, but could easily step into a key position post if needbe. Am doubtful he goes 1st round, but still could.

All this said he will be a very solid selection for whichever club takes him. Has been well taught from a young age and is probably one of those lower risk selections because you know what you are going to get - allot of agression and allot of fight.

Thoughts on Seb Purcell knightmare?

One of the fastest (if not the fastest) going around, and is an extremely good athlete. Do you think he would be a good pick?

Very fast. Good athlete.
Skills not great.
Could be a chance. But more of a rookie selection if he does get a shot.

Obviously we disagree a bit on some selections - Manson and Hill seem like the main ones at the moment. But Ellis-Yolmen is the most interesting one.

The kid is a first round talent in my opinion, and I disagree with the suggestion that he is essentially just bullying smaller players. With some teams having a bunch of early picks (GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Port Adelaide) I can see him going earlier than most expect. I would be surprised if he made it past the second round, let alone the top 30.

He is as close as you'll get to an Adam Goodes or Anthony Morabito in this draft.

Combination of speed + endurance moves Hill well up my standings, even though the performances haven't been to a first or second round standard. Expect he might be selected more on upside. Doesn't have the skill level of his brother, nor the agility. But I do expect that later physical and footballing growth.
Hill in my power rankings I only have at 43 - but I think there is the potential that a team takes the chance on him and takes him higher.

Manson I'm surprised to see still only have at 77 in your draft. We all know the question marks - go home factor, what is his work ethic like, how will he fit into a professional environment? But the talent is undeniably there. Not a great draft. Someone will take a chance on him. In those games he played his performances were incredibly dominant. And with his leap and at his size, there is allot of promise.
Looking through your draft interestingly many of the picks are real picks on upside rather than performance whereas my selections have more so been on performance. So it is very interesting that you are so hesitent to take the chance on Manson.

I'd like to see more footage of Ellis-Yolmen. I do very much respect your views and I understand that if you have a player rated highly, you do for a reason. And I always make an effort to find out why.
Obviously Ellis-Yolmen at his size for a mid is intriguing. But he isn't nearly the athlete Morabito/Goodes are? Or as skilled?
Being from SA you will have seen allot more of Ellis-Yolmen than I have. But he just hasn't caught my eye in those few matches I have seen of him.

The other big variation is still AhChee who you have rated for some time. I know Snoop rates him also. But I don't rate him quite so highly. It could have to do with being less exposed to his better games though.

One player I recommend you review some footage of is Taylor Adams. Is a higher quality talent than you have him. Better talant than the likes of Greene/D.Smith. Is that clear class above for mine.
Early on I rated him lower, but I did that thinking he was in the mid 170s, kept forgetting he is just over 180cm because he moves so well and has that incredible agility and ability to dance around everyone effortlessly.
Top 10er for mine.

Polec was not Injured before the draft was he? and Kavanagh showed the recruiters/scouts more than enough to prove he is over them didnt he? If any of our member regret taking Polec they are very impatient not every top ten pick plays every game and has a massive impact.

yeah Polec wasnt injured...just finished playing the SANFL finals and I watched his last game prior to draft and was fit as a fiddle...we past on Heppell due to injury :(

Brad Hill just isn't a first round talent for me. Selecting him that high, would be because of Stephen and because he is a great athlete - not a great footballer. I like him, for obvious reasons. But he has a long way to go, and is more of a Bateman/Petrenko solid type player rather than an explosive game changer.

As for Manson, I can't put him any higher simply because I haven't seen him. Wouldn't be able to justify it. And there are plenty of good KPP options early, so I don't think a 'weak draft' should come into play that early. I also expect it will take more than just a few indigenous players to offset the homesickness. The Kimberleys will always be his home.

Ellis-Yolmen has the skills, might have only played 1 game in the Championships but I know the guys involved with South Australia are high on him. He is also on par with Morabito as an athlete. So he would deserve an early selection in my view. You could argue with it being more based on potential, but his potential is right up there with the top 5 in the draft. So it would truly be worth it.

Speaking of a pick based on potential, that is the case with Ah Chee. But he could seriously be anything. Looking at players you have in the 30-50 range, I see guys who I think will be solid 100 game players. But not many who could take that next step, and be game winners. That's where Ah Chee comes in.

Taylor Adams has gotten some good press lately, was it Future Stars that had him at #6? He'll no doubt interview well, and you know what you'll get from him. I prefer him to Greene, but would have 8 or so midfielders ahead of him. Throw in a couple of talls, and he probably wont be able to sneak into my top 10.

Great read firstly.

Can you tell me more about Devon smith? Why have you ranked him so low? Big weaknesses other than his height??What range do you think he will fall? Any chance for essendon at pick 19?

Great read firstly.

Can you tell me more about Devon smith? Why have you ranked him so low? Big weaknesses other than his height??What range do you think he will fall? Any chance for essendon at pick 19?

Smith will probably fall in the 10-20 range, allow 5 draft positions either way. Unlikely to be available for Essendon, but certainly could be and is an option. Could fit easily as a mid/fwd.

Have him ranked lowish in my power rankings because he doesn't really have a big weapon on him. Is a really immediate player but I just don't really see upside big upside.
Speed is very good, but not elite. Skills neat but doesn't have the hurt factor of some of those likely to go earlier.
Is a player I'd take on what he can do now rather than what you think he might be able to produce later.
My concern is that I can see Smith long term developing into a depth player.

Smith is a nice all rounder and not hugely flawed. But just needs to get stronger and maybe add that little something extra to his game.

Woah knight! You have Grigg dropping 9 places, Whats going on???

Didn't test well. Others have moved up the order.

Grigg can still go 1st round and could easily land somewhere in the teens, but for the time being have him move down to the lower end of where he could land.

hey since the blues have finally secured Dylan Buckley with our last pick of the draft as a father/son selection, I was hoping if anyone get give me a detailed info paragraph about this kid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Hill just isn't a first round talent for me. Selecting him that high, would be because of Stephen and because he is a great athlete - not a great footballer. I like him, for obvious reasons. But he has a long way to go, and is more of a Bateman/Petrenko solid type player rather than an explosive game changer.

As for Manson, I can't put him any higher simply because I haven't seen him. Wouldn't be able to justify it. And there are plenty of good KPP options early, so I don't think a 'weak draft' should come into play that early. I also expect it will take more than just a few indigenous players to offset the homesickness. The Kimberleys will always be his home.

Ellis-Yolmen has the skills, might have only played 1 game in the Championships but I know the guys involved with South Australia are high on him. He is also on par with Morabito as an athlete. So he would deserve an early selection in my view. You could argue with it being more based on potential, but his potential is right up there with the top 5 in the draft. So it would truly be worth it.

Speaking of a pick based on potential, that is the case with Ah Chee. But he could seriously be anything. Looking at players you have in the 30-50 range, I see guys who I think will be solid 100 game players. But not many who could take that next step, and be game winners. That's where Ah Chee comes in.

Taylor Adams has gotten some good press lately, was it Future Stars that had him at #6? He'll no doubt interview well, and you know what you'll get from him. I prefer him to Greene, but would have 8 or so midfielders ahead of him. Throw in a couple of talls, and he probably wont be able to sneak into my top 10.

yeah I am debating where to drop Manson bc I think there is a chance he could go real high based on what I have heard but having not seen him I think it makes it hard to. Same with Clarke.

Re Ellis-Yolmen yeah if you have seen him you cant help but be impressed and Phillips is a massive fan as well. Great size for a midfielder.

Hill will go but he wont be a first rounder I would have thought but look his brother was seen as a teen pick a week out from the draft and that all changed pretty quickly. Brother has shown a lot more talent though.

Ah Chee is a ripper. Terrific size and having seen him he has heaps of potential is one I just dont know where he could land. A club with a poor view of the talent pool might take him sooner than we think - same with Hill and a couple of others and its why I think a club will hit Manson quite early.

yeah I am debating where to drop Manson bc I think there is a chance he could go real high based on what I have heard but having not seen him I think it makes it hard to. Same with Clarke.

Re Ellis-Yolmen yeah if you have seen him you cant help but be impressed and Phillips is a massive fan as well. Great size for a midfielder.

Which club does he represent?

Knightmare surely we wouldn't get Forster... plus since Richmond and GWS have exchanged picks would that change anything. I really want Grigg, why has he slipped so far down? He's been absolutely fantastic.

Not a huge fan of these short KPPs.
Tape is more a 3rd tall.

Lockyer is being talked about as a potential KPP. Even Geelong were talking to him about potentially developing into a key defender. Unsure if he has much growth left but if he gets to 192cm or so - which he might then maybe.
Personally view Lockyer as more of an agressive 3rd tall though who can play either end depending on need, but could easily step into a key position post if needbe. Am doubtful he goes 1st round, but still could.

All this said he will be a very solid selection for whichever club takes him. Has been well taught from a young age and is probably one of those lower risk selections because you know what you are going to get - allot of agression and allot of fight.

Very fast. Good athlete.
Skills not great.
Could be a chance. But more of a rookie selection if he does get a shot.

do you know if seb purcell got an invite to the state combine knightmare?

Hill will go but he wont be a first rounder I would have thought but look his brother was seen as a teen pick a week out from the draft and that all changed pretty quickly. Brother has shown a lot more talent though.

Ah Chee is a ripper. Terrific size and having seen him he has heaps of potential is one I just dont know where he could land. A club with a poor view of the talent pool might take him sooner than we think - same with Hill and a couple of others and its why I think a club will hit Manson quite early.

Can't argue with any of that, seems we agree in regards to these four players. Like you, I really have no idea where Ah Chee will place. Personally, I'd have no problem going early with him. A lot more upside than most of the midfielders in the draft.

Knightmare surely we wouldn't get Forster... plus since Richmond and GWS have exchanged picks would that change anything. I really want Grigg, why has he slipped so far down? He's been absolutely fantastic.

Forster has been very good this year. U18 champs made the U18 AA side. End of season form also VERY good. Will probably land somewhere in the teens. Looks like a near cert 1st rounder.

Grigg's performances have been good. Testing pretty poor and even though a big accumulator I do question his ball winning ability to an extent. Could still go in the teens somewhere but could just as easily go 2nd round.

[/b]

do you know if seb purcell got an invite to the state combine knightmare?

Certainly didn't make draft combine. Maybe state screening. Don't have list handy.

Hi Knightmare, I was wondering whether you could give my a little bit more information on Shane Nelson. Really good inside player who could play outside and he has a really nice kick (as demonstrated by his near perfect kicking score in the Combine), he also has really good leg speed (as shown by his excellent 20m sprint time). I would've thought he would be a nice fit at Essendon, since they are looking for a classy midfielder to support Watson. What are your thoughts?

Hi Knightmare, I was wondering whether you could give my a little bit more information on Shane Nelson. Really good inside player who could play outside and he has a really nice kick (as demonstrated by his near perfect kicking score in the Combine), he also has really good leg speed (as shown by his excellent 20m sprint time). I would've thought he would be a nice fit at Essendon, since they are looking for a classy midfielder to support Watson. What are your thoughts?

One for consideration. Could easily be a 1st round option and have mostly had him as a 1st rounder.

You are right, Nelson is quick and can use it. Very good decision maker. Skill level very good, not high hurt factor, but precise. Strong mark overhead for size. Really solid all rounder. Maybe slightly more outside than inside at his size, but can do both well and is still a solid ball winner and isn't afraid to play inside and mix it with the bigger bodies.
Will take time to build up size. Season 2 ready to go.

hey since the blues have finally secured Dylan Buckley with our last pick of the draft as a father/son selection, I was hoping if anyone get give me a detailed info paragraph about this kid?

Dylan Buckley (VIC – Mid/Fwd) F/S
Height: 183cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style: Andrew Walker
Profile: Carlton have already committed to Buckley. Has missed time through injury. Had allot of hype coming into the season but when playing hasn’t really impressed and has struggled a bit. We have seen him perform well in the past so he should rebound for this year. Pretty light midfielder at this stage. Good skill level. Duel sided. Has good pace. Will take time to develop but if he puts injury behind him, which I think he will no problem he could develop into a very good midfielder/flanker.

Before this season would have had Buckley as a 1st rounder and probably would have forced Carlton to spend a 2nd rounder on him to be honest. Will take time but think he can develop. Could be a good get if he can move past others at the club.
Will take time. Still needs to gain a fair bit of weight before he can play senior footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back