Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is we have a noticeable problem generating i50s so speed around the contest is a real deficiency we can fix in this draft with our first rounder. Unless we have an eye on Garlett... with one of those second rounders.
Jetta back will help that

Jetta back will help that

I still think it makes a Lewis Taylor type look pretty good if our recruiters think his height is no problem. The type that could really own a fwd pocket/ midfield rotation from the get go and has some x-factor/inside ball winning ability, to put an exclamation point on our midfield with some x-factor and delivery into and around the 50.

Otherwise Crouch would be a great and astute pick, and could still end up happening.

I still think it makes a Lewis Taylor type look pretty good if our recruiters think his height is no problem. The type that could really own a fwd pocket/ midfield rotation from the get go and has some x-factor/inside ball winning ability, to put an exclamation point on our midfield with some x-factor and delivery into and around the 50.

Otherwise Crouch would be a great and astute pick, and could still end up happening.
I like Taylor's skills but he is 173cm and 73kgs Lamb played for us for 3 years and still didn't put enough bulk on

knightmare what would be stopping James Tsitas from going earlier in the draft then what you have him , seems to get a heap of the ball both state and tac and his combine testing was good especially kicking , is he really lacking something that wont translate to afl?

Tsitas doesn't have any hurt factor or any one thing that seperates him. Sure he's hard and will win his own footy. He just has a 40m kick and isn't going to do any outside damage.

There are some other similar mids who have done more - Crouch and Sheed as two notables with Dunstan and Dumont others most would also argue to be better.

Knightmare what types of Mids will be around at essendon's #26? In your view could garlett go there?

Garlett won't go that early.

Cripps and Templeton are two mids Essendon may look at in that range. Some smalls in Impey and Kennedy-Harris are others who may be of interest.

knigtmare, do you see mcarthy playing at all next year or still way too raw and may take 2-3 years to develop.

If Cameron McCarthy is playing in year one then the club who drafts him are probably really struggling.

Give him 3-4 years to develop. It's the same story with most key position players. Even the great key forwards almost always struggle early with that first season rarely a good one.

It seems like Sydney has changed their recruiting a touch after they picked up Luke Parker, last year we went for a mature ager in Towers then a bigger body in Membrey that why I'm thinking they'll go for Crouch if he's available.
Who else has a mans body and is ready to go for round one that will go at around pick 15

Crouch in Sydney's situation feels like more of the same with so many inside midfielders. Acres and Lewis Taylor are two others who if available are better fits and others I see as relatively immediate players.

Tsitas doesn't have any hurt factor or any one thing that seperates him. Sure he's hard and will win his own footy. He just has a 40m kick and isn't going to do any outside damage.

There are some other similar mids who have done more - Crouch and Sheed as two notables with Dunstan and Dumont others most would also argue to be better.

Garlett won't go that early.

Cripps and Templeton are two mids Essendon may look at in that range. Some smalls in Impey and Kennedy-Harris are others who may be of interest.

If Cameron McCarthy is playing in year one then the club who drafts him are probably really struggling.

Give him 3-4 years to develop. It's the same story with most key position players. Even the great key forwards almost always struggle early with that first season rarely a good one.

Crouch in Sydney's situation feels like more of the same with so many inside midfielders. Acres and Lewis Taylor are two others who if available are better fits and others I see as relatively immediate players.
Like the sound of Acres

I like Taylor's skills but he is 173cm and 73kgs Lamb played for us for 3 years and still didn't put enough bulk on

Lamb isn't as talented as Taylor. Lamb can use it by foot. Taylor is just a freak and a better players today.

Size while helpful and something ideally everyone has, isn't always required.

KM, If Salem goes before 12, then who do you think the tiges could pick up?

Best available. Perhaps a Scharenberg if there. Lennon if he slides. They're the obvious two who I'd imagine would be Richmond's backup plans. Perhaps Lewis Taylor.

It's a pick with the potential to find someone.

Yep, I agree with you on this one mate. Acres is a fit. Scharanberg if he slides out too

Knightmare, do you rate Jonathan marsh or Michael apeness as a better tall? Is #26 justified for either or a reach?

How do you rate these two?

Marsh is the better talent and probably the guy I'd take.

They're just different players.

Apeness is a big, big man. He's a tall, big key forward who has a presence and can play some ruck. He'll take advantage of smaller opportunity but there are others who are probably more dominant.

Marsh is more just a tall, freakish athletic flanker without a defined position.

They're risks in their different ways but everyone this year is a risk at 26 so you're mostly once you get into the mid-late 20s this year picking the least bad and the player more likely to find a role on a team and have a career.

Hey KM,

has Lennon dropped in your estimations after he test so very poorly at combine??

I'm not at all phased by how guys test. It doesn't come into my calculations at all. It just explains to me why certain things on the field may be the case.

You can be Joel Wilkinson and bench press 160kg. Run a 2.75sec 20m. And also place top 10 in the repeat sprints, 2km and 3km testing and beep tests and it still won't necessarily guarantee you anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not at all phased by how guys test. It doesn't come into my calculations at all. It just explains to me why certain things on the field may be the case.

You can be Joel Wilkinson and bench press 160kg. Run a 2.75sec 20m. And also place top 10 in the repeat sprints, 2km and 3km testing and beep tests and it still won't necessarily guarantee you anything.

Yeah I get that some guys who cannot play can test amazingly but everyone in the first round can play football. When you've got a guy who runs a bottom 5% sprint time and repeat sprint time plus has no tank versus somebody who might be a position or 2 lower in your rankings but puts up times in the top 25% you would surely give it some thought.

I was staggered when i found out that Wilkinson tested so well in the 20m sprint. He always looked slow on the footy field to me.

Yeah I get that some guys who cannot play can test amazingly but everyone in the first round can play football. When you've got a guy who runs a bottom 5% sprint time and repeat sprint time plus has no tank versus somebody who might be a position or 2 lower in your rankings but puts up times in the top 25% you would surely give it some thought.

Even then it doesn't concern me.

Gary Ablett, Dane Swan, Patrick Dangerfield, Cyril Rioli. None of these guys came in with great endurance.

Then you can be as slow as Jobe Watson was when draft.

I'd like to see how quick a guy goes out on the field. Or how quickly a player gets to the ball relative to the next guy.

Lewis Jetta over 20m it might surprise some people but he only managed a 2.95sec. But then on the field he takes on the game as well as any in the competition when he's up and going. 0.20 seconds slower than Joel Wilkinson.

It's not how you test. It's how you use your attributes in games.

I was staggered when i found out that Wilkinson tested so well in the 20m sprint. He always looked slow on the footy field to me.

Wilkinson has closing speed and while I make an example of him I think he could be an effective role player in the Toovey/Nick Smith sense if given more time as he's one of the more disciplined guys. Some guys just utilise their assets better in game and Wilkinson with that offensive running and I'd say the same about Collingwood's Caolan Mooney while he's improved in this regard. It's just not natural for everyone with some guys track stars and others guys who can execute their skills on the field which is always the key.

Scharenberg is a damaging kick. Just some inconsistencies at times.

You've got a good eye picking out Carr and Squire.

Carr is not a big body. He's a one way running high volume accumulator who doesn't like to handball but can do some damage with his penetrating kick. Very draftable.

Alex Carr played some late games in the season where he certainly demonstrated a defensive side to his game. If anything, he went a little too defensive at the stoppages (eg facing away from the ruck contest), so I'm assuming it was something he was told to work on.

He can kick long when there are better options by hand, but that can be developed. Sneaky chance to be drafted for sure.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

KM would u be disappointed if we took McCarthy at 10?

Also like Lennon at 10, but would u rather Lennon or Acres? Or either or?

I'm an Acres man. He'd be my pick over Lennon. He's a class above.

McCarthy at 10 I'd be ok with. We have no key forwards under 25 so it's just a question of whether we like McCarthy enough to take him at 10 or wait till next year when there is a greater depth of options to be available.

I'm an Acres man. He'd be my pick over Lennon. He's a class above.

McCarthy at 10 I'd be ok with. We have no key forwards under 25 so it's just a question of whether we like McCarthy enough to take him at 10 or wait till next year when there is a greater depth of options to be available.

The two you'd like at picks 6 and 10 (Bontempelli and Acres) are the two I'd really like available at pick 11.

Even then it doesn't concern me.

Gary Ablett, Dane Swan, Patrick Dangerfield, Cyril Rioli. None of these guys came in with great endurance.

Then you can be as slow as Jobe Watson was when draft.

I'd like to see how quick a guy goes out on the field. Or how quickly a player gets to the ball relative to the next guy.

Lewis Jetta over 20m it might surprise some people but he only managed a 2.95sec. But then on the field he takes on the game as well as any in the competition when he's up and going. 0.20 seconds slower than Joel Wilkinson.

It's not how you test. It's how you use your attributes in games.

I agree with the last sentence, about Lennon though, he bombed everything, not just the endurance tests. Didn't show great endurance, but didn't show great jumping ability, speed or agility either. Rioli and Dangerfield were quick, and Swan and Watson were rightly not considered top draft picks at the start of their career. It's hard to know what Lennon will do, I definitely think he can make it, but he'll need to work hard to get himself up to AFL standard, so there's a bit of risk there. I wouldn't call Lennon a safe pick like I would to say Sheed or Dunstan.

It's interesting to see how you generally ignore testing, whereas Quigley seems to place more of an emphasis on it.

The two you'd like at picks 6 and 10 (Bontempelli and Acres) are the two I'd really like available at pick 11.

They're the two I'm increasingly hoping for the Pies to get with those two first round selections.

I haven't heard interest from the Pies in Acres but I'm hoping like anything that he'll be that eventual selection as someone who short term could fill the back flank need and eventually move into the midfield.

Acres is a fair chance of being available at 11 so don't give up hope just yet. A great fit for WCE if available I have to agree.

He's got that height, movement and class the other WCE mids just don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back