Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the last sentence, about Lennon though, he bombed everything, not just the endurance tests. Didn't show great endurance, but didn't show great jumping ability, speed or agility either. Rioli and Dangerfield were quick, and Swan and Watson were rightly not considered top draft picks at the start of their career. It's hard to know what Lennon will do, I definitely think he can make it, but he'll need to work hard to get himself up to AFL standard, so there's a bit of risk there. I wouldn't call Lennon a safe pick like I would to say Sheed or Dunstan.

It's interesting to see how you generally ignore testing, whereas Quigley seems to place more of an emphasis on it.

I consider myself a student of the game in that I really enjoy studying the draft, the dynamics of each list every year and how guys go in the u18 testing relative to how their careers go.

Lennon I see as someone who if things work out has the opportunity to follow a Steve Johnson type career path. He doesn't have those personality problems Johnson had early career but in a similar way I think his game will as was the case with Johnson time to develop and be suitable for senior football. I'm not 100% convinced which way he goes but I'm relatively optimistic none the less that with 2-3 years in the system he can become a handy, versatile tall just not nearly the star Johnson has become.

So I also agree with your feel with Lennon where he's not someone I'd class as a safe selection at all.

Josh Kelly is one example of a guy I see having a certain AFL career and someone I see as an incredibly safe selection. I just don't see him becoming a star and more likely a slightly better Andrew Gaff. Those taller mids like Bontempelli, Lennon even Scharenberg I attach some risk to, to be perfectly honest. But they all have the opportunity to develop into big time footballers if things go right.

Quigley knows those recruits he's seen plenty of in greater depth than probably anyone on this site as many I'm sure have gathered by the quality of his bios of the years which are absolutely exceptional. I have some different values in terms of what I look for in a recruit (everyone does so this is no criticism) and my values have developed over time with every season. But I'm increasingly confident in those values (primarily being around contested ball and showing me on the field and not on the track).

Love your work Knightmare.

If essendon want garlett do you think they will need to take him at #26 considering their next pick is #55?

Garlett's draft range as most have alluded to is exceptionally unclear. Will he go 2nd round? Will he go late draft? Will he go rookie draft? Will he go undrafted again? All of these answers are plausible in Garlett's situation.

There are only some are speculating between 4-8 teams even considering Garlett with the others from my understanding saying a firm no.

It's not certain he'll be available at 55 as someone who probably comes into calculations for some clubs in the third round but at 26 I wouldn't be particularly confident in him as a long term prospect for a club so that's something Essendon will need to weight up with Garlett if they're indeed looking seriously at him again this year.

Hey KM

How do you see the rate of NSW/QLD/aboriginal players getting drafted this year?

Are they on a downhill slide?

NSW aren't usually a big time recruiting ground with the state all rugby focused. They here and there develop some talents. Lloyd Perris is the good one this year and there will always be 2-3 a strong case can be made for each year but we've rarely ever seen more than that or the absolute top end talents coming for NSW.

QLD is much the same story as another state who plainly don't care about AFL. That said QLD have in fairly recent seasons really developed some excellent talents, particularly those talls from QLD have been excellent. The issue with the QLD talent is that their development program is poor and some of those projected as 17 year olds to be first or second round selections usually have poor seasons as 18 year olds.

As for the indigenous talent. There is some. Jay Kennedy-Harris might be the first drafted this year. I'm expecting a stronger crop next year though. Jarrod Pickett is particularly special and Clem Smith also has some ability so they'll be two notable high end talents to keep an eye out for next year.

Garlett's draft range as most have alluded to is exceptionally unclear. Will he go 2nd round? Will he go late draft? Will he go rookie draft? Will he go undrafted again? All of these answers are plausible in Garlett's situation.

There are only some are speculating between 4-8 teams even considering Garlett with the others from my understanding saying a firm no.

It's not certain he'll be available at 55 as someone who probably comes into calculations for some clubs in the third round but at 26 I wouldn't be particularly confident in him as a long term prospect for a club so that's something Essendon will need to weight up with Garlett if they're indeed looking seriously at him again this year.

There are a lot of fans obsessed with Garlett, particularly for their 2nd or 3rd round picks.
Just got to lol over the amount of attention being put into Garlett ATM.

Acres is a fair chance of being available at 11 so don't give up hope just yet. A great fit for WCE if available I have to agree.

He's got that height, movement and class the other WCE mids just don't have.
And for this reason, as well as Simpson's penchant for quality ball users and versatility, Acres seems like the logical choice at 11. It must come down to whether we think Acres could develop into an inside-mid, if so, it would surely be worthwhile to select him over Sheed.

In your opinion, is Sheed as much of a lock as the consensus would seem to believe? If we were to bypass Sheed at 11, where do you think he will end up (provided he isn't taken before hand, which is likely given the class available in the top 10). How far could he slide?

G'day mate, love your work.

Just a question about the Cats, Lewis Taylor is growing on me by the day. Forgetting the fact that he's a local boy he just looks to have so much class. What do you think the chances are of him sliding to #16 and if so surely we would take him wouldn't we?

I'm not sure that he necessarily fits our needs but i see him as somebody who simply has too much ability to let slide.

Knightmare I have confirmation from a source at the Falcons that Gold Coast has told Acres that if he is available at pick 20 they will definitely be taking him.

What are the chances of him slipping to pick 20? I understand it to be very small?

They're the two I'm increasingly hoping for the Pies to get with those two first round selections.

I haven't heard interest from the Pies in Acres but I'm hoping like anything that he'll be that eventual selection as someone who short term could fill the back flank need and eventually move into the midfield.

Acres is a fair chance of being available at 11 so don't give up hope just yet. A great fit for WCE if available I have to agree.

He's got that height, movement and class the other WCE mids just don't have.

Shuey has the class, skill, movement, speed. Just needs to keep fit and get a little more support, i.e. someone else who can break from a pack. Like Acres

Knightmare I have confirmation from a source at the Falcons that Gold Coast has told Acres that if he is available at pick 20 they will definitely be taking him.

What are the chances of him slipping to pick 20? I understand it to be very small?
Heard the same thing also and St Kilda and Pies are also looking at him hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im thinking Hawthorn, St Kilda, Carlton, Adelaide. Am i close?

Id say st kilda would be out now since they sacked watters and dont need any more bad press

Well three have been outed this morning. All 3 plus Collingwood who have had blokes at Swan District games working with him on specific aspects of his games.

I've said all along this guy is a top 10-15 talent in this draft and he was top 10 this year. Been surprised some think he wont go this year. The changes this kid has made to his life have been remarkable and many kids have gone years before for doing less. I think the scope of this kids problems have gone a bit over the top at times as well.

If Sydney want to play him round one he is ready to go.

With the sheer quantity of quality in that Sydney midfield I see a round one debut on that team as difficult though. More likely he'd be an immediate depth and injury cover type as someone exceptionally capable of coming in and holding his own if and when required.

They also have a few of his type already.

Knightmare have you heard somewhere that Brisbane are heavily into Freeman or is it just your opinion on how the cards will fall? I'm still crossing my fingers he gets to Melbourne at 9.

And for this reason, as well as Simpson's penchant for quality ball users and versatility, Acres seems like the logical choice at 11. It must come down to whether we think Acres could develop into an inside-mid, if so, it would surely be worthwhile to select him over Sheed.

In your opinion, is Sheed as much of a lock as the consensus would seem to believe? If we were to bypass Sheed at 11, where do you think he will end up (provided he isn't taken before hand, which is likely given the class available in the top 10). How far could he slide?

The consensus may be Sheed but until the draft happens there is still the possibility of that changing.

The selection probably is Sheed given all the media speculation but you can never quite know for sure.

If WCE pass on Sheed then he'd start to come under consideration from Carlton at 13 and would go somewhere in those next few selections.

G'day mate, love your work.

Just a question about the Cats, Lewis Taylor is growing on me by the day. Forgetting the fact that he's a local boy he just looks to have so much class. What do you think the chances are of him sliding to #16 and if so surely we would take him wouldn't we?

I'm not sure that he necessarily fits our needs but i see him as somebody who simply has too much ability to let slide.

Lewis Taylor is a good one. Geelong have typically favoured those taller mids but in the case of Lewis Taylor I think he's a better talent than those other recent super smalls so if he's there it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was the eventual selection. I just think he may go 2-3 selections too early for Geelong.

Not many clubs go into drafts looking for small mids but with Geelong's midfield still needing a bit more and few smalls on the list he's probably a better fit for Geelong than most others teams.

Acres will have to be available at pick 20 first and as you identified it's highly unlikely.

I struggle to see him slipping past the late teens and I haven't ruled out his chances of going earlier than expected.

What do you know about him?

Always thought he was overrated.

I've seen a relatively small sample size but what limited I've seen has impressed. Strong mark. Hits the scoreboard. Has some athleticism. I'm interested to see more of him next year.

Knightmare have you heard somewhere that Brisbane are heavily into Freeman or is it just your opinion on how the cards will fall? I'm still crossing my fingers he gets to Melbourne at 9.

I have not heard anything so concrete no. That Brisbane pick has been of the top 10 picks the less clear selection. Many have speculated Ben Lennon. Others Matt Scharenberg. Bontempelli if there perhaps. Others think Brisbane might go tall and reach for Cameron McCarthy.
So it really depends on who you ask.

Freeman is someone who feels like someone Brisbane would select. Brisbane in recent years looking at their drafting trends have favoured those who have tested well and particularly those who perform well in the endurance testing. Freeman fits with this theme and is someone who has been speculated as going in roughly that range so I'm testing the waters with someone a little different to those who have been mentioned until I hear something more concrete.

QLD is much the same story as another state who plainly don't care about AFL. That said QLD have in fairly recent seasons really developed some excellent talents, particularly those talls from QLD have been excellent. The issue with the QLD talent is that their development program is poor and some of those projected as 17 year olds to be first or second round selections usually have poor seasons as 18 year olds.

Apparently Queensland will be playing in the TAC cup from next year, so that should help their visibility and development as 18 year olds.

Well three have been outed this morning. All 3 plus Collingwood who have had blokes at Swan District games working with him on specific aspects of his games.

I've said all along this guy is a top 10-15 talent in this draft and he was top 10 this year. Been surprised some think he wont go this year. The changes this kid has made to his life have been remarkable and many kids have gone years before for doing less. I think the scope of this kids problems have gone a bit over the top at times as well.

Changes eh?

Do you think Dogs draft could go
4: J. Aish
42: B. Brown/T. Nankervis
60: N. Bourke
96: M. Gibbons
116: Rookie upgrade(B. Goodes)
Is this possible and would it be a good draft for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back