Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's too early for Conlon at this stage, you guys would find a very good outside mid at that pick in this draft.
Yeah, agreed. Desperately need a key forward so we've got another one developing, so hoping that Boyd is there. Otherwise would really love to get our hands on another first round pick in the 10-20 range; Sheed/Kelly/Billings + Conlon would be a dream in my mind. Not sure how we'd get that pick though, don't really have much trade bait of any worth.

In your opinion, if we have a pick somewhere in the vicinity of 3-6 and Boyd is gone, should we have a look at Conlon? He's superb at full forward imo but just suffers from being used far too much in the ruck. That said, it's probably not smart or easy to pass on one of Sheed/Kelly/Billings at that pick.

I'd personally pass on Conlon. He is more intrigue than a known, dominant force at this stage with those dominant early rounds last year where the significant intrigue comes from. Until he is that dominant force and we know who he is this year I'd say Boyd or best available non kpp.

With Clark,Hogan, Dawes and Howe i can't see the Demons selecting Boyd if he is available at their pick. The Demons need mids - urgently. With Paton going down with a knee and having had knee issues last year as well GWS may pick Boyd as insurance. They may as well as they have at least two young guns for every other position!!

More quality mids for the Dees for sure. Boyd could play in defense though, right? I think he was playing in defense when I watched the AIS videos. Some of his defensive efforts are what stood out most and made me ask who number 30 was. I was surprised when told he is a ruck/KPF.

Melbourne despite having the weakest midfield in the competition do have a strong key position core - Hogan, Frawley and Clark are all quality and guys you can build around.

If Boyd is evaluated as the best player available then maybe he comes under consideration, because he and Hogan, that combination can do some damage. But Melbourne to improve need midfield help first and progress won't happen until then.

Knightmare, what would you think Tom Mitchell from the Sydney Swans would be worth in terms of a pick in this draft?

Would there be any merit to the Dees trading their first pick for him and the Swans first pick?

Let's say 1-4 for Mitchell and 16-18.

I know the Swans would be loathe to let him go, but he hasn't been given a chance so far (also because of injuries and a brilliant midfield) and would probably have more of an immediate impact then a new draftee - plus it's pretty fair compensation.

Knightmare, what would you think Tom Mitchell from the Sydney Swans would be worth in terms of a pick in this draft?

Would there be any merit to the Dees trading their first pick for him and the Swans first pick?

Let's say 1-4 for Mitchell and 16-18.

I know the Swans would be loathe to let him go, but he hasn't been given a chance so far (also because of injuries and a brilliant midfield) and would probably have more of an immediate impact then a new draftee - plus it's pretty fair compensation.

Tom Mitchell to acquire would cost minimum a top 10 pick if not a top 5 pick in the surprising scenario they did decide to trade him. Despite not yet playing he is a guy who was just so outstanding as a junior that when he gets healthy the expectations are still that high that he is going to produce.

Doing the pick switch and Mitchell trade is interesting. I don't see Sydney trading him but if they did this deal would no doubt intrigue with the chance for an Aish or Sheed early.

In Melbourne's situation I wouldn't persue it myself though. Mitchell hasn't done anything yet so there is no reason to trade into him at such a price. Melbourne just need more experience right now first before anything else in my view. Quality veteran leadership needs to come into the team to enable the young players to develop, which is a large reason why I believe the Melbourne list build has been slower than the high draft picks suggest with the list turnover these past 5 years just killing the list and making it worse every year.

I'd look to GWS as a model for development. You're obviously not going to get those same consessions to develop the list with those same high draft picks. What you can however do is bring in a bunch of veterans (6-7 perhaps) who have during their career demonstrated that they can lead. Perhaps a guy can be convinced to come back for retirement or perhaps another is 30 and his opportunities are drying up.

In Melbourne terms it's about having those James McDonald's around the club and having a group of these with a culture built around these experienced players there to help teach and develop the young core coming through - being your Viney's and Hogan's among others. And have that significant attitude shift from moving these veterans on and into retirement or other teams lists and instead keeping them around and inviting more to come along for the redevelopment. Perhaps as a pathway to extend their career, perhaps as a pathway into coaching or a bit of both.

As for some ideas of players to target. I'd look to bring Brock McLean back if he can be had for a low round draft pick at some point. Joel Corey if he is on the outer at years end would be a heck of a get. Michael Firrito, Chris Newman, Adam Selwood, Daniel Cross. I'm sure others could be named with similar leadership credential who may be available on the cheap. But the more the better.

After that it's about finding the best talent possible in whatever way you can - whichever route Melbourne think they can best add talent.

Hey Knightmare,

Was just wondering what prospects you think Essendon will be looking at (the most realistic in terms of what picks they would have). What positions do you think they require a new young talent to fix a weakness or hole in your opinion? Personally I hope we take a risk on Garlett this year if he cleans up his act and plays good footy.

Hey Knightmare,

Was just wondering what prospects you think Essendon will be looking at (the most realistic in terms of what picks they would have). What positions do you think they require a new young talent to fix a weakness or hole in your opinion? Personally I hope we take a risk on Garlett this year if he cleans up his act and plays good footy.

It will really come down to ladder finish. If a top 4 ladder finish as I'm predicting for Essendon right now I'd say you're looking at a Bontempelli, D.Wilson or N.Robertson to further add to that midfield.

If Essendon don't finish top 4 then a Ben Lennon may be available and be one to strongly considered if there.

Jay Kennedy-Harris is one second round to look out. He can be your crumbing forward but also very capable of pushing up into the midfield. To this point has produced the goods and has some Andrew Krakouer to his game.

Dayle Garlett I feel is very much worth a shot. He has had his issues, but there are some worse guys in the AFL system. He's a high production, damaging player who is an AFL quality talent already so not much to lose if he can be had on the cheap with a late round draft selection or rookie selection.

Observing this years games so far Knightmare, have you seen enough to suggest this draft runs deep and has quality names?

It depends on what you are looking for.

Not deep at all for talls. It's Boyd, maybe Conlon and a group of key defenders. Not good at all for ruckmen.

Otherwise I'd say it's an above average draft. Certainly better than what we've had to endure in recent times with all those draft consessions. Top end looking good and the depth excellent. Some very good players could be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Not deep at all for talls. It's Boyd, maybe Conlon and a group of key defenders. Not good at all for ruckmen.

Otherwise I'd say it's an above average draft. Certainly better than what we've had to endure in recent times with all those draft consessions. Top end looking good and the depth excellent. Some very good players could be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

We've got pretty much a great depth of talls I reckon.

Any players you reckon could end up a Bomber?

Any Jake Stringer or Jesse Lonergan like bodies going around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM, care to give us a write-up on Jarman Impey? I'm still trying to get a handle on him myself.

Impey reminds me of Chad Wingard. A shoter version at around 177cm but he is similarly damaging. More of a forward at this stage but can go into the midfield but just does big damage whenever he gets his hands on it and is and finds plenty of it. Has quickness and can hit the scoreboard in a hurry and really take over games and be a big time goalkicker whether it be forward or through the midfield.

Impey somewhere in the second round would be a good get.

We've got pretty much a great depth of talls I reckon.

Any players you reckon could end up a Bomber?

Any Jake Stringer or Jesse Lonergan like bodies going around?

When selecting deep into the 1st round it could be any number of guys. Way too early to be connecting players to any club. For Essendon Bontempelli, D.Wilson, Robertson, Reynolds are all guys I can see being available and considered. If finishing outside the top 4 Lennon or Dumont could be good gets and others if available I could see looked at.

The only real big bodies in this draft are Dunstan, Crouch and Dumont. Dumont is the more likely available. But they are your real inside midfielders who can bang inside with the big boys.

Dayle Garlett I feel is very much worth a shot. He has had his issues, but there are some worse guys in the AFL system. He's a high production, damaging player who is an AFL quality talent already so not much to lose if he can be had on the cheap with a late round draft selection or rookie selection.

Dayle Garlett would need a miracle to get a look in with his issues. Talented, absolutely, but off field he's got too many issues.

Nice early write up knight.... I think the lions need to find a top quality inside mid like Selwood, Wines, Peds etc... Someone capable of winning hard balls and extracting by foot from packs. Any early shortlist of these types to watch out for?

Nice early write up knight.... I think the lions need to find a top quality inside mid like Selwood, Wines, Peds etc... Someone capable of winning hard balls and extracting by foot from packs. Any early shortlist of these types to watch out for?

Dunstan, Crouch and Dumont are your quality inside mids this year who should all feature in the 1st round if the draft was completed tomorrow.

Dominic Sheed while more your combo mid may just end up the best mid of the lot so he is another to watch for if available.

Hey mate, many forward/ruckmen types in this draft? Talking the Quinten Lynch/David Hale type role who can relieve the #1 ruck or even carry the load, but still a very capable forward. We had Stanley set for that role but he's in the backline now which has left us with a huge hole in the forward line.

Hey mate, many forward/ruckmen types in this draft? Talking the Quinten Lynch/David Hale type role who can relieve the #1 ruck or even carry the load, but still a very capable forward. We had Stanley set for that role but he's in the backline now which has left us with a huge hole in the forward line.

Cameron Conlon is the best of this type and likely will be available in St Kilda's range in that first round. He's excellent as a key forward and can play those minor ruck minutes as required.

I reckon Dayle Garlett will go a lot higher than 69 if he keeps it up. Had some issues pre-season but seems to have knuckled down and was close to BOG on the weekend with 30 poss, 2 goals for Swans.

Too good to be playing WAFL. If his attitude is there, he could go first round.

Garlett blew his chances last year with a lot of clubs. Essendon or bust I would say at this stage. After the Fremantle game Dodoro stayed behind to watch him play. We must still be interested if he can clean up his off-field antics.

KM, the Demons need to pursue a quality established mid at the end of this season to assist development of Viney and Toumpas and get the ball forward to Hogan, Clark, Dawes and Howe. You mentioned in an earlier post McLean would be a good get for a low draft pick - I agree. They should also look at restricted mids such as Thomas from the Pies. How about trading for Swan or a similar mid from another club? With their quality KP's the Demons could turn it around fairly quickly with an injection of a top qulity player in the midfield. The Demons will have plenty of money to splash at years end and will forward ,load a big contract. Davey is in the last year of a 4 year good money deal. He will either be offered a significantly lower salary or be delisted at years end.
The Demons will have to be able to convince likely recruits that they can turn it around fairly quickly with a mid boost - also money makes players walk.

KM, the Demons need to pursue a quality established mid at the end of this season to assist development of Viney and Toumpas and get the ball forward to Hogan, Clark, Dawes and Howe. You mentioned in an earlier post McLean would be a good get for a low draft pick - I agree. They should also look at restricted mids such as Thomas from the Pies. How about trading for Swan or a similar mid from another club? With their quality KP's the Demons could turn it around fairly quickly with an injection of a top qulity player in the midfield. The Demons will have plenty of money to splash at years end and will forward ,load a big contract. Davey is in the last year of a 4 year good money deal. He will either be offered a significantly lower salary or be delisted at years end.
The Demons will have to be able to convince likely recruits that they can turn it around fairly quickly with a mid boost - also money makes players walk.

Melbourne won't be getting anyone of any worth like a Swan, Thomas, Franklin etc. No one wants to go there. They will only be able to rebuild through the draft and going after fringe players like Dawes is not a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back