Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM, forgot to mention that Scarlett on Open Mike did not rate Ablett jrn in his top 5 players of his time in the AFL. He explained that he did not rate mids because mids were easy to replace compared to key position players. If this theory is right then the Demons might be on the right track. It also means the Blues with their gun smalls and lack of real quality KP's might find it hard to step up and make a GF I expect them to make a bid for a player like a Gumbleton at years end.

KM, forgot to mention that Scarlett on Open Mike did not rate Ablett jrn in his top 5 players of his time in the AFL. He explained that he did not rate mids because mids were easy to replace compared to key position players. If this theory is right then the Demons might be on the right track. It also means the Blues with their gun smalls and lack of real quality KP's might find it hard to step up and make a GF I expect them to make a bid for a player like a Gumbleton at years end.

Gumbleton will be playing every week now. He will be FF and Hurley will be CHF with Crameri on a HFF. So good luck with that Carlton.

Gumbleton will be playing every week now. He will be FF and Hurley will be CHF with Crameri on a HFF. So good luck with that Carlton.

What about when Ryder comes back?

And when Daniher is pushing for a spot?

Gumby is the last in your line of KPF's.

He'll want out.

What about when Ryder comes back?

And when Daniher is pushing for a spot?

Gumby is the last in your line of KPF's.

He'll want out.

Daniher will be wrapped in cotton wool all season and may only play 1-2 games if at all. Gumbleton will keep his spot for at least this season. Ryder will just have to keep up rotations with Bellchambers and play less forward. He had been playing better in the ruck than forward until he was suspended.

Sure - Gumbleton may keep his spot this season, I agree.

But if you're Gumbleton, do you ask for a trade while you've got some interest and value?

Or do you wait till the end of next season after playing a year in the VFL.

Is Dwayne Wilson the only indigenous player this year worth considering in the first round?

That Willy Rioli guy is talented. Don't sleep on him either.

I reckon Dayle Garlett will go a lot higher than 69 if he keeps it up. Had some issues pre-season but seems to have knuckled down and was close to BOG on the weekend with 30 poss, 2 goals for Swans.

Too good to be playing WAFL. If his attitude is there, he could go first round.

He's a first round talent any year. As thesource has pointed out he has his issues so there is no guarantee that any club invests at all. It will be very interesting to see which way he goes but so far this year signs have been that he is on the improve as a person which is the most critical aspect to him getting drafted because we all know he can play.

KM, the Demons need to pursue a quality established mid at the end of this season to assist development of Viney and Toumpas and get the ball forward to Hogan, Clark, Dawes and Howe. You mentioned in an earlier post McLean would be a good get for a low draft pick - I agree. They should also look at restricted mids such as Thomas from the Pies. How about trading for Swan or a similar mid from another club? With their quality KP's the Demons could turn it around fairly quickly with an injection of a top qulity player in the midfield. The Demons will have plenty of money to splash at years end and will forward ,load a big contract. Davey is in the last year of a 4 year good money deal. He will either be offered a significantly lower salary or be delisted at years end.
The Demons will have to be able to convince likely recruits that they can turn it around fairly quickly with a mid boost - also money makes players walk.

When I say persue estalibhsed players, I'm talking trade nothing more than a 3rd round selection and preferrably look at these as late draft/free agents. Any guy nearing retirement age, veterans who are unwanted or guys who have just retired are the guys I'd be going after if they show they could from a leadership perspective be an asset, regardless of how passed their best they are.

D.Thomas is a potential free agent target but not sure he'd want to go to rebuilding situation. Swan is contracted and unless you believe Caroline Wilson he's not going anywhere. But if for whatever reason he did fall out of favour with Collingwood then certainly he could be a target if no one else wants him. Reason being on the track he trains as hard as anyone in the competition. That sets the example for young players to follow and having that type of trainer on the list will only help those developing midfielders and show them the standard they need to aspire for.

Garlett blew his chances last year with a lot of clubs. Essendon or bust I would say at this stage. After the Fremantle game Dodoro stayed behind to watch him play. We must still be interested if he can clean up his off-field antics.
Nope.

If he improves his attitude, any club will happily take him, not just the bombers.

I don't agree with his view that Ablett Jr is/won't be a top 5 all time player. I think he's already just about there but with his career still in progress it's not completely clear cut. Unlike Scarlett I wouldn't disqualify a guy from being a top 5 all timer because he is a midfielder. If you're dominant you're that dominant and it shouldn't matter where you play. I'd be fine calling a back pocket a top 5 all timer if there was one day one that dominant that he deserved to be in there.

My view with rucks and kpps is that because there are less of them than midfielders their value is rightfully the highest if they are the absolute the most elite and dominant of their type. The reason being because there is a fewer number of these types relative to midfielders it gives you that greatest possible matchup edge.

But without a quality midfield you're still not going to get it done. Simple as that. Reason being midfielders are involved in more plays than players of other positions. That building of the midfield is something Melbourne and those vast majority of other teams still building need to improve.

The problem is that the Demons urgently need an A grade mid who can assist Jones, Grimes, Trengove, Viney and Toumpas develop into A graders themselves and quicken the turnaround. If we cannot get one through restricted or unrestricted rules I think they should throw their 1st round pick on the table (1 - pick 3) - Eddy would probably pay for Swans Taxi to the MFC for a top pick - unlike the Demons the Magpies would probably pick up a gun.
Sheedy has said he will trade for Ruckman. Could be some interesting developments here. Warnock may be on the table as might Corringe.

Hey km

If you're the dogs and Boyd/aish are off the board, who would you be taking? Kelly seems like a nice fit

I'd probably go for Boyd first in the Dogs situation. Quality talls are harder to get and with Boyd there I couldn't go past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry km, meant if Boyd/aish are both gone, who would you take to fit with our young core?

Sorry. Had a late night. Clearly.

I'd be looking at Sheed as that next guy. For mine he's in that conversation for the no.1 overall selection and possibly even a touch more talented than Aish.

Sharenberg if I were you, can never have to much midfield depth and he can play down back.
Scharenberg's kicking is still a bit suspect, for mine. He's a top player but if there are no talented KPFs worth that early pick we desperately need skill and pace. Sheed would be the guy I'd look at, personally. Maybe Kelly or Billings.

Actually he wouldn't be a bad pick for the Dogs with his size and versatility but I still think Dunstan is the clear number three.
I really like Dunstan and I agree that he's probably third in line (disagree that it's by a fair margin though), but I think Whitten Oval would be burned to the ground if we took another inside mid with a top three pick.

Scharenberg's kicking is still a bit suspect, for mine. He's a top player but if there are no talented KPFs worth that early pick we desperately need skill and pace. Sheed would be the guy I'd look at, personally. Maybe Kelly or Billings.

Kelly is so light, he is 69kg. I would take Sheed well before him. Billings would be an excellent choice.

Kelly is so light, he is 69kg. I would take Sheed well before him. Billings would be an excellent choice.
Yeah, Kelly's really frustrating for me because I really love his skills and pace, but he's so much of an outside mid (and light, as you say) that it's hard to say how he'll go at the top level.

How do you view Jay Canterbury from Oakleigh? Haven't really seen a lot but have heard that some rate him...
Also Brett Borland is another guy that probably won't get drafted but is solid. How do you view these guys KM?

Yeah, Kelly's really frustrating for me because I really love his skills and pace, but he's so much of an outside mid (and light, as you say) that it's hard to say how he'll go at the top level.

If I were the Bulldogs I would be looking for players with the ready made frame or at least players with potential to put on enough weight over their first pre-season to be able to stand up and have immediate impact.

Look at Ollie Wines, Jake Stringer, Jaegar O'Meara (even though he was taken in the mini draft and had an extra season to put on muscle), Brad Crouch (same as O'Meara), who have all come in and had immediate impact, that's what I think the Dogs need more of at the moment.

I don't rate Kelly as high as some others seem to. Skills and endurance are good attributes but he's not all that productive in his games.

If I were the Bulldogs I would be looking for players with the ready made frame or at least players with potential to put on enough weight over their first pre-season to be able to stand up and have immediate impact.

Look at Ollie Wines, Jake Stringer, Jaegar O'Meara (even though he was taken in the mini draft and had an extra season to put on muscle), Brad Crouch (same as O'Meara), who have all come in and had immediate impact, that's what I think the Dogs need more of at the moment.
Yeah, very fair assessment. I'd be looking at Sheed with our first pick and trying to get our hands on another pick in the 10-20 range; would hopefully grab someone like Ben Lennon. I'd be looking for some mature recruits with late picks (Willie Wheeler, Justin Hardy) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back