Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM have you got any info on two academy players for the swans Watson and Green both made the best for NSW

Harrison Green is draft age this year.

Watson next year.

Watson I haven't watched out for so I don't have any information for you on his game.

Green though is going ok and has shown some real pace. Very light bodied though but if he and his body develop he could develop on a wing. A rookie possible type selection depending on Sydney's view on his game.

Noticed you have Perris at 15 in your rankings. Wouldn't that mean he would have to go in your 1st round pick for Sydney looking at this article? Obviously someone would have to bid on him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-30/southern-clubs-in-mix-for-top-queenslanders

Perris would not go 1st round. He's a player where in the back end of the 1st round and early 2nd round I'd look strongly at him if he was just another prospect in the draft but he's largely viewed more as a guy who would otherwise go around the 3rd round as he isn't as advanced as other midfielders in this draft. Likely under the bidding Sydney can get Perris for a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Conway and Tickner are the two more likely to get bids higher placed on them and Brisbane may need to spend their 2nd and 3rd round selections if they want the pair.

Perris would not go 1st round. He's a player where in the back end of the 1st round and early 2nd round I'd look strongly at him if he was just another prospect in the draft but he's largely viewed more as a guy who would otherwise go around the 3rd round as he isn't as advanced as other midfielders in this draft. Likely under the bidding Sydney can get Perris for a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Conway and Tickner are the two more likely to get bids higher placed on them and Brisbane may need to spend their 2nd and 3rd round selections if they want the pair.

I'm not sure I understand. By the rankings you have Perris in at 16, is that a typo then?
And what do you exactly mean by isn't as advanced? He looked better then a lot of other midfielders in the two games that I've seen him play at the champs.

I'm not sure I understand. By the rankings you have Perris in at 16, is that a typo then?
And what do you exactly mean by isn't as advanced? He looked better then a lot of other midfielders in the two games that I've seen him play at the champs.

My power rankings is where I rate everyone.

My phantom draft represents what I think clubs will do without my personal views of particular players coming into it.

Perris is going well. I rate him for a reason. Missed last year with an ACL but he's showing positive signs and strong development this year and is starting to come good.

KM have you got any info on two academy players for the swans Watson and Green both made the best for NSW

Once all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison Green is considered the best out of NSW from this draft crop.

Just for information Aseri Raikiwasa is being played as a forward the past couple of weeks at the Port Magpies by coach Ken McGregor and has shown a bit in that role. Whether that's enough to get him drafted this time round remains to be seen. But he can play and is now showing versatility which should help.

How's luke McDonald been travelling lately KM? Cheers mate

Just for information Aseri Raikiwasa is being played as a forward the past couple of weeks at the Port Magpies by coach Ken McGregor and has shown a bit in that role. Whether that's enough to get him drafted this time round remains to be seen. But he can play and is now showing versatility which should help.

Was not aware of this information.

Thanks for the report FF. Let me know if he continues his strong form up forward.

How's luke McDonald been travelling lately KM? Cheers mate

Has gone well without taking over and dominating in the VFL.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes against the Div 1 sides in the u18 champs.

You know the problem with doing a top 100? It's really obvious when you forget/don't know someone. :p

You're right.

But I'm just not fussed about getting egg on my face because I don't know/haven't noticed/haven't seen/don't rate a particular guy. At this early stage I'm more interested in giving interested fans some names to generate some discussion which is why I extend the top 100 so far at this the mid way point in the season and then cut back to a top 50/60 later in the season.

The other thing to note. After a certain stage with the 18 year olds after around pick 50 history suggests that the mature agers are higher % choices and as a result I've gone with a heavy mature age theme from that point in my draft order with that pick 50 position about where I feel the talent really drops away.

Very nice job you've done here! It's a good read.
Was just wondering if you had anymore to say on James Tsitas, haven't seen any of his games this year so I was wondering how he has progressed?

Very nice job you've done here! It's a good read.
Was just wondering if you had anymore to say on James Tsitas, haven't seen any of his games this year so I was wondering how he has progressed?

He's progressing. Finding more ball more often.

Both his inside and outside game is coming along. Winning more clearances but then linking up better on the outside so he's one of the better balanced mids.

Even starting to hit the scoreboard more which is encouraging and something he didn't do enough last year so hopefully he keeps developing his game of the second half of the season.

He's progressing. Finding more ball more often.

Both his inside and outside game is coming along. Winning more clearances but then linking up better on the outside so he's one of the better balanced mids.

Even starting to hit the scoreboard more which is encouraging and something he didn't do enough last year so hopefully he keeps developing his game of the second half of the season.

Cheers mate, good to hear that his still coming along nicely.
Keep up the good work!

You're right.

But I'm just not fussed about getting egg on my face because I don't know/haven't noticed/haven't seen/don't rate a particular guy. At this early stage I'm more interested in giving interested fans some names to generate some discussion which is why I extend the top 100 so far at this the mid way point in the season and then cut back to a top 50/60 later in the season.

The other thing to note. After a certain stage with the 18 year olds after around pick 50 history suggests that the mature agers are higher % choices and as a result I've gone with a heavy mature age theme from that point in my draft order with that pick 50 position about where I feel the talent really drops away.

Fair enough, my thoughts on a lot of the mature aged names you have thrown out are known so I won't go on about that again. But, I would suggest slotting in Dallas Willsmore, Tom Cutler and Jonathon Marsh in your list somewhere. While there are plenty more I would have in there, those three are genuine top 30 chances. Unless you just don't rate them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, my thoughts on a lot of the mature aged names you have thrown out are known so I won't go on about that again. But, I would suggest slotting in Dallas Willsmore, Tom Cutler and Jonathon Marsh in your list somewhere. While there are plenty more I would have in there, those three are genuine top 30 chances. Unless you just don't rate them?

Willsmore is a big time goalkicker but when he gets going but as a medium sizer with others more dominant not for me at this point.

Cutler I enjoyed the play of last year with his final month very good but I want to see him up and going this year first before moving him into my rankings.

Both coming into the year were in my rankings but I like others more now.

Marsh I had not seen much of coming into the season. Still deciding what I think of him. Some talk of him going high but I'd like to see more first and get a better handle on his game.

hey KM do you see anyone from last years draft class who didn't get selected making enough inroads for a shot this year (without counting garlett) especially haynes, pongracic, and rodda cheers

I really think the Lions will/should go for a pure inside midfielder, as we really only have Rich (who is stalling as a inside player). Redden is playing a more Rory Solane like role these days after failing at center bounces, and Rockliff is ur kane cornes type who can accumulate but aint damaging. We need players who can win the hard ball and has elite composure and skills to create the play...Thoughts on the options in these areas? By your little write up Sheed sounds promising

I really think the Lions will/should go for a pure inside midfielder, as we really only have Rich (who is stalling as a inside player). Redden is playing a more Rory Solane like role these days after failing at center bounces, and Rockliff is ur kane cornes type who can accumulate but aint damaging. We need players who can win the hard ball and has elite composure and skills to create the play...Thoughts on the options in these areas? By your little write up Sheed sounds promising

If your recruiters think along the same lines as yourself then Sheed is a really good fit and he projects to around your draft pick.

Brisbane don't have anyone in their midfield to even remotely compare to Rory Sloane, he is head and shoulders above any young player you have in your midfield.
Now you got Black back, he is be your best midfielder by a country mile, even at his old age #gun

hey KM do you see anyone from last years draft class who didn't get selected making enough inroads for a shot this year (without counting garlett) especially haynes, pongracic, and rodda cheers

Plenty.

All of Haynes, Pongracic and Rodda will receive some consideration again and are rated still by some. Of that group Haynes in particular I feel is very draftable with his pace and the increasing damage he is doing with the footy.
Pongracic isn't finding a stack of it in the VFL but is competing well and showing improvement up the field which is encouraging.
Then Rodda has been playing forward more in the WAFL which is a good move and a better positional fit for him being a bigger body.

Louis Herbert is one I really like again. Last year was an inconsistent marking forward who could really hit the scoreboard. Now he's playing more up the field on a wing mostly and is accumulating to a very high standard, linking up well but then doing damage with his long kicking. He's another Clinton Young if looking for a comparison but has more ability to swing forward and present up at the footy as an option in addition to do all those same things.

Tom Langdon has continued his strong development and as a back flanker/midfielder a very good choice.

Josh Scott is again dominating as a forward and has taken his game to another level.

Lachlan Cassidy is accumulating the footy as well as anyone in the TAC right now and is a big improver.

Josh Glenn off a back flank is a big improver from SA.

Michael Wood from WA while still light as a forward has found some consistency and has converted his good play into the seniors.

Jarrod Stokes as your Jeff Garlett type small forward has as much pace as anyone you'll ever see. Great pressure player and his running game with ball in hand incredible. Improving his execution in front of goal and is looking a touch better than last year.

Sam Heavyside as a small midfielder continues to dominate. Missed the second half of last year with injury but as an inside player there are few better at winning their own footy. One of the smartest inside players going around.

Samuel Lowrie has continued his development and as a strong bodied midfielder/defender could be an option.

Toby Nankervis from TAS has elevated his game and as a strong bodied key forward/ruckman may come into the picture if clubs think he can continue to do what he's doing now against bigger bodies.

Emmanuel Irra and Nic Amato from the SANFL also worth another look.

For pure inside I'd go Crouch. He's not a super polished type but more your workman inside type who will win all the inside ball and tackle like a beast. Whether you spend a top 5 pick on him is the question.

With the range Brisbane are likely to be picking in Sheed would be a good get and probably what you are looking at along with Dunstan.

For the areas you most specifically identify Sheed is the pick of the bunch.

re Amato - I still cant understand how this lad didn't get a rookie listing.
He is a ball of muscle, wins his own ball and is handy around goals.

Thanks for your terrific work KM - always makes for good reading.

Just a quick question out of interest:

How do Patton and Boyd compare at the same age? And who, in your opinion, has the potential for a greater AFL career?

Cheers.

Brisbane don't haveSloane in their midfield to even remotely compare to Rory Sloane, he is head and shoulders above any young player you have in your midfield.
Now you got Black back, he is be your best midfielder by a country mile, even at his old age #gun

Seriously, way to make a pointless post. I was referring to the role sloane plays not comparing talent...all to discuss lions needs based on roles

re Amato - I still cant understand how this lad didn't get a rookie listing.
He is a ball of muscle, wins his own ball and is handy around goals.

He's a good one isn't he? Had a strong year last year and has continued his development this year playing some good footy again and doing it against men which is impressive.

Amato and the bulk of that group I mentioned in my previous post are all types who would be drafted any other year except last year with clubs going more conservative with less 18 year olds and instead looking at mature options and recycled talents with less list turnover all hurting these young ones. It's a direction other than recycled talent that I generally agree with but it just makes it that little bit harder for some of the young ones who would usually be considered late draft/rookie selections.

Thanks for your terrific work KM - always makes for good reading.

Just a quick question out of interest:

How do Patton and Boyd compare at the same age? And who, in your opinion, has the potential for a greater AFL career?

Cheers.

I like Patton's game a fraction more. I really enjoy his small steps for such a big man which make his movement really unique. But then otherwise they are exceptionally similar as those tall, strong bodied, monster contested marking forwards who both take it at that highest point.

In saying that I like Pattons game a fraction more my bet is Boyd has the better career. Patton has had his knee issues when he was drafted and has since done an ACL. Boyd is the more healthy so for that reason alone with their talents comparable would be my choice.

You'd love to have either though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back