Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the first instance of Richmond being linked with Brandon Ellis in 2011?
It was a few weeks out if i remember correctly, people were split on it actually although we are all certainly happy now. Definitely Dusty, Conca and Vlastuin had strong rumours going around we would pick them and last year people were pretty certain we would pick Lennon if he was still on the table. Plenty of time for all that to come out this year though.

Question for you KM, with Richmond looking for speed and blokes like Cockatoo and Garlett likely gone by our second round pick, who would you be looking at in that 30+ range to add a bit of speed to the wings and flanks?

Stretch is worth that second round pick so sleep easy if you get him there. Exceptionally well performed through the U18 champs and SANFL at League level. He gives Melbourne what is needed with his pace and footskills on the outside. But you never say never until you know the outcome, it is entirely possible the other clubs late first round like others more.

Pretty happy bunch of Demons getting Stretch at 39 after a good deal for Viney as well.

Hey KM, I've been reading and watching some of Dean Gore.

I think he would be a good pick up for us in the 2nd round if still available. He appears to have everything that Roos would like in a footballer with great contested ball winning ability, above avg disposal efficiency and a fierce tackler. He also seems to have an initial burst of speed. I think he could play from R1 next year as either a hbf or high hf with turns through the midfield.

What is his endurance like & why is he rated as low as he is?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, I'm also interested in Gore, who looks like someone who ought to be getting more attention with is ball winning and power/speed and skills combo.

As for his endurance, he tested in the bottom half for the beep test and just above average in the 3km. Tested absolutely elite in the kicking tests though, did really well in the speed and jumping tests and was pretty comfortably above average for the agility and repeat sprints.

Yeah, I'm also interested in Gore, who looks like someone who ought to be getting more attention with is ball winning and power/speed and skills combo.

As for his endurance, he tested in the bottom half for the beep test and just above average in the 3km. Tested absolutely elite in the kicking tests though, did really well in the speed and jumping tests and was pretty comfortably above average for the agility and repeat sprints.

Does he remind anyone else of a taller/bigger Zorko? or is that just me?

Melbourne gets #3 (pfft) and we edge towards our final draft order. Also today, Cal Twomey said that he can't really see St Kilda trading out that #1 pick, even with GWS.

So... looking at the first ten, and the various phantom orders, I reckon only one thing is almost certain - Melbourne will draft Angus Brayshaw. How the chips fall either side of the Dees selections at #2 and #3 are still anyone's guess, but with two opportunities, and having already shown us today that they are prioritising mids (by nominating Heeney), Angus might as well move in.

KM, Can I ask, when was your phantom draft updated? The post reads as being from April, but this obviously isn't the case, namely because the order suggests very contemporary priorities e.g. Weller so high. Thanks.

Also, can you honestly say Lever could go as high as #3 (or even #4 with Melb now claiming #3 pick)? I don't doubt that he's a beauty, and probably odds on to one day captain a side, but key defenders practically never crack the top five (around #10 is typically the earliest). I agree that his injury now practically counts for naught, but regardless, #5 is surely the absolutely earliest he could be selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much? You'd have to think Durdin still goes to the Dogs or Blues at #6/#7, with it likely to be a toss-up between he and Lever for these guernseys.

I agree he or Leaver is a Dog but the Blues said they want a Mid:eek:

Knightmare, do you think tall SA Forward/Ruckman Tom Read could be a late order pick or rookie chance for the Crows??

Brenton Phillips has very good wraps on him as a development type going forward, apparently he is just coming out the other end of "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" which has severely restricted his development for a couple of years??

I agree he or Leaver is a Dog but the Blues said they want a Mid:eek:

Geez, yeah good point. You'd think the Blues would've learnt their lesson, and not wait to leave the talls until late in the draft.

I've had Gold Coast and Adelaide as both going for mids as well, but Durdin (or Lever) would be hard to pass up, and it's not like they couldn't both do with another classy tall.

The one thing I know for sure is in the unlikelihood that he get's to #11, he'll also get to #12, because the Eagles have no interest in key position players. We're stocked.

KM, I posted a question re Ed Morris on another thread then saw you had mentioned him a while back. Wondered if you thought his prospects may have improved since then ?

Took out the B&F last year for Gippsland Power playing with two other 2014 prospects, Cunico and Webb. Finished 5th for Casey in their B&F and looks to be maturing pretty fast. From what I have seen he's a tough, smart midfielder and a tackling machine. Would have thought he'd be in the mix.

knightmare

I asked this question a while back but it got buried somewhere in the thread...wouldn't mind an update anway. Which players should I be keeping and eye out for a Ultimate team Draft Keepers league? Im interested in players who can make an impact in the 1st 1-2 seasons (preferably first), so obviously looking at Mids, HF's, and HB's. Brayshaw, Petracca, and heeney are obvious choices...but who outside of those? And especially possible late bargains

cheers

Petracca, Brayshaw, Heeney, Neal-Bullen, Bampton, Blakely, Gore, (if disposal efficiency is relevant Caleb Daniel is a must get), Weller, Steele, Dawson, Stretch, C.Smith, Waterman if he can get games and T.McLean are your fantasy types in this draft.
Langford, Lamb, Vickers-Willis, Laverde, De Goey, Pickett, Garlett and Menadue are guys more to look out for later on if they get games but likely from the start won't be in the category with the others from a production standpoint.

At
why don't you start 'Knightmare's Phantom draft player profiles', as a subsidiary to this thread?

It's a possibility.

In saying that the phantom draft itself and the listing of my power rankings only take up one post so it's not going to take up much space on a new thread.

I seem to stand corrected. Mystifying decision

Clubs are drawn to endurance superiority.

I'm a little surprised given that endurance superiority Liam Griffiths hasn't been spoken about more as a draft prospect but I'm not so shocked.

For the last 4 years we have been heavily linked to the player we take with our first pick.
This year i havent heard anything?
Any reason?

Less Richmond talent scouts on bigfooty it seems. That or no one is telling me anything this year.

More probably though is Richmond will just as most other clubs do take the highest rated talent on their draft board. Rumours of clubs being into guys, particularly when it's not a bottom few pick lowers the relevance of clubs having interest in a particular guy because there is less certainty that they will be available.

It was a few weeks out if i remember correctly, people were split on it actually although we are all certainly happy now. Definitely Dusty, Conca and Vlastuin had strong rumours going around we would pick them and last year people were pretty certain we would pick Lennon if he was still on the table. Plenty of time for all that to come out this year though.

Question for you KM, with Richmond looking for speed and blokes like Cockatoo and Garlett likely gone by our second round pick, who would you be looking at in that 30+ range to add a bit of speed to the wings and flanks?

Daniel McKenzie would be a strong get if looking for a back flanker in the second round.

Clem Smith may be available though I tend to like him more as a small forward.

Rookie draft a Daniel Butler or Jason Castagna are two examples of guys with top, top end acceleration and ability to break the lines and take on the game. Either could be good gets if they can fix up their footskills and decision making.

Hey KM, I've been reading and watching some of Dean Gore.

I think he would be a good pick up for us in the 2nd round if still available. He appears to have everything that Roos would like in a footballer with great contested ball winning ability, above avg disposal efficiency and a fierce tackler. He also seems to have an initial burst of speed. I think he could play from R1 next year as either a hbf or high hf with turns through the midfield.

What is his endurance like & why is he rated as low as he is?

Thanks in advance

I agree with you on Gore. I really like his game. Big, strong body but explosive and can kick. Wins the contested ball. Has performed and performed well against older bodies at SANFL League level. Can play on a flank as required. He is in my mind a clear top 30 quality prospect and have mostly only been cautious about my draft position with him due to the media suggesting consistently that he will be a 3rd round onward type. Perhaps not playing round one, he is not that dominant but season one, no question.

I'd be prepared to pay a second round selection on him. I'd say good pick Melbourne if that was the outcome.

Better again though with that second round pick, if available and I think he will also be at that point is Bampton who is better again. Perhaps not as many strings to his bow but his inside game and attack on the ball is just terrific

Does he remind anyone else of a taller/bigger Zorko? or is that just me?

Some similarities but Gore isn't as classy or damaging with Zorko still a few notches above Gore until he isn't.

With Melbourne receiving a compo pick (No. 3) as a result of James Frawley going to Hawthorn, what does this do to your phantom draft Knightmare?

Any sort of shuffling to go on?

I wouldn't be surprised to see that pick traded for a player. McCartin is the obvious pick if the club see a further key forward as a need. Wright could be a consideration if the club like his upside and want a key forward who can go into the ruck. In mentioning those two names I could see Melbourne doing the surprising and taking Lever who I see as a good fit - firstly with Frawley going a key defender is needed but second I also feel he will have impressed in interview and with his leadership credentials captaining Vic Metro as an underager I like him from a leadership perspective with Melbourne as a young team needing more of it.

KM, Can I ask, when was your phantom draft updated? The post reads as being from April, but this obviously isn't the case, namely because the order suggests very contemporary priorities e.g. Weller so high. Thanks.

Also, can you honestly say Lever could go as high as #3 (or even #4 with Melb now claiming #3 pick)? I don't doubt that he's a beauty, and probably odds on to one day captain a side, but key defenders practically never crack the top five (around #10 is typically the earliest). I agree that his injury now practically counts for naught, but regardless, #5 is surely the absolutely earliest he could be selected.

Updated last night.

Lever makes sense for both Melbourne and GWS early. It's me making a hero prediction but until there are strong rumours as to who exactly each club will take, which we usually hear those few days before the draft I'm inclined to keep it much as it is.

GWS a couple of years back took Plowman early draft and Lever looks better than Plowman so I'm not dismissing the chance with GWS particularly taking some less than consensus guys early.

With Moore locked to Pies at Pick 9.

What that does for Sam Durdin in this draft?

Moore going to the Pies in the first round is the outcome anticipated.

Just means Durdin still likely as expected goes top 10. Nothing surprising has happened today other than perhaps no one bidding on Finlayson to make GWS pay more to get him.

Knightmare, do you think tall SA Forward/Ruckman Tom Read could be a late order pick or rookie chance for the Crows??

Brenton Phillips has very good wraps on him as a development type going forward, apparently he is just coming out the other end of "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" which has severely restricted his development for a couple of years??

It's possible with Read that he goes late/rookie. Of those invited to the national combine he is in my mind the better of the ruckmen given his forward capabilities (outside of Wright obviously).

He has the scope if things work out to be something like a Sam Grimley which would be a good outcome.

KM, I posted a question re Ed Morris on another thread then saw you had mentioned him a while back. Wondered if you thought his prospects may have improved since then ?

Took out the B&F last year for Gippsland Power playing with two other 2014 prospects, Cunico and Webb. Finished 5th for Casey in their B&F and looks to be maturing pretty fast. From what I have seen he's a tough, smart midfielder and a tackling machine. Would have thought he'd be in the mix.

Morris was not invited to the state or national combine so I imagine he will be overlooked.

His tackling at VFL level has been very good but his performances have been a mixed bag as happens with most young players. At this stage Morris looks like he has the ability to be a very good VFL player but as a sub 180cm player he is just lacking that point of difference that separates him from the other draft prospects to ensure he finds his way onto an AFL list.

KM, d'you think the Dogs are any chance at all to end up with Peter Wright and Reece McKenzie or would we need to do some trading to get the required picks?

Both could be possibilities in the first and second round respectively without there being any certainty either will be there at those picks. Up in the air at this stage.

To guess at this point Wright is most likely gone by that first round selection and McKenzie 50/50 chance to be available in the second round so the Dogs may need to explore some additional ideas to fill the key forward need.

Langford's combine the reason he has shot up both your draft order and power rankings? Had a bit to do with him was hoping he'd last till Richmond's second.

It's more just re-assessing his game and recognising that I had underrated him.

I expect he goes first round and somewhere around Richmond's first round selection.

Knightme we now have picks 6,26,27,32,42 and really Cordy in the first 50 we could shorly set our selves up for years here as thid draft looks strong to 45

Lever,Menadue,McKenzie,Gore,Lonie would be a massive coup for the Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back