Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM
What can you tell me about Blaine Boekhorst? His highlights package looks like the player everyone thinks Cockatoo should be.
Also Garrett Mcdonagh intrigues me. Elite left foot, composure and leadership are his supposed strengths. Why is he not being talked about? Or are his strengths being over rated?

KM
What can you tell me about Blaine Boekhorst? His highlights package looks like the player everyone thinks Cockatoo should be.
Also Garrett Mcdonagh intrigues me. Elite left foot, composure and leadership are his supposed strengths. Why is he not being talked about? Or are his strengths being over rated?

Boekhorst is very light bodied but can take on the game and can break the lines. Skillset not damaging but reliable. Cockatoo is taller and has more of a power with Boekhorst much more outside although to his credit he did this year play more inside and start to win more of his own ball. Boekhorst is something like a poor man's Aaron Hall in the sense that his speed isn't on the same extreme and won't provide as much scoreboard impact.

McDonagh for me is someone who just doesn't get the respect he deserves and looking at sportingpulse stats I don't know who judged his games not to include him in the bests in any games but they were clearly watching a different games to what I have been watching. His strength is really his long kick first but he does have the composure to go with it and the efficiency that few penetrating kicks share. When you're top 5 in both long kicks and kicking efficiency in the TAC Cup I recall reading somewhere and can penetrate like McDonagh does I have him in the underrated category if anything as almost the Josh Toy equivalent in this draft such is the quality of his kicking or Nathan Buckley if only looking at kicking as that consistently efficient but long kick.
Why McDonagh isn't spoken about much, I do not know. He was only invited to the state combine so if picked he likely is only a rookie, and a rookie consideration but for me when you can do that type of damage, I want them on my team.
He could add a few more tricks, perhaps work further on his running and become a more explosive running to make that transition more into a Shannon Hurn equivalent and just add to that weaponry to become overall more appealing but in my eyes he looks like a potentially really good piece with his one trick a trick every team could use and as a rookie I'd have him high on my consider list.

Billy Gowers to be the surprise packet late in the draft. Has all the right attributes to be a star. Can't wait to see where he goes.

I've enjoyed some of the bits and pieces I've seen from Gowers this year and I was particularly impressed by some of his finals.

I've put him in my phantom draft for a reason, he hasn't been spoken about by the media anyway but late/rookie draft I like what he offers.

I really doubt Port Adelaide will be looking for more mid sized defenders/midfield types or for that matter small forwards.
Ben Newton was not prevented from going to Melbourne simply because Port have a deep midfield and a number of mid sized options forward and back playing in their seconds.
Their list is lacking Key Defender Types and a Project Ruckman.
This season with injuries to Jackson Trengove and Bobby Carlile , Port had very few options. Tom Clurey is a 20 year old Key Defender who is developing nicely but after that there is nothing.
As far as Ruckmen go , in 2014 , Matt Lobbe was it.
Now we know Paddy Ryder has come to The Power to support Lobbe, but their only backup is Jarred Redden who has only played a handful of games since 2012.

I really doubt Port Adelaide will be looking for more mid sized defenders/midfield types or for that matter small forwards.
Ben Newton was not prevented from going to Melbourne simply because Port have a deep midfield and a number of mid sized options forward and back playing in their seconds.
Their list is lacking Key Defender Types and a Project Ruckman.
This season with injuries to Jackson Trengove and Bobby Carlile , Port had very few options. Tom Clurey is a 20 year old Key Defender who is developing nicely but after that there is nothing.
As far as Ruckmen go , in 2014 , Matt Lobbe was it.
Now we know Paddy Ryder has come to The Power to support Lobbe, but their only backup is Jarred Redden who has only played a handful of games since 2012.

Not a great year to want a ruckman. If one is taken the rookie draft is more where you look.

With key defenders there will still be some available later but generally clubs look earlier so it depends on whether or not Port like the value of those options late draft.

Lots of question marks anyway and it will depend on who is there, but for me I'd be looking for Port Adelaide to get a boost on the ball. If a Bampton slides through to Port's first pick as an example that would be a great outcome.

Firstly I'd like to say great work Knightmare. Every year I enjoy reading your work.

As a avid West Coast fan I'd like to go with Cockatoo at pick 11. IF and that's a big IF Pickett and Coackatoo were both available at pick 11 i'd go Cockatoo. Might be a gamble as we have seen less of him but i'm also as a South Freo fan and i've seen Pickett regularly and I think the bigger body of Cockatoo would suit us a bit more. We need both dont get me wrong but I think Cockatoo type is harder to come by than Pickett. I always say to friends the Eagles need that Burgoyne type in the guts. Everyone says we need size and pace in there and I think Cockatoo oozes both and he is that Burgoyne type we need. Hopefully Murray Newman can improve and be the Picketr type and we have both :)
Will WCE chance drafting Cockatoo with his desire to play at Port Adelaide and his family ties there.
It could be another Brad Ebert episode ??

Do you think De Goey is going to land at 5?

I took him at 8 for Gold Coast in the Collingwood Mock Draft as a list fit type as he is the type I think they need more of.

It was probably thought to be a stretch though at 8 with only Chris25 having him so high up on his board, i think at 6.

What has been the change or is it the case that you rate him lower but Collingwood are keen on him and you think that they will take him there?

I have heard along the grapevine that hawks have shown serious interest in Aidan Anderson..... Have you seen much of him? His highlights package looks pretty good!
Does anyone know what his 3km time was at combine? Word on the street is that allegedly he thought that he wasnt doing it so he got on the grog Thursday night!

Do you think De Goey is going to land at 5?

I took him at 8 for Gold Coast in the Collingwood Mock Draft as a list fit type as he is the type I think they need more of.

It was probably thought to be a stretch though at 8 with only Chris25 having him so high up on his board, i think at 6.

What has been the change or is it the case that you rate him lower but Collingwood are keen on him and you think that they will take him there?

It's unclear who Collingwood select but De Goey seems the most likely at this stage based on recent media rumours.

Just following media rumours with my phantom draft and leaving my personal views out of it as much as possible to make it representative of what clubs will do, particularly in the first two rounds.

KM any thoughts on who we might take at 67? Our recruiters love 'running height' and very often draft players who have had major injury interruptions in their draft year. A small lockdown defender is something we definitely need.

Also just on GWS' picks, I think Laverde, Duggan and Goddard are three that all fit the bill, as Victorians with good character who are player types that imo GWS would like more of. A genuine KPD, a back line distributer and a player with hurt factor outside the contest to compliment their excellent inside players- they just fit. Do you see anyone who would be better picks for them than these three?

Billy Gowers to be the surprise packet late in the draft. Has all the right attributes to be a star. Can't wait to see where he goes.
Same. I really like Gowers. Don't know where he will go but his non mention makes me think he's undervalued.

Good on both feet. Reads the play well, marks and is versatile. I kind of think 4th round.

I heard Toohmey on afl tonight saying Laverde has even cooled. DeGoey now coming into calculation for the Pies. This year is more like musical chairs , shuffles so often that the ones who get picked earlier than others could just be the on in favor at that point in time.
He even said the Saints still not sure who they pick. If they do go McCartin , Melb will fall over themselves calling Brayshaw and Pettracca.

If anyone cal get the top 20 right this year they will be as much knowledgeable as lucky.

Can someone explain why Clubs would supposedly constantly change their opinions after all the games are finished, and getting no new information?

These recruiters have been watching the top kids for up to 4 years by now. I think clubs changing their draft preferences at the last minute is just media BS and nearly every club would have at least their early preferences set in stone for months by now.

Of course saying "Club X's preferences haven't changed" doesn't sell stories, which is why we always hear about sudden drastic re-evaluation of players despite the season ending and interviews finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain why Clubs would supposedly constantly change their opinions after all the games are finished, and getting no new information?

These recruiters have been watching the top kids for up to 4 years by now. I think clubs changing their draft preferences at the last minute is just media BS and nearly every club would have at least their early preferences set in stone for months by now.

Of course saying "Club X's preferences haven't changed" doesn't sell stories, which is why we always hear about sudden drastic re-evaluation of players despite the season ending and interviews finished.
LOL. It's the media and phantom drafts. Guess work for the most part. Ducks and Drakes by the clubs. You don't think anyone is going to telegraph picks unless it's to head off the opposition. Seriously. Drastic ebbs and flows are down to gossip. I agree that club's will have sorted to an extent by now. Final confab going into the draft and that's it. These weeks are all about drama and what we don't know. It's fun and exciting this year.

Multiple recruiters and most media info comes from players and managers rather than the club.

KM any thoughts on who we might take at 67? Our recruiters love 'running height' and very often draft players who have had major injury interruptions in their draft year. A small lockdown defender is something we definitely need.

Also just on GWS' picks, I think Laverde, Duggan and Goddard are three that all fit the bill, as Victorians with good character who are player types that imo GWS would like more of. A genuine KPD, a back line distributer and a player with hurt factor outside the contest to compliment their excellent inside players- they just fit. Do you see anyone who would be better picks for them than these three?

For Brisbane maybe a Jermaine Miller-Lewis as a smokie who hasn't played this year could as a rookie be an example of someone as a rookie Brisbane could look at if looking for a tallish runner. The better taller runners are likely to go early draft otherwise.

As a lockdown guy a David Mirra could be an example of someone who can play immediately and sufficiently fill a need if looking for a role player/need filler down back. No obvious guys in the u18s, but there are always an abundance of state leaguers who can play a lockdown roles in the back half.

On GWS I can't see them taking Duggan - he has class but isn't super quick but I get the theory behind it going for high character guys. GWS probably take 3 of McCartin, Lever, Goddard, Pickett and Laverde with the focus more on list fits/best talents.
If GWS went pure best character Lever, Duggan and Goddard would probably be the three as three of the more noted leaders/high character guys in this draft.

Clubs still making a final decision and the media slowly accumulating information. A bit of both I imagine.

Just wondering what you thought of Sam Bevan? Can you see him go In the draft? Worst case he would be a rookie pick wouldn't he?
Cheers

Bevan is one who was considered a possible pick earlier this season but hasn't come on as strongly as many expected. If selected now he would most likely go as a rookie key forward/key defender.

Are Collingwood upgrading Frost or using pick 87 if they like one late and pass if they don't ... Marsh like, other phantoms have us upgrading Frost but I thought we weren't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back