Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wou
Bevan is one who was considered a possible pick earlier this season but hasn't come on as strongly as many expected. If selected now he would most likely go as a rookie key forward/key defender.
would be a good get as a rookie?
Stats show he can really take hold of a game as a kpf... Had a couple of 6 goal hauls this year and looks like a good contested mark. Didn't realise he plays back too.... May be a good gamble

Are Collingwood upgrading Frost or using pick 87 if they like one late and pass if they don't ... Marsh like, other phantoms have us upgrading Frost but I thought we weren't

I don't believe Frost is being upgraded. I expect it probably relates more so to that Brisbane trade taking back so many small assets. I expect that also is why Armstrong got delisted with the intent to rookie.

Wou
would be a good get as a rookie?
Stats show he can really take hold of a game as a kpf... Had a couple of 6 goal hauls this year and looks like a good contested mark. Didn't realise he plays back too.... May be a good gamble

With key forwards I follow the system of unless you're elite you are not worth having (outside the first two rounds it's rare there are any worthwhile key forwards) and I don't see Bevan having that elite ability. Good athlete and was being compared to Sam Reid (Sydney) early season but I felt that was probably a stretch.

Bevan has mostly played forward but has played a small number of games back, which is pretty common if you're not a star forward. I'd probably look at him as a key defender if anything mostly because as a key forward I'm not convinced he is AFL quality. But whether he can develop into an AFL quality key defender is highly questionable also.

Rumours keep persisting about Weller and Mckenzie for our first 2 picks I hope they are right because I can't see us passing on them if they are available.
Have you heard North want Lonie at 36? Who else would be consider at that pick if we draft Weller and Mckenzie with our first 2?

Rumours keep persisting about Weller and Mckenzie for our first 2 picks I hope they are right because I can't see us passing on them if they are available.
Have you heard North want Lonie at 36? Who else would be consider at that pick if we draft Weller and Mckenzie with our first 2?

I have not heard anything about North Melbourne liking Lonie. Just a logical selection with North Melbourne needing another small forward.

Hey Knightmare, I have three questions

What could Paul Ahern become if we (Adelaide) develop him?

Is Hugh Goddard still a good chance to be at our pick?

Is there a chance we could draft Tom Lamb and develop him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knightmare, I have three questions

What could Paul Ahern become if we (Adelaide) develop him?

Is Hugh Goddard still a good chance to be at our pick?

Is there a chance we could draft Tom Lamb and develop him?

I see Adelaide's relative developmental advantage being the development of talls. So if a Reece McKenzie was to be taken by Adelaide for example I feel he could really develop into a monster. Same could be said of a Wright/Goddard/Durdin.

A good team with a good development system should help Ahern and he is someone I could see really struggling on a team with a relatively weaker developmental system. I still see him as something like Shane Edwards but on a team who can really develop talent on a high level he could if things go right be better than that and become something closer to a poor man's Zaharakis.

The recent talk with Goddard is that he goes before Adelaide's first pick with Geelong a possible destination if there but GWS really firming as his likely eventual destination with their need for a good key defender.

Tom Lamb could be a possible selection for Adelaide but I'd imagine there would be a few others higher on the draft board unless Adelaide really fall in love with his height/endurance running combo.

Knightmare

Two questions

1.Would Adelaide be prepared to use there first rounder on cockatoo or menadue?
2. What is Adelaide's chances on getting Ramsay and Gore?

1. Possible but I imagine Adelaide would prefer to go tall. Cockatoo may not be there but Menadue should be. Just depends on Adelaide's evaluation.
2. Depends on if Adelaide like them. But both around the 2nd round mark should be available if Adelaide want one of them, the other could plausibly get through to that third selection.

Hey KM, have heard rumors of us getting a Reece McKenzie or Peter Wright?

Peter Wright if he falls through to Adelaide there has been some talk about.

Not R.McKenzie as far as I'm aware, or at least not at 14.

KM, is Durdin a good stopper?

I see he plays a bit like Carlisle, but can he develop into a no.1 defender and does he actually stop his direct opponent (the no.1 forward)?

With our defence, we will have Taylor for a another 4 or so years to play CHB and I rate Jake Kolo as a third tall to take over Rivers, but we will be needing someone to take the reigns from Lonergen shortly.

Assuming Goddard is taken by GWS, who do you rate as a better fit for Geelong's ageing defence, Lever or Durdin?

Emma Quayle did a terrific job some years back getting her first round extremely close to perfect, but I don't think anyone will get the top 20 100% correct.

With Collingwood you can never quite know what they'll do with that early pick. I certainly don't.

St Kilda have an interesting dilemma with Petracca v McCartin and they'll have an interesting draft.

McCartin for me is the most dominant guy in the TAC Cup but my condition to picking him would be height and health. If he passes the health checks and the medicos are certain his diabetes will not adversely affect him and if he is truely 194cm, or even 193cm. Tick those boxes and he would be top of my draft board, but in both categories I have my doubts so I'd be going the Petracca route.

St Kilda have a really good opportunity in this draft to build some foundation pieces to their puzzle.

If I was the Saints recruiter I'd be taking..
1. Christian Petracca
21. Reece McKenzie (should be available)
22. Connor Blakely (not certain to be there but I like his chances of getting through)
41. Dean Gore (again not certain to be available but if he is a terrific piece to build with)
--
Rookie draft if the Saints want pace or a small forward there is always someone available. Maybe Toby McLean falls through as a small forward as my personal favourite, otherwise an Ed Langdon may fall through, Jayden Short should be there and be used either on a wing or up forward, Caleb Daniel would be terrific and I'd take him early rookie draft.

I have a mate who I've been to a couple of games with who loves Sean McLaren. I'm less certain. The issue with McLaren is he is still more a ruckman. He's well built, moves well for a big and can take a grab, and at 197cm he isn't playing through the ruck at AFL level so key defence if he is to find a position will need to be his niche. I just haven't seen him exposed enough to the position but with other key defenders who are proven performers I'd lean towards taking them first.

As a rookie pick McLaren would be a good option to consider but other than a brief glimpse earlier in the year and from memory with AIS he hasn't had much of a chance to learn the position.
Emma Quayle did a terrific job some years back getting her first round extremely close to perfect, but I don't think anyone will get the top 20 100% correct.

With Collingwood you can never quite know what they'll do with that early pick. I certainly don't.

St Kilda have an interesting dilemma with Petracca v McCartin and they'll have an interesting draft.

McCartin for me is the most dominant guy in the TAC Cup but my condition to picking him would be height and health. If he passes the health checks and the medicos are certain his diabetes will not adversely affect him and if he is truely 194cm, or even 193cm. Tick those boxes and he would be top of my draft board, but in both categories I have my doubts so I'd be going the Petracca route.

St Kilda have a really good opportunity in this draft to build some foundation pieces to their puzzle.

If I was the Saints recruiter I'd be taking..
1. Christian Petracca
21. Reece McKenzie (should be available)
22. Connor Blakely (not certain to be there but I like his chances of getting through)
41. Dean Gore (again not certain to be available but if he is a terrific piece to build with)
--
Rookie draft if the Saints want pace or a small forward there is always someone available. Maybe Toby McLean falls through as a small forward as my personal favourite, otherwise an Ed Langdon may fall through, Jayden Short should be there and be used either on a wing or up forward, Caleb Daniel would be terrific and I'd take him early rookie draft.

I have a mate who I've been to a couple of games with who loves Sean McLaren. I'm less certain. The issue with McLaren is he is still more a ruckman. He's well built, moves well for a big and can take a grab, and at 197cm he isn't playing through the ruck at AFL level so key defence if he is to find a position will need to be his niche. I just haven't seen him exposed enough to the position but with other key defenders who are proven performers I'd lean towards taking them first.

As a rookie pick McLaren would be a good option to consider but other than a brief glimpse earlier in the year and from memory with AIS he hasn't had much of a chance to learn the position.

Check out stats on Sean McLaren against Wright in the last Sandy/Calder game out of interest. Best on ground. Impressive at 198cm against Wright. Shhh, don't tell anybody! Footage on McLaren on AFL Eyecatchers Round 1 and AFL compilation. http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-28/eyecatchers-round-one
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/draft-prospect-sean-mclaren

Last edited:
Boekhorst is very light bodied but can take on the game and can break the lines. Skillset not damaging but reliable. Cockatoo is taller and has more of a power with Boekhorst much more outside although to his credit he did this year play more inside and start to win more of his own ball. Boekhorst is something like a poor man's Aaron Hall in the sense that his speed isn't on the same extreme and won't provide as much scoreboard impact.

McDonagh for me is someone who just doesn't get the respect he deserves and looking at sportingpulse stats I don't know who judged his games not to include him in the bests in any games but they were clearly watching a different games to what I have been watching. His strength is really his long kick first but he does have the composure to go with it and the efficiency that few penetrating kicks share. When you're top 5 in both long kicks and kicking efficiency in the TAC Cup I recall reading somewhere and can penetrate like McDonagh does I have him in the underrated category if anything as almost the Josh Toy equivalent in this draft such is the quality of his kicking or Nathan Buckley if only looking at kicking as that consistently efficient but long kick.
Why McDonagh isn't spoken about much, I do not know. He was only invited to the state combine so if picked he likely is only a rookie, and a rookie consideration but for me when you can do that type of damage, I want them on my team.
He could add a few more tricks, perhaps work further on his running and become a more explosive running to make that transition more into a Shannon Hurn equivalent and just add to that weaponry to become overall more appealing but in my eyes he looks like a potentially really good piece with his one trick a trick every team could use and as a rookie I'd have him high on my consider list.
You give some good feedback. Might not always agree, but I like the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back