Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey KM, Who do you see the crows taking at this point in time with ALL our picks? And have you heard rumors that we like Dan Howe at pick 35/43?

Any chance Cockatoo will be there at 33? Guy is a freak and considering how long he was out of footy and to dominate like he did in his last tac match, he's way underrated. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we took him at 12 tbh.

Any chance Cockatoo will be there at 33? Guy is a freak and considering how long he was out of footy and to dominate like he did in his last tac match, he's way underrated. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we took him at 12 tbh.
He's not getting to 33 and he played the grand final curtain raiser game not TAC cup

When you see actual AFL players who can hit a hot spot for a few games, or other good players who can have a flat season before they come good, I feel that its amazing how few games some of these guys have to decide their fate in the draft.
Surely a player like Cockatoo carries a massive risk factor.

Knight also any chance andreas Roth gets a rookie? Overlooked last year but is quite good. Also Hannon I think deserved at least a rookie spot.

Knight also any chance andreas Roth gets a rookie? Overlooked last year but is quite good. Also Hannon I think deserved at least a rookie spot.

Hey, Knightmare, what are your thoughts on the chances of the Tigers landing:

12: Weller
33: Neal-Bullen
52: Glenn
70: Kovacevic

And if it happens, what are your thoughts on that draft haul?

Thanks for all the great work Knight! Really appreciate all the work you've done. Just curious of who you think West Coast are most likely to take with 11 now that they've said they'll be taking the best available?

Hey KM, Who do you see the crows taking at this point in time with ALL our picks? And have you heard rumors that we like Dan Howe at pick 35/43?

A key defender makes most sense first up but Maynard has been linked to Adelaide. Howe also has been linked to Adelaide of late so he may be in the mix with one of those mid draft selections.

Won't be available that late, no.

Wouldn't expect either get a shot.

I sense going by the names you're bringing up that you've got a connection with the Eastern u18 side?

That team is mostly outside of Petracca is mostly interesting for their underage talent this year. With Nielson the other chance this year as a key defender.

Hey, Knightmare, what are your thoughts on the chances of the Tigers landing:

12: Weller
33: Neal-Bullen
52: Glenn
70: Kovacevic

And if it happens, what are your thoughts on that draft haul?

Neal-Bullen may not be there with St Kilda from reports looking at him with one of their second round picks. Glenn may/may not be there. Same story with Weller who may/may not be there.

Kovacevic should be.

Ok haul if that happens for Richmond with all solid selections in those ranges.

Thanks for all the great work Knight! Really appreciate all the work you've done. Just curious of who you think West Coast are most likely to take with 11 now that they've said they'll be taking the best available?

Perhaps Duggan or Weller if there. Maybe Laverde or De Goey if one slides. Pickett probably isn't there. Cockatoo unless there is some notable slider is another who sounds like he may be in the mix.

I imagine West Coast want pace, but if there is someone who offers clearly superior value and offers something else they would like then I can't see West Coast saying no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey knightmare what talls do you think could slide to pick 16 and would we pass? Chances of Wright and lever in particular?
IMO Petrie, Waite, Tarrant, daw, Currie and grima won't be on our list in a couple of years for various reasons.
Brown could still be hit or miss, black isn't big enough and Curran is gone.
Apart from speedy outsiders it's an area that needs addressing.
Also I'm not a huge fan of using later picks on keys forwards. In a nutshell all the best forwards are high picks.

Last edited:
Alright I'll respond then:

Maynard
Best case scenario: 10 times better than Gary Ablett Jr but with shoulders and hamstrings more durable than Iron Man.
Worst case scenario: career ended in January 2015 after a bizarre gardening accident.

Howe
Best case scenario: The next Stephen Silvagni - will captain the Crows to 17 premierships in a row.
Worst case scenario: Accidentally spells his name wrong on the national draft application papers and is given a life ban from AFL as a result.

Does that answer your question?

Alright I'll respond then:

Maynard
Best case scenario: 10 times better than Gary Ablett Jr but with shoulders and hamstrings more durable than Iron Man.
Worst case scenario: career ended in January 2015 after a bizarre gardening accident.

Howe
Best case scenario: The next Stephen Silvagni - will captain the Crows to 17 premierships in a row.
Worst case scenario: Accidentally spells his name wrong on the national draft application papers and is given a life ban from AFL as a result.

Does that answer your question?
Can I ask a genuine question without this idiot yapping

Can I ask a genuine question without this idiot yapping
Sick of seeing stupid questions. How the hell does KM know the best and worst case scenarios regarding a player? He knows a little about their performances over the last two years, and a rough idea of what order they'll go in the draft. Everything else is crystal ball stuff and you're better off not wasting your time, and KM's for that matter. Most of your inane questions could easily be answered by lifting a finger and reading the first page of this thread.

I just feel if the Tigers pass on Wright now, in 5 years we will really be regretting it.
If he is there at 12 do you think the tigers will take him?

I expect Wright to be firmly in the mix if there at 12. He'd be my pick if there. Some talk about Richmond wanting a mid instead but if there 50/50 Richmond take Wright because they've shown a consistent tendency to take those taller key position players when there early and he represents some value so he has a Richmond selection kind of feel, though I'd say the same of Durdin if there.

Hi Knightmare. Callum Twomey on the AFL site thinks Wright could develop as Ottens did. What do you think is stopping him from developing along those lines?

Ottens could be a possible vision for development. I'd prefer Wright to be more a forward but he could play that similar fwd/ruck split.

Ottens was the stronger contested mark so until Wright develops that he still has more work to do. But not out of the question Wright has a similarly strong career and great outcome if he becomes that level or performer.

Much of a chance that Collingwood will take Wright with pick 5?

Almost certainly Collingwood won't be picking Wright at 5. No rumours linking him to Collingwood. In saying that I'd love Collingwood to take him.

Hey KM, what is the best case scenario and worst case scenario for Brayden Maynard AND Daniel Howe

Maynard would probably like to become something like Luke Hodge as a guy who has that same strength and hardness, a damaging kick and the ability to play and impact games anywhere, that's an absolute best case scenario that won't happen, but he can model his game on Hodge. I see him more as something like Macaffer as more that level of versatile player. Worse case scenario is he doesn't develop his endurance and becomes a state leaguer.

Howe probably ends up as something like Jack Crisp. But a best case scenario, he'll aim to become something more like Brendon Goddard, or at least model his game on Goddard and see how close he comes. Worse case scenario is he doesn't make it.

With these guys 18/19 you can never know for certain exactly who guys become, but the player comparisons as listed in the profiles on page 1 is roughly a best guess. Otherwise we'll be calling everyone Pendlebury or Suckling or some other generic comparison along those lines.

Hey knightmare what talls do you think could slide to pick 16 and would we pass? Chances of Wright and lever in particular?
IMO Petrie, Waite, Tarrant, daw, Currie and grima won't be on our list in a couple of years for various reasons.
Brown could still be hit or miss, black isn't big enough and Curran is gone.
Apart from speedy outsiders it's an area that needs addressing.
Also I'm not a huge fan of using later picks on keys forwards. In a nutshell all the best forwards are high picks.

Highly unlikely Wright or Lever get through quite so late. Lever if there at 14 for Adelaide I imagine will be taken there if not taken earlier. Wright I struggle to see getting past Geelong at 10, or if not Geelong, Richmond at 12 make sense. Of the two Wright is the more plausible to slide through but it's against the odds.

I agree with the concept that the better key forwards are the top picks, with the others usually coming from father son selections. In saying that Reece McKenzie this year has the opportunity to be the exception to the rule and looks likely to be available in the 30s. He's a guy who could while unlikely, he has enough talent to be the best guy in the draft as extreme as my view on him is. It could go either way but at 36 if there for North Melbourne I know I'd be going for hims anyway as that rare time I'd break that early draft key forward rule.

KM do you have a profile for Tyler Roos?

His highlights on draft machine make him look a fairly solid prospect? Good pace, kick etc. Just interested as he obviously comes from good stock but haven't heard a thing about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back