Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other reason why Richmond should draft a midfielder is that Richmond's midfield depth is fairly poor. Looking beyond the best 22, Richmond's best midfielders are guys like Thomas, Grigg, Lennon, Arnot and Hunt. Thomas is slow and old, Grigg has been exposed for his lack of pace and kicking issues, Lennon is unproven and is still developing a tank, and Arnot is also very green. That leaves Hunt who has been delisted from his previous club, I'd prefer another 3-4 smalls, especially someone who can take over Newman's role. If Richmond wants to pick up a ruckman, use a later pick to pick up a project or a state leaguer.
Think your under selling Lennon a bit there, really impressed me as a player likely to have a long and successful AFL career.

The other reason why Richmond should draft a midfielder is that Richmond's midfield depth is fairly poor. Looking beyond the best 22, Richmond's best midfielders are guys like Thomas, Grigg, Lennon, Arnot and Hunt. Thomas is slow and old, Grigg has been exposed for his lack of pace and kicking issues, Lennon is unproven and is still developing a tank, and Arnot is also very green. That leaves Hunt who has been delisted from his previous club, I'd prefer another 3-4 smalls, especially someone who can take over Newman's role. If Richmond wants to pick up a ruckman, use a later pick to pick up a project or a state leaguer.

Need to give McDonough more time through there if he builds his tank.

In his defense a heap of dumb arse journos have been sprouting that shit all year even after being called out on it. Easy mistake to make when it's getting rammed down our throat all the time
Sorry but I only held umbrage with the poster's rising star comment etc. If that wasn't fishing I'm a land loving meat eater.

KM, if GWS take Pickett at 4 and Geelong opt for a tall, is De Goey reaching 12 a possibility? Seems to me he would be our ideal selection at 12. Any feel for what the RFC preference would be Weller\De Goey?

The lowest I see De Goey going is West Coast at 11 so I'm not seeing him being an option. In the very surprising scenario both are available we can only speculate but I'd assume De Goey would of the two be the pick.

Hey knightmare. All the talk is that Paul ahern is looming as a big slider. Any chance at all a player of his quality could be taken at the saints pick 21/22? If not which team is it he slips to furtherst??

Ahern isn't sliding that far. Worst case scenario is Ahern goes somewhere in the top 20 I'd imagine.

The lowest I see De Goey going is West Coast at 11 so I'm not seeing him being an option. In the very surprising scenario both are available we can only speculate but I'd assume De Goey would of the two be the pick.

Ahern isn't sliding that far. Worst case scenario is Ahern goes somewhere in the top 20 I'd imagine.
Thanks KM, I enjoy your thread. I concede it would be almost unfair for RFC to get De Goey at 12. (Almost)

WCE could be pricks and spoil the Freo party by taking Durdin at 11. I could imagine that being tempting for them.

Sorry but I only held umbrage with the poster's rising star comment etc. If that wasn't fishing I'm a land loving meat eater.
That's what I meant. Journos have been going on about how we gave up the Lewis Taylor pick. Scott Lucas especially and when told he was wrong just said "well my version is funnier"

Last edited:
Sorry to deflect from this year's draft KM but are there any father/son prospects in next year's draft that clubs may go for something different? Ie Ron McKeown's or Monkhursts sons? I know Dunkley is rated highly. I was thinking as a Pies supporter that if we had a f/s kpp next year, it would able us to go after a mid. Thoughts??

Thanks KM, I enjoy your thread. I concede it would be almost unfair for RFC to get De Goey at 12. (Almost)

WCE could be pricks and spoil the Freo party by taking Durdin at 11. I could imagine that being tempting for them.

WCE could always use further talls but they need help through the midfield and on the outside more. Laverde, De Goey or Pickett they'd love but otherwise a Weller or equivalent, perhaps a Cockatoo if they don't mind reaching slightly could be another. But that's more the thought process I see for WC going into this draft.

Sorry to deflect from this year's draft KM but are there any father/son prospects in next year's draft that clubs may go for something different? Ie Ron McKeown's or Monkhursts sons? I know Dunkley is rated highly. I was thinking as a Pies supporter that if we had a f/s kpp next year, it would able us to go after a mid. Thoughts??

Josh Dunkley is the notable and would otherwise be a top 10 selection as a strong bodied inside mid. Of relevance in Collingwood's situation I don't believe there are any new relevant father sons next year.

Ned McKeown is part of Collingwood's VFL Development side. Ryley Monkhorst plays VFL development league for Box Hill. Both were eligible last year but overlooked.

Sam Weideman is a Collingwood name and a key forward but not eligible as a father son with his father (Mark) not playing enough games. He's a genuine first round chance.

Hi km

Twomey has linked us with Lukas Webb at 26/27. Thoughts on him?

Too high and I wouldn't do it.

It would be taking a kicker because you need a kicker rather than taking the best player there. Similar, but to a more extreme extent given it is inside the top 30 than Matt Fuller last year.

Mid/late draft, sure look at Webb. The guy can kick and has some versatility. But like with Fuller he isn't outstanding and the second round is too high to take him, or for me it is anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello Mr Nightmare,
I am a 3.5 minute fan of Daniel Capiron, you have him around 48 in your phantom draft but not in your power rankings. His strengths look like intercept marking, contested footy and foot skills from the 3.5 minute package. Does he have speed, endurance and is he a good decision maker? Is a good height and build could he roll through the centre in time and what is your general feel/vibe on the kid, please.

Hello Mr Nightmare,
I am a 3.5 minute fan of Daniel Capiron, you have him around 48 in your phantom draft but not in your power rankings. His strengths look like intercept marking, contested footy and foot skills from the 3.5 minute package. Does he have speed, endurance and is he a good decision maker? Is a good height and build could he roll through the centre in time and what is your general feel/vibe on the kid, please.

Capiron has to an extent disappointed me this season. He shows glimpses in game but just hasn't found enough of it for someone who is more a damaging outside type. Good height, moves well on the outside, has the versatility to play on different types and he can at times do some damage by foot so he is draftable but production is mild for a wing/hbf roles that he can play. And I see some other better performed, more damaging guys overall.

Knightmare
I think Hawthorn will just be looking at the best available with our first pick at 31. Out of all the ones who we have been linked with in phantom drafts and what not, who would be the best player we could hope for?
Cheers

Knightmare - I really like the look of Daniel McKenzie and think he would suit the Blues needs - almost a Kade Simpson replacement in a couple of years time. Do you think Carlton would be keen to use their Pick 19 for him or would you view it as too early? Thanks mate.

Knightmare
I think Hawthorn will just be looking at the best available with our first pick at 31. Out of all the ones who we have been linked with in phantom drafts and what not, who would be the best player we could hope for?
Cheers

I'd call Reece McKenzie or Connor Blakely if available the best availables. If not perhaps Dean Gore.

Ed Vickers-Willis, Touk Miller, Daniel McKenzie, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, Daniel Howe, and Brayden Maynard are some names I've heard loosely connected to Hawthorn at 31. Of those Daniel McKenzie is probably the best available and with his athleticism and footskills I expect will intrigue Hawthorn if he gets past Collingwood at 30.

Knightmare - I really like the look of Daniel McKenzie and think he would suit the Blues needs - almost a Kade Simpson replacement in a couple of years time. Do you think Carlton would be keen to use their Pick 19 for him or would you view it as too early? Thanks mate.

Daniel McKenzie perhaps doesn't have the same midfield capabilities but in the back half he could play a similar role to Simpson these past couple of years when used back.

There is some talk about Connor Menadue at 19 who is an incredible talent. Super explosive with his run with ball in hand excellent, he is a an excellent kick and has a very explosive evasive sidestep to allow him to get around guys.
Tom Lamb and Jarrod Garlett are two others who have been linked to Carlton.
Daniel McKenzie could be somewhere on that shortlist either for pick 19 or 28 for Carlton depending on availability but at 19 I expect a few others given stronger rumours are favoured.

I'd call Reece McKenzie or Connor Blakely if available the best availables. If not perhaps Dean Gore.

Ed Vickers-Willis, Touk Miller, Daniel McKenzie, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, Daniel Howe, and Brayden Maynard are some names I've heard loosely connected to Hawthorn at 31. Of those Daniel McKenzie is probably the best available and with his athleticism and footskills I expect will intrigue Hawthorn if he gets past Collingwood at 30.

Daniel McKenzie perhaps doesn't have the same midfield capabilities but in the back half he could play a similar role to Simpson these past couple of years when used back.

There is some talk about Connor Menadue at 19 who is an incredible talent. Super explosive with his run with ball in hand excellent, he is a an excellent kick and has a very explosive evasive sidestep to allow him to get around guys.
Tom Lamb and Jarrod Garlett are two others who have been linked to Carlton.
Daniel McKenzie could be somewhere on that shortlist either for pick 19 or 28 for Carlton depending on availability but at 19 I expect a few others given stronger rumours are favoured.
Thanks KM

Hi Knightmare,

How do you see Jesse Watchman? Could you see the dogs taking him as a late pick. I highly rate him in this upcoming draft and believe he could be a real steal at a late 40's pick if the dogs don't get a Mckenzie. What do you think and what do you think of him. Cheers

Do you think St Kilda will take two talls (McKenzie, McDonald) with 21/22?

Hi Knightmare,

How do you see Jesse Watchman? Could you see the dogs taking him as a late pick. I highly rate him in this upcoming draft and believe he could be a real steal at a late 40's pick if the dogs don't get a Mckenzie. What do you think and what do you think of him. Cheers

Watchman is a non improver. Good last year, reasonable but not impressive this year. He is a late/rookie pick if taken. Watchman could be an option considered. Brett Eddy is another and would late draft in my view anyway for the Dogs be a better choice as a really well performed mature ager who can play right away and perhaps a compliment for Boyd at least medium term.

Do you think St Kilda will take two talls (McKenzie, McDonald) with 21/22?

The Saints need talls but at 21/22 it would require the Saints to really like the guys there.

I'm not anticipating the Saints take McKenzie or McDonald at 21/22. I like both there and would personally take R.McKenzie there but I'm not sure the Saints will agree with the value and probably prefer one of the sliders I imagine.
If either fall through to 41, big chance they get taken given list needs.

The Saints need talls but at 21/22 it would require the Saints to really like the guys there.

I'm not anticipating the Saints take McKenzie or McDonald at 21/22. I like both there and would personally take R.McKenzie there but I'm not sure the Saints will agree with the value and probably prefer one of the sliders I imagine.
If either fall through to 41, big chance they get taken given list needs.
Thanks mate. Love ya work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back