Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that I necessarily don't like him, I think everyone knows how much I like the NT boys. But you can't ignore history when it comes to these players either. Very few go inside the first two rounds. Yes, Cockatoo is part of the AIS squad but so was Wasley-Black. There is always one or two who make the squad, but it doesn't mean they are necessarily one of the best 20 kids in the country.

On potential and performance, I would compare him more to someone like Damian Williams rather than Jed Anderson. No denying his pure talent, but I don't think he holds the same sort of standing as say Cutler or Robertson - who were still drafted high despite injury. They both have elite AFL size, versatility and had performed strongly. I'd have the same range on both Nakia Cockatoo and Warrick Wilson.
When was the last NT kid to get drafted? Anderson and Neade were both traded for I believe and for absolute peanuts.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Wilson. With English not being his first language will he just be thrown in the too hard basket.

When was the last NT kid to get drafted? Anderson and Neade were both traded for I believe and for absolute peanuts.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Wilson. With English not being his first language will he just be thrown in the too hard basket.

I believe it was Zeph Skinner in 2010, I agree fwiw, Jurrah/Tippa/Manson types will never be more than forum favourites in the eyes of recruiters

Now, don't go painting everyone with the same brush. Cockatoo is a much different proposition than those three. And in all fairness, both Anderson and Neade would have been drafted. It just so happens that they were snapped up before hand.

Wasley Black is the only comparable one for me.

To be fair we've had seven enter the league since then - those two, Barry (also a trade), Hampton and Edwards (GWS zone selections), May and Patrick (GC zone selections). That's not too bad, historically. The NT has been zoned every year until last year.

Knight, I understand the top pick there aint any real standout yet, but at this stage who are the players contending for that spot? Im assuming it would be a tall considering the Saints, Blues and lions all surely likely to pick a tall forward?

Knight, I understand the top pick there aint any real standout yet, but at this stage who are the players contending for that spot? Im assuming it would be a tall considering the Saints, Blues and lions all surely likely to pick a tall forward?

Wright is the no.1 guy at this stage but still lots of football to be played.

Durdin, Wright and Goddard are in the mix.

With the quality of talls even if the team with the no.1 overall selection needs a mid the talls this year are just a class above and too attractive to pass up at this point anyway.

Hey KM,

noticed that young Willie Rioli Jnr is kicking plenty of goals in the NEAFL. Your thoughts on him for the upcoming draft?

Hey KM,

noticed that young Willie Rioli Jnr is kicking plenty of goals in the NEAFL. Your thoughts on him for the upcoming draft?

Overlooked last year. Has incredible talent around goal and is one of the most damaging forwards you'll see with ball in hand with his footskills. Just needs to get his fitness up and improve his pressure game before he comes into draft calculations.

Overlooked last year. Has incredible talent around goal and is one of the most damaging forwards you'll see with ball in hand with his footskills. Just needs to get his fitness up and improve his pressure game before he comes into draft calculations.

He had relatively good tackle numbers (which I know don't always translate to total pressure efforts) in the WAFL Colts and Reserves for the last 11 games of 2013 (to go with very high goal per game ratings for a small forward). Do you think that is a sign of improvement or in your opinion is he always destined to be a lazy but skillful NEAFL player?

He had relatively good tackle numbers (which I know don't always translate to total pressure efforts) in the WAFL Colts and Reserves for the last 11 games of 2013 (to go with very high goal per game ratings for a small forward). Do you think that is a sign of improvement or in your opinion is he always destined to be a lazy but skillful NEAFL player?

It's something that will have to be monitored and his future hasn't been written yet so I'm open minded with Rioli.

Clubs I imagine were put off by his weight - weighing in probably close to 10kg more than he should for someone his height at his age. Despite this he's not slow, but he'd want to drop some of that weight and get fitter and if he drops that weight he'd I'd imagine be much quicker. If and when he does drop that weight that and improves his fitness and work rate in game I'd have no issue looking at him as a draft selection. The talent is definitely there and he just needs to prove he has the application and willingness to put the work into his body to get listed by a club in my mind anyway.

Hi Knightmare, just wondering how Jordan Matera compares to Alec Waterman both are inside mids and Matera seemed to be rated higher than Waterman 2 years ago but now Watermam has had 2 very good years and Matera had a year interrupted by injury but before that was all Australian in the U15 champs. Do you think Matera will be a high pick next year too?

Hi Knightmare, just wondering how Jordan Matera compares to Alec Waterman both are inside mids and Matera seemed to be rated higher than Waterman 2 years ago but now Watermam has had 2 very good years and Matera had a year interrupted by injury but before that was all Australian in the U15 champs. Do you think Matera will be a high pick next year too?

Matera has only played the one TAC Cup game to my knowledge. Having not seen that game I don't know where he's at but he's not nearly as advanced as Waterman. Waterman is the second best midfield in this draft in my mind anyway and one of two round one ready midfielders - the other being Brayshaw.

Matera has another year till draft eligibility so he's still got time to impress and very well may.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM, slightly off the draft topic, but an interesting list management question. Would a C.Hooker for T.Membrey and Sydney's 1st round pick (say 14 - 15) be a viable option for both clubs? Membrey fits our needs and we also need picks, while Sydney need a younger and proven key back. Your thoughts?

Hey KM, slightly off the draft topic, but an interesting list management question. Would a C.Hooker for T.Membrey and Sydney's 1st round pick (say 14 - 15) be a viable option for both clubs? Membrey fits our needs and we also need picks, while Sydney need a younger and proven key back. Your thoughts?

It's an interesting question.

It really depends on a few things.

With Sydney's lack of salary cap space I can't imagine would allow the adding of anyone so that probably leaves them out of any trades for a name player like Hooker unless they offload some more expensive talent - say Sam Reid as an example with his big contract.

I know Sydney will be dying for a no.1 ruck option and that will have to be the top need so I'd be looking to fill that need before anything else in Sydney's situation.

On Hooker I'm not yet convinced he's worth a first round selection as talented an intercept player he is.

In years past I've seen Hooker as a defensive liability who has really struggled 1v1. This year he's looking more competitive 1v1 but I'm still not convinced in his ability to beat his man every week and I want to see over a full season that he can limit his direct opponents impact. He obviously is also having an excellent season as a rebounder and is an elite intercept player and possibly the elite intercept player in the competition as he was last year but with Hooker I'd want that balance and want to know he can be relied on to beat his man every week if I had him in my back half.

I'm also very aware that his numbers this year are very much inflated with the way Essendon are playing with their high possession gamestyle and lots of flicking it around down back.

If looking to offload Hooker I think Hawthorn would be very intrigued by him and they're a team I could see possibly offered a first round selection if looking to trade into an extra first round pick and they certainly have the salary cap space available.

Membrey if Essendon are interested should pretty easily be able to make a move for him I would have thought. Sydney are loaded with key forwards and it's hard to find a position for him long term in that team. With Sydney's ability to find guys at the bottom of opposition lists I'm sure they could find someone they'd take for Membrey.

Last edited:
I'm one of the few essendon fans that sees Hooker as expendable. Carlisle and Hurley are both better defenders and Hooker can't be the 3rd tall. He does - having filled his role in the team to a high level - have some serious currency however. Which I would like to see used to bring some serious speed and class to our midfield. If we could get Membrey and a pick that could Get us Pickett, I think we could alleviate two of our bigger deficiencies.

Jayden Foster & Zaine Cordy are both having reasonable starts to the year now: where do you foresee each going in the draft if they maintain the level they've been playing? And Where do you see them going based on what they've produced thus far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back