Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayden Foster & Zaine Cordy are both having reasonable starts to the year now: where do you foresee each going in the draft if they maintain the level they've been playing? And Where do you see them going based on what they've produced thus far?

Jayden Foster was overlooked last year. Has some size on his frame but in a year with so many high, high quality key position players I don't see him getting drafted to an AFL list.

Cordy has a chance though and is playing some reasonable footy down back. He's got a light body but he's an improving defender who has gone from more of a shutdown guy to someone who can provide some more rebound this year which is pleasing. I'm interested to see his continued improvement but late/rookie he may be in the mix.

Knight...did you watch the game last night. Thoughts on the youngsters (particularly Wright)?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the intriguing battle of Sydney's super tall front half take on Hawthorn's comically small back half last night.

With Wright I've seen all I really need to see and I'm very aware of how good he is. 6 goals v the Falcons comes as no surprise.

He's a monster up forward and incredibly competitive through the ruck. Great height and size already. Excellent contested mark and has excellent 1v1 marking ability. The only way he's not the number one pick is if his back really flares up again or unless Durdin really makes a strong case through the u18 champs.

In Brisbane situation he'd today be no.1 on my draft board.

Can Weller be picked up as a Brisbane/Gold Coast region pick?

Weller is not an academy selection and is available to all in the national draft.

Hopefully Urban stays under the radar and a late 2nd rounder is good enough. Wright also pls.

Urban is playing some excellent football. He's improved strongly since last year and is working his way up my power rankings in a hurry with his continued strong performances.

So, last year's draft was loaded with "lefties" (the next 4 picks after Boyd and 7 of the first 11 picks), with bunch of them having very good foot disposal, how does this year's draft compare as far as that goes?

There are more good lefties this year. Duggan uses it really nicely on his left foot. Waterman is a leftie. Clem Smith is a leftie but by his execution by foot is not a strength. There will be a number of lefties again selected in the first rounder and that's even with the strong group of key position players.

Knightmare what is your opinion on Braden Ferrari from the Jets? He seems to have moved back after playing well as a forward last year as un underager and is playing well from reports.

Ferrari is one of many key position players who has shown some ability this year so it will be a challenging group to stand out amongst.

He's started the season reasonably well down back as a shutdown defender and is showing that he can beat his man. It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the remainder of the season.

Knightmare, just want to know how Tyler Roos is going down at the Sandringham Dragons? and is he still part of the Sydney academy? or are Brisbane looking at him as a father son recruit?

Are there any decent rucks in this year's pool, the kind of guys who will almost certainly become no. 1 ruck at the club they go to eventually in their careers?

Peter Wright if you have that no.1 overall selection is that capable ruckman if that's where you want to develop him - personally like him as a forward.

No other sure things.

The next best guy is probably overager Darcy Cameron who is showing some promise in the WAFL seniors.

Knightmare, just want to know how Tyler Roos is going down at the Sandringham Dragons? and is he still part of the Sydney academy? or are Brisbane looking at him as a father son recruit?

Roos is father son eligable this year. Plays for Sandringham Dragons so he's not part of the Sydney academy.

He's playing through the midfield but not standing out. Not a dominant midfielder and has struggled by foot.

Knight... how do you see things if GWS get the spoon. Would they take a tall capable to play down back, or is a Midfielder only a good U18's season away from pushing for the #1 pick for GWS?

Perhaps GWS would trade the pick. Perhaps they retain it.

I see them not only retaining their pick with clubs rarely interested in trading their best players but I also see GWS going tall despite their gluttony of talls even if they ended up with the no.1 overall selection. Wright can play ruck. Durdin can still play key defence. They could use either but Wright as the best guy in the draft, while I advertise him as a key forward he can play through the ruck and play the position well. Very handy guy to have eventually take over from Mumford.

To be fair we've had seven enter the league since then - those two, Barry (also a trade), Hampton and Edwards (GWS zone selections), May and Patrick (GC zone selections). That's not too bad, historically. The NT has been zoned every year until last year.

Hello Mr Knightmare,

Enjoying your threads.

Just would like to express my thoughts on the young Cockatoo boy.

I am a Collingwood supporter and hope that Nakia is still available when our second round selection becomes available, early thirties I imagine and that. Derek Hines sees something in this young fella.

I was fortunate enough to play with his father Jason in the NTFL. If Nakia is able to get fit and he plays the game anything like his father then he is going to be a ripper.

Jason was a NTFL legend, primership player, player coach, NTFL rep, just about everything that you can possibly achieve in a league.

He played the game hard, with endurance and speed. His skill by foot was good with out being elite but he had the footy smarts, leadership qualities and never give up attitude. The type of player you want beside you five minutes to go in the last quarter and your team is up against the wall.

On what I know of his father alone I would draft Nakia. He will live, breath the Side by Side mantra.

Interesting little fact, Nathen Buckley comes from the same NTFL club, Southern Districts and possibly would have played a season with Jason Cockatoo in the NTFL after Nathen won the SANFL double (Jack Oatey and Magarey Medal). They definitely know each other.

Come on pies pick this kid up!

Hello Mr Knightmare,

Enjoying your threads.

Just would like to express my thoughts on the young Cockatoo boy.

I am a Collingwood supporter and hope that Nakia is still available when our second round selection becomes available, early thirties I imagine and that. Derek Hines sees something in this young fella.

I was fortunate enough to play with his father Jason in the NTFL. If Nakia is able to get fit and he plays the game anything like his father then he is going to be a ripper.

Jason was a NTFL legend, primership player, player coach, NTFL rep, just about everything that you can possibly achieve in a league.

He played the game hard, with endurance and speed. His skill by foot was good with out being elite but he had the footy smarts, leadership qualities and never give up attitude. The type of player you want beside you five minutes to go in the last quarter and your team is up against the wall.

On what I know of his father alone I would draft Nakia. He will live, breath the Side by Side mantra.

Interesting little fact, Nathen Buckley comes from the same NTFL club, Southern Districts and possibly would have played a season with Jason Cockatoo in the NTFL after Nathen won the SANFL double (Jack Oatey and Magarey Medal). They definitely know each other.

Come on pies pick this kid up!

Fantastic to hear your passion Rorzza. Very familiar with Nathan's story but interesting to hear about Jason Cockatoo.

Young Cockatoo and his foot injury to keep him out for the next three months it will certainly drop him down draft boards and not getting to see him through the u18 champs will play against his chances. Second round while a month ago it may have been possible it looks unlikely now that he features quite so high. In saying that I'd really like to see Nakia get drafted. He's got the talent and in the back end of the national draft is someone who could be a real find. I would have absolutely no issue with the Pies considering Nakia late. He'll need to build his endurance and become a more consistent ball winner but he would give Collingwood something they don't really have at his height with his skillset, versatility, football smarts with ball in hand and his quickness.

KM – Finally the 18’s Championship is away this Sunday with VC v VM, should be a ripper game mate, who do you think will win the first game of the carnival, also what do you believe are each sides strengths?

KM – Finally the 18’s Championship is away this Sunday with VC v VM, should be a ripper game mate, who do you think will win the first game of the carnival, also what do you believe are each sides strengths?

I like Metro with the Metro sides dominating to start the season.

Both sides have excellent talls. The major difference for me is the extra physical strength in the Metro squad. Petracca is a beast and should dominate up forward where he'll be hard to stop but then you've also got the stronger bodied midfielders with Brayshaw, Maynard and T.Miller as some guys who will surely dominate through the u18 champs and win their matchups in almost all matches. It's a winning recipe at this level particularly with the way they're instructed to go head to head through the champs.

Slightly off topic Knightmare but given that you have us taking two key defenders and mentioned that you were going to the game on the weekend, I was interested to hear your thoughts on young Fletcher Roberts. Played his first game in about 18 months and I was very, very impressed by him. Very smart and rarely out of position, and for somebody so inexperienced and who started from such a low base, his improvement has been quite surprising. Has a number of things to work on still, but is developing quite nicely. No real relevance to the thread, just curious to see if you paid much attention to him.

Slightly off topic Knightmare but given that you have us taking two key defenders and mentioned that you were going to the game on the weekend, I was interested to hear your thoughts on young Fletcher Roberts. Played his first game in about 18 months and I was very, very impressed by him. Very smart and rarely out of position, and for somebody so inexperienced and who started from such a low base, his improvement has been quite surprising. Has a number of things to work on still, but is developing quite nicely. No real relevance to the thread, just curious to see if you paid much attention to him.

Roberts wasn't someone I was looking out for closely and has only played a small number of senior games.

But in seeing his VFL form while he's not a rebounding type but as a stopper he's reasonably effective at his height with his athleticism and discipline to his role.

He has some further scope to develop in the position just whether he is eventually one of the key defence building blocks to go forward with is still to be determined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roberts wasn't someone I was looking out for closely and has only played a small number of senior games.

But in seeing his VFL form while he's not a rebounding type but as a stopper he's reasonably effective at his height with his athleticism and discipline to his role.

He has some further scope to develop in the position just whether he is eventually one of the key defence building blocks to go forward with is still to be determined.
Thanks. His defensive work was fairly impressive; only had one kicked against him despite quite a few solid entries. I actually see some scope for improvement in his rebounding game as he's unusually composed and his field kicking a highlight for a big guy. Very interested to see how he develops.

I tend to agree we need some key defender depth though, and contrary to others think it should take precedence over a key forward (unless one of the "big two" KPFs are around at our first pick - which I doubt). Our forward line has actually been largely functional this year while we're conceding a huge number of points. Roughead's injury has further exposed us, and Talia's form has been disappointing to say the least.

Do you still see Lever going in the top ten, even if he's unable to play much this year? Undoubted talent but I'm not sure a side would risk a selection that early. Durdin similarly; if he's unable to build back to his best form this year would you expect sides to simply acknowledge how talented he is and still see him as a clear top three selection, or is there a possibility he slides? His game against the Storm was disappointing to say the least and, while that was to be expected, I'm curious to see how he's handled if he is unable to show his very best this year.

Knightmare
Interested to get your thoughts on a couple of forwards, given our obvious need. Intrigued by Kietel, Lamb and Petracca at the moment given the unlikelihood that one of the more high profile talls will fall to 19 (although I do pray)

Would you liken Kietel to a Jack Gunston? Someone who can play a key position and kick goals, but who can also impact the game higher up the field in a (dare i say it) Pavlich fashion?

Does Lamb have the capacity to develop an inside game (to make him more of a complete midfield prospect), or is his main go as more of a rangy Timmy Sumner type roaming forward?

Do you consider Petracca athletic enough to tackle, chase and get up the ground like a 'small' in the forward line, even if he can't make that transition to occasional midfielder? or will he have to play as a genuine key position forward, despite being very undersized. His body work and knowledge of when and where to go are very impressive to me, and be an enormous point of difference, IF he can get around the ground and exploit the bigger and stronger opponents that'll have to guard him.

Much appreciated, looks a very good year for key forwards at this stage, hopefully we can nab one

Knightmare
Interested to get your thoughts on a couple of forwards, given our obvious need. Intrigued by Kietel, Lamb and Petracca at the moment given the unlikelihood that one of the more high profile talls will fall to 19 (although I do pray)

Would you liken Kietel to a Jack Gunston? Someone who can play a key position and kick goals, but who can also impact the game higher up the field in a (dare i say it) Pavlich fashion?

Does Lamb have the capacity to develop an inside game (to make him more of a complete midfield prospect), or is his main go as more of a rangy Timmy Sumner type roaming forward?

Do you consider Petracca athletic enough to tackle, chase and get up the ground like a 'small' in the forward line, even if he can't make that transition to occasional midfielder? or will he have to play as a genuine key position forward, despite being very undersized. His body work and knowledge of when and where to go are very impressive to me, and be an enormous point of difference, IF he can get around the ground and exploit the bigger and stronger opponents that'll have to guard him.

Much appreciated, looks a very good year for key forwards at this stage, hopefully we can nab one
Petracca needs to work on his tank but I think his athleticism is fine. He was in Year 11 when this film was made and makes some great dunks for a 6ft 3 player!

Last edited:
Petracca needs to work on his tank but I think his athleticism is fine. He was in Year 11 when this film was made and makes some great dunks for a 6ft 2 player!

haven't seen that, but it doesn't surprise me at all, he's exceptionally explosive and powerful for his size.

my problem essentially is that he's a 185cm key forward, which just won't cut it imo, so he'll need to add other elements to his game to make it at AFL level.

I'm not saying he won't do it, just that I reckon he either needs to be able to play as a 'small' forward when his team doesn't have the ball (i.e. chase, tackle, harass), or try to develop his midfield game.

Will be interesting to watch his career wherever he goes, because every coach or recruiter will probably have a different vision of what he could become

haven't seen that, but it doesn't surprise me at all, he's exceptionally explosive and powerful for his size.

my problem essentially is that he's a 185cm key forward, which just won't cut it imo, so he'll need to add other elements to his game to make it at AFL level.

I'm not saying he won't do it, just that I reckon he either needs to be able to play as a 'small' forward when his team doesn't have the ball (i.e. chase, tackle, harass), or try to develop his midfield game.

Will be interesting to watch his career wherever he goes, because every coach or recruiter will probably have a different vision of what he could become
His brother was a very powerful midfielder. Christian is actually 6 ft 3 which is 190cm. I see him developing into a Jack Darling type. Especially after he improves his tank.

Just a quick one KM.

I know Marco Paparone was someone you had some really good words to say about in his draft year before he bolted up to the early second round.

It seems his game on the weekend has changed a few people's perceptions about his ceiling and floor. Having seen a bit of him now, what kind of player/standard do you think Paparone will develop into?

Thanks. His defensive work was fairly impressive; only had one kicked against him despite quite a few solid entries. I actually see some scope for improvement in his rebounding game as he's unusually composed and his field kicking a highlight for a big guy. Very interested to see how he develops.

I tend to agree we need some key defender depth though, and contrary to others think it should take precedence over a key forward (unless one of the "big two" KPFs are around at our first pick - which I doubt). Our forward line has actually been largely functional this year while we're conceding a huge number of points. Roughead's injury has further exposed us, and Talia's form has been disappointing to say the least.

Do you still see Lever going in the top ten, even if he's unable to play much this year? Undoubted talent but I'm not sure a side would risk a selection that early. Durdin similarly; if he's unable to build back to his best form this year would you expect sides to simply acknowledge how talented he is and still see him as a clear top three selection, or is there a possibility he slides? His game against the Storm was disappointing to say the least and, while that was to be expected, I'm curious to see how he's handled if he is unable to show his very best this year.

Lever still looks a likely top 10 selection. Haven't heard anything about him dropping lower than that at this point. He's a relatively known quantity and performed strongly last year so until there are strong rumours of clubs looking at passing on him I'll keep in inside the top 10.

Knightmare

Keitel intrigues me. Something similar to Pavlich is what I'm certainly hoping he can develop into. Whether he can come close I'll get a better feel over the coming weeks but I've liked the signs I've seen and some of the traits he's demonstrated that suggest he may have some shot at developing into something.

Lamb is a quality talent and probably of the three goes first. He's an excellent athlete and very versatile with his ability both forward and up the field. He's the most likely to have an AFL career and hard to bet against the way he's playing. He's playing some very promising footy and impacts games wherever you put him. I don't see him developing an inside game but up forward and outside he's excellent.

Petracca I'm not convinced about at this point. His ability as a forward I cannot question. He's strong, can take a mark and is a great technical forward. But that's who he is. A short key forward at this point. I'm not convinced he's a midfielder. Strong tackler and can win his own ball inside the contest. He just doesn't have the ability to find the ball outside the contest consistently and doesn't have the endurance or work rate at this point or the two way running. He'll need to become a super dominant contested ball winner and if he can add that to compliment his forward play that's when he becomes a really strong prospect. I'm hoping for something like Sydney's Josh Kennedy and that's the best case scenario but at this point he's more Dean Galea as a guy who is a natural key forward and it's what he by far and away does best. I'll be watching his development over the remainder of the season with interest.

Is there going to be much footage of the championship knightmare? Or not until it's on fox?

AFL.com probably will show a weekly video with some brief highlights and comments from Shifter and friends. Can't see them doing much more than that. AFL.com don't cater so much for the hardcore draft followers as much as the average footy fan.

Knights would Brisbane look at Sam Durdin we love our South Australians. Is he capable of playing forward or is Peter wright definitely the number one priority for pick 1

Durdin can play forward and it's something I hope to see him receive the opportunity to do at some stage.

Wright is just the more dominant and in my view anyway the one dominant talent in the draft at this point anyway.

Just a quick one KM.

I know Marco Paparone was someone you had some really good words to say about in his draft year before he bolted up to the early second round.

It seems his game on the weekend has changed a few people's perceptions about his ceiling and floor. Having seen a bit of him now, what kind of player/standard do you think Paparone will develop into?

I haven't been watching Brisbane closely this year but Paparone in the limited number of games I've seen of him at AFL level is that he's very capable finding the ball up the field but isn't someone you want as a deep forward and isn't a major goalkicking threat.

He looks like he can be a long term player and a good long term player but you'd still want to find two key forwards to play alongside him every week.

Petracca needs to work on his tank but I think his athleticism is fine. He was in Year 11 when this film was made and makes some great dunks for a 6ft 2 player!

Athletically speaking he reminds me of Simon Tunbridge.

Lever still looks a likely top 10 selection. Haven't heard anything about him dropping lower than that at this point. He's a relatively known quantity and performed strongly last year so until there are strong rumours of clubs looking at passing on him I'll keep in inside the top 10.
Cheers, it'll be interesting to see how clubs treat him. He's a relatively known quantity as you said, but it's always interesting to see whether sides elect to err on the side of caution when it's their jobs on the line. Would love for him to land at the Dogs although I believe we probably have greater needs.

Another sort of player that I'd be looking towards is a genuine elite runner through the midfield that pushes up and back to a high level already. By elite runner I don't necessarily mean electrifying pace, just somebody that will continue to run no matter what stage the game's in. You watch Daniel Cross, for example, and he's not the fastest bloke but he just keeps moving and makes sure he gets himself into the right positions. I realise this isn't always the strong suit of under 18s as they adapt to AFL structures, and I definitely don't expect one to do it to Cross' level, but are there any that will just keep running even in the early stages of their careers?

Griffiths is one that I've got a lot of interest in, but having seen only little bits and pieces of him I'm uncertain of whether this sort of work rate both offensively and defensively is a feature of his game. He certainly has the physical capabilities to do it, with a great endurance base, but does he actually put it to good use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back