Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main consideration for you guys should be how long it takes a player to come on, a mid you take next year will be playing good footy more quickly than a tall you take this year.

A tall you take next year will take even longer - and Burton and Schache are still a fair way off the finished product, certainly McCartin was more advanced at the same stage.

I dunno, Burton was playing SANFL league football earlier this year as a bottom ager. Very rare for a kid to do that. Did well in the champs before illness. The query with Burton is height/role IMO, not runs on the board.

So you're saying you don't know how good he is, but he is the number 1 pick?

Have you seen McCartin play?

Do you know if there will be any quality talls available for St Kilda next year?
If he's as good as all the experts say he is, then GWS wil not get him unless they trade for number 1. Make sense?

If he's as good as all the experts say he is, then GWS wil not get him unless they trade for number 1. Make sense?

No.

Even if Petracca was definitely rated slightly higher than McCartin, St Kilda would be very much considering the fact that high quality KPPs are much harder to come by, and there is a lot of water to go under the bridge until the following draft.

Given where their list is currently at, my money is still on the Saints to go for the gun forward over the gun mid, if they get pick 1.

Knightmare, Waterman has drifted a long way in your rankings. He performed pretty well in the Championships until getting injured I thought and has been performing well at Colts level since.

How come you think he has dropped so far? Were you expecting him to dominate more, improve quicker, be playing league?

Waterman has dropped because he wasn't invited to the draft combine and the interest from clubs seems to have subsided some in him.

He's finding the footy in the WAFL colts and did the same through the u18 champs but he lacked an x-factor, isn't quick and has only played colts footy in WA. Ideally he'd be playing league and showing a few more things than just his contested ball winning.

Still like him as a draft prospect and would be willing to take him 3rd round but I imagine he's dropped down draft boards this year.

You almost always take the best available player with ur first pick, unless there is the go home factor in mind so you might select a key position player since they can maintain their value without great performances.
No.

Even if Petracca was definitely rated slightly higher than McCartin, St Kilda would be very much considering the fact that high quality KPPs are much harder to come by, and there is a lot of water to go under the bridge until the following draft.

Given where their list is currently at, my money is still on the Saints to go for the gun forward over the gun mid, if they get pick 1.

Suns absolutely smash this draft if it went this way. Lever, Lamb and Weller with their first 3 picks. I agree that they need someone like Lamb and another KPD as I don't really rate Leslie after the few games I have seen of him. Will Lamb be able to play as the smart leadup forward who can also play in the guts if needed? or is he an athlete first? Thanks for the info as always.

Suns absolutely smash this draft if it went this way. Lever, Lamb and Weller with their first 3 picks. I agree that they need someone like Lamb and another KPD as I don't really rate Leslie after the few games I have seen of him. Will Lamb be able to play as the smart leadup forward who can also play in the guts if needed? or is he an athlete first? Thanks for the info as always.

Lamb is a freak athlete but can ball and can play up the field as well as up forward. Not convinced I'd play him on the ball. His footskills lack consistency and his intensity isn't always there. But doesn't mean Gold Coast would agree with this evaluation. He's the type of guy I can see them taking a chance on having taken some real quick and skilled types and just loading up one weapons and Lamb is another who can do some really special things at times.

Just having a look through your new style. Love your work, by the way. Seems you expect GWS to make a bid for Abiana Davis and Sydney not to match? Was just curious as to the logic behind Sydney not using their option on him and GWS chasing another KPF?

See Twomey of the AFL now has Petracca as the best player in the draft. GWS have talls to burn, the last thing they want is another one so I think they will move heaven and earth to get Petracca. GWS look like having picks 2 20 and 22 the way things are stacking up at the moment. There will be a lot of game playing between the Saints and GWS during draft season which will be way more interesting than the footy season!!If GWS want Petracca they will need pick 1. The Saints no doubt will ask for GWS pick 2 in return plus say pick 20 and/or a suitable well credentialed player. GWS have 46 listed players and need to start culling anyway.
Win/win for both teams just as the deal between GWS and the Dees last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just having a look through your new style. Love your work, by the way. Seems you expect GWS to make a bid for Abiana Davis and Sydney not to match? Was just curious as to the logic behind Sydney not using their option on him and GWS chasing another KPF?

On Abe Davis it's a recording error on my part listing him as GWS academy. Will change that next update.

Conor McKenna, will he get drafted Knightmare?

It's possible. He was invited to the draft combine. Possible category 2 ruckman someone may take a shot at given he's a free hit.

See Twomey of the AFL now has Petracca as the best player in the draft. GWS have talls to burn, the last thing they want is another one so I think they will move heaven and earth to get Petracca. GWS look like having picks 2 20 and 22 the way things are stacking up at the moment. There will be a lot of game playing between the Saints and GWS during draft season which will be way more interesting than the footy season!!If GWS want Petracca they will need pick 1. The Saints no doubt will ask for GWS pick 2 in return plus say pick 20 and/or a suitable well credentialed player. GWS have 46 listed players and need to start culling anyway.
Win/win for both teams just as the deal between GWS and the Dees last season.

Saints could go either way with McCartin v Petracca.

GWS would like Petracca but still some time to be played out before there is more information known than this.

Saints would probably be smart to trade pick 1 for pick 2 and request one of those second round picks from GWS. They need a key forward so they should really being going after McCartin anyway given the lack of high end key forward options next year.

The Saints may even be able to move on that GWS second round pick for a different asset as there may be some other club keen to get a pick in that range. Adelaide or Essendon as some examples who may like a tall who might still be available or want a pick around about there having missed out on getting some picks in recent drafts. Collingwood as a team continuing to add young talent through the draft is a possible other team who might look at that pick and given they likely commit to Moore they may want an active pick before the second round.

No worries, makes sense.

Pretty sure McKenna is a small/mid sized player btw

I assumed McKenna was the Irish guy on "The Recruit" who looks roughly ruck height.

In any case I don't know and haven't seen any of the international prospects to be able to make comment about their games.

I imagine some information will come out about them all around the time of the draft combine.

I assumed McKenna was the Irish guy on "The Recruit" who looks roughly ruck height.

In any case I don't know and haven't seen any of the international prospects to be able to make comment about their games.

I imagine some information will come out about them all around the time of the draft combine.

Yeah that's padraig lucey who looks a ruck. McKenna's pretty much everything you want in an Irish recruit. Athletic, skilled, very young so able to work on footy iq from a young age and has a willingness to come out. Having played/watched Gaelic for far longer than I've even known aussie rules existed I'm pretty confident he'll be one of the all time top 3-4 Irish recruits. Watch this space.

Pretty sure he kicked 4 against the ais-afl academy too a few months ago?

Yeah that's padraig lucey who looks a ruck. McKenna's pretty much everything you want in an Irish recruit. Athletic, skilled, very young so able to work on footy iq from a young age and has a willingness to come out. Having played/watched Gaelic for far longer than I've even known aussie rules existed I'm pretty confident he'll be one of the all time top 3-4 Irish recruits. Watch this space.

Pretty sure he kicked 4 against the ais-afl academy too a few months ago?

Sounds familiar re. the AIS game.

Look forward to seeing young McKenna play.

Surprised Jack Hayes didnt get a combine invite... Do you still see him getting drafted ??

Also you Chris25 ??

It's possible Hayes gets drafted but against the odds and looks like clubs have limited interest given he wasn't invited to the national or state combines.

Waterman has dropped because he wasn't invited to the draft combine and the interest from clubs seems to have subsided some in him.

He's finding the footy in the WAFL colts and did the same through the u18 champs but he lacked an x-factor, isn't quick and has only played colts footy in WA. Ideally he'd be playing league and showing a few more things than just his contested ball winning.

Still like him as a draft prospect and would be willing to take him 3rd round but I imagine he's dropped down draft boards this year.

Hey Knightmare

Difficult to understand how Waterman has dropped so much since April this year. I wonder if other teams and Waterman himself has held something back knowing that he is already going to be drafted by WC.

How to you compare and rate between Bradshaw and Waterman? Similar style of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back