Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look through the update, which is much appreciated by the way as is the entire thread.

Do you think Geelong switched picks with Adelaide specifically to target Durdin? With Adelaide snaring Marchbank as it is and Fremantle with Goddard they already seemed in line for a decent tall prospect.

ok, so McDonald may be around at 37, if not, next best? We really need this pick to work out wit these stupid AFL "bans". A bit off topic, Luke Thompson is a DFA, would he worth a punt(if you know anything about him)PSD?

Keenan Ramsay probably around that point is that second option outside of McDonald. Maybe Daniel Nielson. Tyler Keitel also can play key defence. They'd be the guys in the mix at that point.

Hey Knightmare, was wondering why you have GWS taking your 31st ranked player (Ahern) at 7?
Especially since our midfield is stacked now with Steele and Griffen coming in. Do you have some inside knowledge?
As a GWS fan I would love Wright, McCartin, and Lever at the first two picks.
I notice Durdin is falling too, and Goddard has leapfrogged him?

Wright is our biggest need a KPF/ruck relief for Mummy now Giles has gone. McCartin would be next.
An aggressive day 1 starter. Then KPD to learn under Patfull and Davis.

Later (23), I love Connor Blakely and was wondering why he was rated so low by you?
Clean on baller, space and time maker with his footwork good vision and disposal accuracy.

It seems to be just be me but I think GWS has killed this trade period. Patfull (148), Griffen (05), Steele and Finlayson plus picks 4, 6 and 7. The only real losses were Giles and Boyd.

I have Ahern at 23 on my draft board (haven't update it on page 1) but Ahern is generally seen as likely to go somewhere around pick 10 and very possibly top 10.

Keep in mind in 2012 I didn't have O'Rourke or Plowman inside my top 10 power rankings so my ratings of where I rank them does not represent where I think they eventually will get drafted. Ahern is more outside than inside as a fwd/mid so he is a fairly logical fit for GWS.

Durdin probably still goes before Goddard but I slightly favour Goddard. I've been particularly impressed with what Goddard has done down back late season. With Durdin this year he has shown his best signs through the ruck at SA colts level, which isn't where he is going at the next level so I query to a small extent how good Durdin is down back, slightly preferring what Goddard offers as someone who can rebound as Durdin can but also completely take guys out of games.

I'm a fan of Blakely also but for one reason or another he is mostly seen as someone who will go around pick 30 (give or take 10 picks either way). I'd be looking somewhere just after pick 15 to take him myself if looking for a mid.

Wright makes sense for GWS at 4 if Melbourne don't take him as he is good both forward and through the ruck and if things go spectacularly right probably does have the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft class. But similarly Lever makes sense down back. If Melbourne let both through Collingwood probably pass to go small anyway so it's highly likely that GWS can take two of the better bigs early.

What club do you think tom lamb will go to?
He is my Nat Fyfe of this draft.
He could easily end up being the best player

Lamb's draft position is up in the air and open to interpretation but Carlton at 19 is around-about where I see him landing.

I don't see nearly Nat Fyfe talent in Lamb. He is much more outside and more so hangs out at the back of packs more so than going in to win it himself. I'd be shocked if Lamb became the best in the draft.

But you never quite know until they're in clubland and you see them live at AFL level.

km, out of these key defenders what would you rank them from 1 to 4 Durdin, Goddard, Lever, Marchbank?

Lever, Goddard, Durdin, Marchbank. Very even between the four and could well go the very opposite way, such is the evenness of that group. Very much in the same conversation and ask the next guy and they probably give you a different order.

What are your thoughts on Kyle Langford?

Despite probably needing at least two pre-seasons to build size strength (is he even 80kg?) he looks to me as one of those guys with the real "it" factor. Looks a likely game changer in the future.

I like Langford. There is something just right about him. Late birthday, improving strongly, can hit the scoreboard in bunches, moves terrifically well but dominant mark overhead. Light, but he'll get stronger. Once he does I think you may be right, he can be one of the better players in this draft.

KM
who do you think the dogs will take with picks 26,27,39 and 45,46

After the first round it is never easy to say. Presumably the Dogs take mostly outside types who can add pace and skill, and some general backmen. Maybe a tall if one appeals.

Connor Menadue if available makes sense. Daniel McKenzie I can see the Dogs liking. Maybe Daniel Howe. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow is another who makes sense. They're the types I see the Dogs looking at.

Just had a look through the update, which is much appreciated by the way as is the entire thread.

Do you think Geelong switched picks with Adelaide specifically to target Durdin? With Adelaide snaring Marchbank as it is and Fremantle with Goddard they already seemed in line for a decent tall prospect.

I'm increasingly leaning more to Pickett with Geelong. Perhaps Weller or Ahern if available. Otherwise Durdin is another who certainly wouldn't be available at 14.

Marchbank makes a lot of sense for Adelaide and would be a strong selection for them.

For Fremantle Goddard makes sense. Can play forward but looks best in the back half. Good option to eventually take over from McPharlin.

Knightmare glad to see you came around on Kyle Langford. How do you see him as a fit for WCE at 11? We need taller players in the midfield so I see him as a potential fit.

I'm increasingly leaning more to Pickett with Geelong. Perhaps Weller or Ahern if available. Otherwise Durdin is another who certainly wouldn't be available at 14.

Marchbank makes a lot of sense for Adelaide and would be a strong selection for them.

For Fremantle Goddard makes sense. Can play forward but looks best in the back half. Good option to eventually take over from McPharlin.
Knightmare what are the odds that Weller will slip past Gold Coast?

Knightmare glad to see you came around on Kyle Langford. How do you see him as a fit for WCE at 11? We need taller players in the midfield so I see him as a potential fit.

Langford is more a flanker. Whether he makes the transition into the midfield is a wait and see job. He's an option for WCE.

Knightmare what are the odds that Weller will slip past Gold Coast?

Possible but against the odds. Collingwood/GWS/GC will all look at him. With Collingwood and GC the two more likely.

hey KM Would Oscar MacDonald be a good fit for the Bulldogs and even though we have Hrovat i am keen on Daniels, you think the dogs might go those two if they last pick 26 and 27?

hey KM Would Oscar MacDonald be a good fit for the Bulldogs and even though we have Hrovat i am keen on Daniels, you think the dogs might go those two if they last pick 26 and 27?

The Dogs probably don't need to use picks quite so high on either. Caleb Daniel should be available as a rookie and can be had there. But he's a different player to Hrovat as a more skilled type. I wouldn't say no given the Dogs' ball use issues. Caleb Daniel had a disposal efficiency of 91+% through his 3 games during the u18 champs. He could help. With McDonald he a possible at 26/27, he may be available at that next pick down but another reasonable choice and someone who has the scope to develop into a good AFL standard key defender.

KM, I think a lot of people are getting a tad carried away with this Nakia Cockatoo guy, we've now got guys on our board that have him "better" than Dangerfield blah, blah, going off a 2 minute highlights reel and good combine results it seems, from what I've read and heard his match day kicking and output etc is not quite as impressive and surely the competition he plays in is not as strong as the TAC Comp etc. JMO but for Adelaide who haven't had any recent 1st round picks because of the Tippett fiasco wouldn't there be an element of risk?? We must not waste our picks for the next couple of years IMO. Your opinion??

KM, I think a lot of people are getting a tad carried away with this Nakia Cockatoo guy, we've now got guys on our board that have him "better" than Dangerfield blah, blah, going off a 2 minute highlights reel and good combine results it seems, from what I've read and heard his match day kicking and output etc is not quite as impressive and surely the competition he plays in is not as strong as the TAC Comp etc. JMO but for Adelaide who haven't had any recent 1st round picks because of the Tippett fiasco wouldn't there be an element of risk?? We must not waste our picks for the next couple of years IMO. Your opinion??

Not the highlight tapes!

If you've got pace then you can look really good on those highlight tapes.

Cockatoo definitely isn't Dangerfield. I know the play they will be referring to is the take from the ruck tap, running solo to 40m and converting for the goal. It was the play of the day for self-explanatory reasons.

If you think of Cockatoo as a taller Varcoe that's about right. There is no one position that he looks fantastic, but boy can he ever break the lines with ball in hand.

I'd be going for a key defender in Adelaide's position. Goddard/Durdin/Marchbank. Whoever is there. They'd be my pick. It's a great year to need a tall with the unusual depth of strong options. All have the ability to be hits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knightmare, Do you still rate Jermaine Miller-Lewis? I can remember playing against him and watching him in the grandfinal and he was an absolute gun. He could snap goals from 50 at the age of 16 and take marks from any angle. I saw that last year i think you rated him as a top 30 talent, why not anymore? And do you think he is still a chance to be picked up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Knightmare, Do you still rate Jermaine Miller-Lewis? I can remember playing against him and watching him in the grandfinal and he was an absolute gun. He could snap goals from 50 at the age of 16 and take marks from any angle. I saw that last year i think you rated him as a top 30 talent, why not anymore? And do you think he is still a chance to be picked up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was invited to the draft combine. I'm not aware if he was available to compete. But that suggests he is at least on the radar of clubs as someone they want greater insight into at the least.

He is a terrific talent but as far as I'm aware he has missed the season with injury. He certainly hasn't this year appeared in WA Colts or in any other games I'm aware of.

My suspicion is Miller-Lewis will go undrafted and have to come back next year. Not out of the question he can't get drafted next year if he does miss out as I agree he has something based on the small glimpse of him I saw last season.

Km, if Goddard and Marcbank were available for our pick 14 who would we go for? (assuming durdin is taken) and with pick 35 who realistically is the quickest and best user of the footy at that pick?

Good comment KM would love to see Goddard land at Freo he is a gun and has so much upside to him, didnt have the best 18's carnival but has been a very long 2 years for all the AIS boys so lookout for the improvment

Hey knightmare any chance bombers look at lamb or Mckenzie with there two top pick ? & u have that gws academy player finlayson going to bombers too

Hey knightmare any chance bombers look at lamb or Mckenzie with there two top pick ? & u have that gws academy player finlayson going to bombers too
Bloody hope not! Lamb has attitude and confidence issues and Mckenzie is a flat track bully. De goey, Garlett, Ellis, Blakely, Langford and Cockatoo are much better options imo

Lamb has no attitude or confidence issues. The idea that he is inconsistent because of commitment concerns is one of the biggest misconceptions in the whole draft. People see him on field and want him to be something he isn't.
if a refusal to chase, work hard defensively, or be totally unaccountable when playing down back isnt attitude then how would you describe him?

Lamb has no attitude or confidence issues. The idea that he is inconsistent because of commitment concerns is one of the biggest misconceptions in the whole draft. People see him on field and want him to be something he isn't.
Could you see Essendon playing him with Daniher and Bellchambers/Giles/Carlisle successfully?

if a refusal to chase, work hard defensively, or be totally unaccountable when playing down back isnt attitude then how would you describe him?

I'd say he's been typecast a certain way, and these perceived flaws have been greatly exaggerated.

I'd say he's been typecast a certain way, and these perceived flaws have been greatly exaggerated.
i mean no disrespect by this but how many times have you seen him live?
If a club can get him right his attributes are huge - the kid can play, but it largely depends which Lamb turns up to play on any particular day.

Hi KM. What are your thoughts on Bailey Dale? I saw that he was 6th in the TAC Cup for contested possessions this year and is a super tackler with very good all-round skills. Is he a chance to get drafted or possibly go in the rookie draft? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back