Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope so mate, I like Neal-Bullen, just needs to tidy up his kicking IMO.

Neal-Bullen is a terrific inside player. Well performed in the SANFL at League level. Footskills and disposal efficiency are his issues, not a big midfielder and not quick which will see clubs inside the top 20 overlook him, but in the 20s I like him also. He's one of the few genuine year one guys who can produce and with his established inside game and endurance, he can be a really solid pro.

Hey knightmare.... Just wondering where you see cavka going? I'm wondering whether the hawks could snare him with 49/50, as they like players who run 16+ beep tests!

Collingwood if he is there at 48 might snag Cavka just before Hawthorn. He's a real Collingwood type selection as a big game performer - elevating his play significantly during the TAC Cup Finals.

A savvy recruiter would take Cavka earlier and probably somewhere closer to pick 30 I'd be inclined to say.

He's a 20-50 selection I'd say with where exactly he fits in there unclear at this point.

Cal Twomey thinks Brisbane will Take either Josh McGuinness or Josh Watts at pick 67 what do you know about both of these players?

Brisbane have taken Tasmanians in the past so it's possible.

Josh McGuinness is something like the Tom Cutler equivalent in this draft. Overager but similar game as a tallish defender who can rebound pretty well.

Josh Watts is a very lightly built key defence prospect. Surprising to hear his name come up with the depth of good key defence options in this draft.

KM,

Some talk that Melbourne have cooled on McCartin due to his health issues and are looking at DeGoey with 3 - any opinions on that from purely a player/talent perspective?

As a note, we have a diabetic on our list (Fitzpatrick) so our decision should be relatively informed in this case.

KM,

Some talk that Melbourne have cooled on McCartin due to his health issues and are looking at DeGoey with 3 - any opinions on that from purely a player/talent perspective?

As a note, we have a diabetic on our list (Fitzpatrick) so our decision should be relatively informed in this case.

McCartin is probably the most dominant talent in this draft when healthy, but with the ever improving professionalism and standard of training it will for McCartin obviously be a challenge and that's what Melbourne need to weigh up v other alternatives.

De Goey isn't as talented as McCartin but he is a very good talent in his own right as a genuine goalkicking midfielder who can win it inside, use it well but then also go forward, take a grab and hit the scoreboard. He'll be a good get for a team, probably not best in the draft good, but very good none the less.

3 is earlier than I'd take De Goey, but if looking for a midfielder there he is probably as good as any other option.

Neal-Bullen is a terrific inside player. Well performed in the SANFL at League level. Footskills and disposal efficiency are his issues, not a big midfielder and not quick which will see clubs inside the top 20 overlook him, but in the 20s I like him also. He's one of the few genuine year one guys who can produce and with his established inside game and endurance, he can be a really solid pro.

Collingwood if he is there at 48 might snag Cavka just before Hawthorn. He's a real Collingwood type selection as a big game performer - elevating his play significantly during the TAC Cup Finals.

A savvy recruiter would take Cavka earlier and probably somewhere closer to pick 30 I'd be inclined to say.

He's a 20-50 selection I'd say with where exactly he fits in there unclear at this point.

I think if Cavka is available at #40, Melbourne would seriously be considering him. He has great endurance, ball winning ability, likes to tackle & is a two way runner - all attributes Roos likes in his players.

While not having great speed his endurance would certainly assist with our lack of spread across the field.

The only other thing is that he is an average ball user which is probably why he is a #25-50 proposition rather than top 15 prospect.

Knight what would be your order of de goey laverde and Pickett?

Probably Patrick McCartin and Peter Wright first for me ahead of that group. But in saying that I like Reece McKenzie at 30 and feel he is a real chance to make it through so if that is the case that first pick would need re-considering.

That group you mention is very hard to separate and all things said and done it could go in either order with that group. I think if anything it comes down to preference for a particular type of player. Pickett is your outside linebreaker. De Goey more your goalkicking midfielder who can push forward and have an impact. Then Laverde probably the best and most unique talent of that group but more a flanker at this stage.

If I want a sure thing and to best fill needs I most like Pickett of that group. But Laverde and De Goey are probably guys who have more of a chance to become best in the draft level guys if things go right. So that's what would be weighed up and given the latter reason I see that as why Laverde and De Goey more so than Pickett is being linked to Collingwood.

Always a great read.

What would be the major differences between Reece McKenzie and Tom Hawkins during his draft year?

Hawkins was the more dominant junior and really physically did a number on guys to a greater extent again. McKenzie is more explosive athlete being both quicker on the lead and a higher leaper and is critically is stronger overhead as a guy who doesn't just rely on size/body work superiority to outmark guys but he can genuine take an overhead mark and display strong hands overhead, which Hawkins even now doesn't do.

You'd still take Hawkins given you know how good he is and with developing players there are never guarantees but McKenzie if he goes to a good club who can develop talent well and he has a good run with injury and if he puts in the work, he has the opportunity to surpass Hawkins and become one of the dominant key forwards in the game in his own right.

I think if Cavka is available at #40, Melbourne would seriously be considering him. He has great endurance, ball winning ability, likes to tackle & is a two way runner - all attributes Roos likes in his players.

While not having great speed his endurance would certainly assist with our lack of spread across the field.

The only other thing is that he is an average ball user which is probably why he is a #25-50 proposition rather than top 15 prospect.
I read the article in the paper about the Keilor boys, the part about Cavka makes me think that he wont have as much improvement as most others, it sounds like he has been obsessed with his fitness and diet, so you (I) think that he is maybe rated a bit to high, do you have any thoughts on this KM?

KM , On Twomeys PodCast tonight he mentioned Butler as a late pick. Having not heard much about him had a look at the hub , seems a nippy FP that may be able to play as a high forward. Any ideas on him? Infor re Combine for speed and beep. He certainly seems to back himself to break away and kick a goal.
Liked the look of him at the champs, looked like a real "goer". Didn't test at the combine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read the article in the paper about the Keilor boys, the part about Cavka makes me think that he wont have as much improvement as most others, it sounds like he has been obsessed with his fitness and diet, so you (I) think that he is maybe rated a bit to high, do you have any thoughts on this KM?

I don't agree on limited upside regarding Cavka. That top end endurance is highly desirable. And if he does indeed have that attention to detail with his fitness and diet his testing results suggest, then that suggests to me that he will put in the work at the next level and get the most out of his talent and continue to improve strongly.

Additionally worth considering is his numbers. Last year in his two TAC Cup appearances his production was mild at best. Up until August similarly his production while better than last year, again was only mild. From August onward he really lifted and then for his two finals he lifted again. When your formline is trending so sharply upward there looks to me to be serious scope to improve, even if he isn't super quick or a damaging kick.

It's not out of the question that Cavka becomes the Brent Stanton equivalent of this draft, just perhaps with the ability to play a few more different roles.

Didn't see anything on it but a recent podcast (Cal Twomey) linked up to Daniel Howe and Bailey Dale as later selections... can't say i have heard of either so what are they like as players?

Dan Howe is an athletic overager with some versatility and has had a strong season in the back half. He looks like a mid draft option and a good one at that. Bailey Dale is a light bodied type who mostly plays forward, he could be a late/rookie pick but I haven't seen anything special from him that puts him ahead of anyone else in that late draft range.

Hey knightmare, I just read a article on the afl website about a country boy jack geary. Do you know much about him, would he be a good pick up in maybe the rookie draft or a late round selection.

Being out in a country league I won't have seen him/have tape of his games.

If he is worth drafting hopefully clubs will have either seen his games live or have tape of some of his games.

Sounds like a good bloke who puts in the work so I'd definitely be interested to see his highlights and his numbers at the very least.

Dan Howe is an athletic overager with some versatility and has had a strong season in the back half. He looks like a mid draft option and a good one at that. Bailey Dale is a light bodied type who mostly plays forward, he could be a late/rookie pick but I haven't seen anything special from him that puts him ahead of anyone else in that late draft range.

Definitely wouldn't complain if we picked Dan up (saw him in your top 50 after i asked), sounds like a worthwhile pickup... and ideally there is a HBF spot open for round 1. (Smith to Wing)

Cheers.

KM , On Twomeys PodCast tonight he mentioned Butler as a late pick. Having not heard much about him had a look at the hub , seems a nippy FP that may be able to play as a high forward. Any ideas on him? Infor re Combine for speed and beep. He certainly seems to back himself to break away and kick a goal.
Link?

Km
What chances do you see De Goey getting to Tigers pick 12? And would he be a better choice then Duggen or Weller?

Hey knightmare, I just read a article on the afl website about a country boy jack geary. Do you know much about him, would he be a good pick up in maybe the rookie draft or a late round selection.
Think he is the brother of the Geary from St Kilda.
Was a prospect to be drafted a few years back but missed out.
Originally from Mildura I think.

Km
What chances do you see De Goey getting to Tigers pick 12? And would he be a better choice then Duggen or Weller?

De Goey is highly unlikely to be available. Collingwood and GWS are both considering him. If there at 11 West Coast probably take him.

Duggan and Weller are better chances. Duggan probably not there, Weller should be.

Hey Knightmare , you've had Duggan at pick 21 or close to for a while now, is that honestly where you think he will go? As a Saints fan I would be stoked but really? He seems way to talented to be overlooked 20 times.

Hey Knightmare , you've had Duggan at pick 21 or close to for a while now, is that honestly where you think he will go? As a Saints fan I would be stoked but really? He seems way to talented to be overlooked 20 times.

I have him going to Gold Coast at 8 next update.

I don't agree on limited upside regarding Cavka. That top end endurance is highly desirable. And if he does indeed have that attention to detail with his fitness and diet his testing results suggest, then that suggests to me that he will put in the work at the next level and get the most out of his talent and continue to improve strongly.

Additionally worth considering is his numbers. Last year in his two TAC Cup appearances his production was mild at best. Up until August similarly his production while better than last year, again was only mild. From August onward he really lifted and then for his two finals he lifted again. When your formline is trending so sharply upward there looks to me to be serious scope to improve, even if he isn't super quick or a damaging kick.

It's not out of the question that Cavka becomes the Brent Stanton equivalent of this draft, just perhaps with the ability to play a few more different roles.

Being out in a country league I won't have seen him/have tape of his games.

If he is worth drafting hopefully clubs will have either seen his games live or have tape of some of his games.

Sounds like a good bloke who puts in the work so I'd definitely be interested to see his highlights and his numbers at the very least.
No worries thnx for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back