Knight's draft ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

How can you possibly rate a draft one day after it's happened? It's a pointless exercise on so many levels. I understand it's a football forum and discussion is great, but it's pie in the sky stuff. The Dogs getting a D+ because you haven't heard or seen too much of the players we've drafted?

Give it two to three years at the least.

How can you possibly rate a draft one day after it's happened? It's a pointless exercise on so many levels. I understand it's a football forum and discussion is great, but it's pie in the sky stuff. The Dogs getting a D+ because you haven't heard or seen too much of the players we've drafted?

Give it two to three years at the least.

Correct.

All I have done is rated picks with perceived seedings.

Straight after the 2006 draft everyone was saying that Essendon did the best out of everyone based on them selecting...

Gumbleton
Jetta
Hislop
Davey
Houli

Reimers, who imo is the best of the lot was an after thought and not a key part of the discussion.

Not writing that group off (other than Hislop obviously), don't get me wrong, but most of those players haven't come on like most thought they would be it due to injury or ability.

Just thought I'd point out the pointlessness of a thread like this

Melbourne got the best draft they possibly could have. they decided on Gysberts > Tapscott for pick 11 and were then going to take Gawn and 18 and Fitz at 34

but in the end got all 4 players. if that's not an A+ draft for a club I don't know what is

Shows how much Victorians overrate their players. I thought Vardy, Christenson, Fitzpatrick were first rounders along with a few others like Griffiths aswell.

I think Melbourne, Sydney, Essendon, Geelong, Kangaroos can all walk away reasonably happy.

Collingwood should get an F. Gave a broken down player 1 million dollars while making no real attempt to pick up any quality young players.

At least you got people talking Knight!

Ball will be solid for Pies but he is not going to be your missing link, and Jolly will be quality but again, you have too many players that are hit or miss, and your forward line is unreliable. No way Collingwood gets an A+ for that drafting effort, even without the ability to look 12 months+ into the future.

Melbourne are the winners, Sydney did extremely well, Richmond and Adelaide and WC also can come out very happy.

Was just thinking this

Jetta + Josh Kennedy or Ben McGlynn for Jolly

Who won the trade?

I would say both teams, because short term Collingwood's premiership window is open and they pick up a brilliant ruckman but on the other hand the swans in the long term pick up a gem midfielder (Kennedy) and an exciting wingman (Jetta)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bull Dogs:
Rating: D+
Why: This draft really surprised me as it did everyone else. Usually I’m a fan of the way the Western Bull Dogs draft, just not this year I’m afraid. I feel that they could have done allot more to help themselves. Ben Griffiths to me in the absence of Moore at 15 was their guy, big key position player who is a high risk, high reward pick that may have just payed off for them and have provided immediate help. He can also play some ruck which might also have been handy, at 198cm, and 99kg he is very much AFL ready, was really surprised to see them skip on him, they were high on him and I simply can’t see why they let him pass? Could see him having a big impact right away which is what they need now with players like Brad Johnson and Jason Akermanis nearing the end of their careers. Of all their selections possibly the most sound was Jason Tutt, he has had interest from many clubs and although this selection is too high for him clearly they didn’t want to risk him not being available at 63, which what I would have done with Griffiths at 15. Overall a draft that I can’t see helping them all that much at all, and really disappointed to see them when their premiership window is open to have such a weak draft. I expected allot better from them.

If you had a look at our list you would see why we took a couple of HBF/wingers(best available) with our first two picks:thumbsu:.

Lmao OP your a spud.

One eyed dribble, take off the eye patch and just write a Collingwood thread otherwise.

Your no closer with who you selected here to winning a premiership than you were after trade week. Jolly make a difference, these picks will do squat diddly.

North Melbourne and Richmond were to me clear winners on the value they got for each pick.

I really don’t understand how people can assess a club’s a draft the day after it happened. It is just an opinion of other people’s opinion, based on your opinion.

Talk about a circular reference.

Lmao OP your a spud.

One eyed dribble, take off the eye patch and just write a Collingwood thread otherwise.

Your no closer with who you selected here to winning a premiership than you were after trade week. Jolly make a difference, these picks will do squat diddly.

North Melbourne and Richmond were to me clear winners on the value they got for each pick.

dont forget Melbourne who only got the 2 best younger players.

As a Collingwood supporter I can't fathom how we earn an A+.

While I'm happy to get Ball and am optimistic about his future I don't expect the world from him, I don't know anything about Sinclair, and see Buckley as a guy who most likely will spend the majority of his time with us in the VFL (happy to be proven wrong).

However I do think Thomas will be a very good player, I would give us a ranking of C+.

TBH, I thought Collingwood deserved an A+++

Luke Ball was the most sought after player in Australia and somehow he slid to 30. Go figure :confused:

Hawthorn:
Rating: D+
Why: Not nearly as good a draft as they could have had. Really saw them having a much better draft than this! James Craig at 39 was a no brainer, he was available and skipping on him I believe to have been a big mistake. Craig would offer both a really nice young physically ready ruckman, but also someone who might be able to step back into a key position post if necessary. They also had the opportunity to select Vardy, who had slid, widely considered the best ruckman in this draft class. Grimley is more a developmental ruckman who I would have rated more as a late- rookie prospect. Hooper was another real surprise, one of their better picks and might mean that Rioli will be able to push up into the midfield which would be the idea of it. Overall this draft really doesn’t meet the objectives Hawthorn should have set out to achieve. They should be looking for AFL ready products who can contribute straight away because their premiership window is still open. They could have looked into guys like Barlow and Sewell for players that could have put immediate pressure on the 22 as opposed to a bunch of long term prospects. Hawthorn also have a significant ruck gap left by Robert Campbell which could have been achieved optimally by one of James Craig or Nathan Vardy who had both slid in this draft, also they could have taken Matt Maguire as instant key position defensive help who could have been a really handy addition. Personally really disappointed in Hawthorn’s draft and think they could have done much better than this!

Fair effort to put this review together; kudos to you.

I'm not sure you can judge what Hawthorn's objectives were in this draft, nor can judge them without considering who they got in the trade period. They have managed to add three players who are best 22, put a defender on the fringe of that group and bring in two young mids with good footskills (Duryea particularly) plus a young ruckman.

I don't disagree with the need for a AFL ready ruckman although this can still be addressed in the rookie draft. Saying Craig or Vardy are better than Grimley in the short and medium term is impossible. I gather the Pies recruiters think they had their pockets picked on that one.

Maguire would be nice cover for a recovering Trent Croad and taking what appears to be a fairly vanilla type footballer in Jordan Williams at 57 is interesting. But getting Stratton at 46 perhaps explains why they didn't grab Goose at 69.

Very perceptive re Hooper. I do like the idea of adding Burgoyne and Rioli to Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell, Bateman et al. Then again he seems to be a loose unit and could just as easily be off the list in 12 months. But pick 58 and minimum wage, so what.

Another thing with the Fremantle draft I’m not all that keen on is that they probably didn’t address their key position needs as well as they perhaps could have and also they definitely could have done with another ruckman, currently Fremantle have no real backup for Sandilands and with him nearing 30, they really need atleast a few young ruckman to be developing.

Pretty sure Sandi is 26 witgh a great injury history

Is Zach Clarke is 204cm rover?

Back up after that is thin and guys like Johnston are not 1st line ruckman. Could just draft a couple with our first round selection like your boys (Jolly and Woods).

Bigfooty draft cred says Geelong is the winner.

As for the OP. You have had limited exposure to Weedon and Fyfe, in the end i think the fact they went ahead of Duncan suggests they have allot more to offer down the road. Both are exceptiona talents and should be great pickups for both respective clubs.

Kelvin Sheedy's Draft Ratings

Adelaide:

Rating: B
Why: To early to call

Brisbane:
Why: See Adelaide

Carlton:
Why: See Brisbane

Collingwood: