Knights to coach Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow...did not realise so many ppl sat in during the selection process....I think the process took too long and the expectation given as to landing william or thompson was unrealistic.

Having say all that i'm opened mind about knight as our new coach. Until we see him action let give him a fair go. To all supporters other than port, WC, syd and the Bris. non of ur current coach have delivery ur club a perimership yet r they the right coach?

So what makes you think that Essendon will move up the ladder next year?

Firstly, the loss of Hird will hurt, and hurt bad. There's no getting away from that.

However the fact is, we have started rebuilding. We have removed a lot of dead wood, and that process will continue.

We don't have a huge amount of depth, that I'll concede. Hence, the loss of Davey was one of the biggest blows we suffered all year, and it was no surprise we became less competitive as a result. He is crucial to our balance.

Over the last 3 years, we've drafted really well. We have some really really good kids coming through, and they've now had another year development. Players like Gumbleton and Jetta are going to have an impact next year, even it it's not their break-out year.

We have a much better balanced side now than for years. We have injected pace, and Knights has indicated - fairly - that we need to improve our skills.

We finally have a new voice leading the troops, and a new game-plan. Whilst that may take some getting used to, I expect it to be a real plus.

This year, we had some fantastic wins against opposition we weren't supposed to beat, and for the first time in nearly a decade it seems, we had success interstate.

We beat both reigning premiers, and we won close games. People think that means we aren't as good as we appeared; I disagree completely, I think it means we know how to win.

Our core senior players still have 2-5 years left, and whilst we do have a "Wallace Hole" in our middle age players, I expect that will be rectified naturally over the next 12-24 months.

The improvement in teams like Geelong and Collingwood provide a good road map of how we need to approach next season, and the more I hear about the reasons for appointing Knights, the more I like them. I've turned 180 degrees from being disappointed to being supportive and excited.

What most people don't understand (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone regarding other teams) is the natural development of existing players, and the scope for overall improvement that can bring. It's intangible in a way, and very easy to overlook if you don't have a vested interest in that particular team.

3 wins in '06, 10 wins in '07; finals next year. I'm pretty confident; although I'd add a caveat that it's dependant on us not getting cruelled by injuries.

I've seen Matty Knights in action at the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL and I'm happy to know that I'll make some money from the TAB next year for the Bombers to take home the wooden spoon.

Heard a interview Knights did last night with radio Eagle (6pr) who were trying to get some cred back after they had pumped up Sumich tyres....

Knights said a good comment which maybe is the reason he scored the job and may be good for the bombers.

"Games have to be earned- Not given.."

Think in the end, Sheedy did`nt do the above....

Good luck to Knights.:thumbsu:

Heard a interview Knights did last night with radio Eagle (6pr) who were trying to get some cred back after they had pumped up Sumich tyres....

Knights said a good comment which maybe is the reason he scored the job and may be good for the bombers.

"Games have to be earned- Not given.."

Think in the end, Sheedy did`nt do the above....

Good luck to Knights.:thumbsu:

Thanks for that post, I didn't obviously hear that. I no little about his coaching in terms of style of play etc. all I know is is that he speaks well in front of the camera!

Wow...did not realise so many ppl sat in during the selection process....I think the process took too long and the expectation given as to landing william or thompson was unrealistic.

Having say all that i'm opened mind about knight as our new coach. Until we see him action let give him a fair go. To all supporters other than port, WC, syd and the Bris. non of ur current coach have delivery ur club a perimership yet r they the right coach?
Clubs will be judged on premierships, but you can be a good coach without winning a premiership.

Pretty small minded way of looking at it.

Is what your crystal ball says is it? The Donners are Goners.

The off-season will give you some time to pick out a new handbag!

I don't really care what you say about the Dons, we're a successful club and you need one of our boys to coach you!

Power by 23! Too physical, too experienced, too good! Cats will be turned into pussies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The off-season will give you some time to pick out a new handbag!

I don't really care what you say about the Dons, we're a successful club and you need one of our boys to coach you!

Power by 23! Too physical, too experienced, too good! Cats will be turned into pussies!

We'll see. He's one of us now anyway - rejected you lot.

Firstly, the loss of Hird will hurt, and hurt bad. There's no getting away from that.

However the fact is, we have started rebuilding. We have removed a lot of dead wood, and that process will continue.

We don't have a huge amount of depth, that I'll concede. Hence, the loss of Davey was one of the biggest blows we suffered all year, and it was no surprise we became less competitive as a result. He is crucial to our balance.

Over the last 3 years, we've drafted really well. We have some really really good kids coming through, and they've now had another year development. Players like Gumbleton and Jetta are going to have an impact next year, even it it's not their break-out year.

We have a much better balanced side now than for years. We have injected pace, and Knights has indicated - fairly - that we need to improve our skills.

We finally have a new voice leading the troops, and a new game-plan. Whilst that may take some getting used to, I expect it to be a real plus.

This year, we had some fantastic wins against opposition we weren't supposed to beat, and for the first time in nearly a decade it seems, we had success interstate.

We beat both reigning premiers, and we won close games. People think that means we aren't as good as we appeared; I disagree completely, I think it means we know how to win.

Our core senior players still have 2-5 years left, and whilst we do have a "Wallace Hole" in our middle age players, I expect that will be rectified naturally over the next 12-24 months.

The improvement in teams like Geelong and Collingwood provide a good road map of how we need to approach next season, and the more I hear about the reasons for appointing Knights, the more I like them. I've turned 180 degrees from being disappointed to being supportive and excited.

What most people don't understand (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone regarding other teams) is the natural development of existing players, and the scope for overall improvement that can bring. It's intangible in a way, and very easy to overlook if you don't have a vested interest in that particular team.

3 wins in '06, 10 wins in '07; finals next year. I'm pretty confident; although I'd add a caveat that it's dependant on us not getting cruelled by injuries.

Hird leaving is a massive blow - particularly in those close games you won.

Your lack of depth must be a big concern.

The young players you mentioned have played little or no senior footy, so you can't really say they'll be any good yet. Compare them to Pendlebury and Selwood - they're what I call promising youngsters!

I agree - the new voice/gameplan will help you immensely, but I think the gameplan will take more than 12 months to instill into the group, leaving 08 a little barren in terms of success.

What dead wood have you removed?

My understanding of natural progression of the playing group is as bad as anyone's. But it stands to reason that you need your progression to exceed that of some of the clubs that finished above you this year for you to progress up the ladder.

Call it the negative side of the coin - but I just can't see where Essendon's improvement will come from.

All the best though - I don't like seeing teams bottoming out and struggling.

Not only was Knights soft as a player, he was a squib as a player, gee whiz for him to dob in Libba after infamous fracas at the MCG a few years ago was one of the most disgraceful things I've ever heard, and he totally violated the player code of never dobbing in players at the Tribunal.

Also he never deserved that champion status as a player either, more a stalwart and a club servant, but he certainly didn't have the skills or career to be deemed as an champion of VFL/AFL football.

What about going forward, drafting, list management etc

He has stated in the paper today that he has a big focus on player development and skill level. That's a positive sign.

The last two drafts we have traded into earlier picks. We've been drafting kids. Some good ones too.

Again we are responding from media reports so I can't give a proper assesment of what he did or didn't acknowledge, but my suggestion is focusing on continuing development of kids in spite of perhaps next year. You do have some good kids, but who doesn't? Everyone around the bottome 8 is debuting and playing kids, some a bit more than others, but to be really competitive its a bit more complicated than that.

Again, to quote Knights, he will be focused on player development and improving skill level. He is focused on youth, but not just bringing new youth in, he wants to develop the youth we have.

Not only was Knights soft as a player, he was a squib as a player, gee whiz for him to dob in Libba after infamous fracas at the MCG a few years ago was one of the most disgraceful things I've ever heard, and he totally violated the player code of never dobbing in players at the Tribunal.

Also he never deserved that champion status as a player either, more a stalwart and a club servant, but he certainly didn't have the skills or career to be deemed as an champion of VFL/AFL football.

114 Brownlow Medal votes says you are talking through your arse.

Get your facts straight champ, Knights said at the tribunal he did not know what happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights to coach Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back