Knights to coach Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

A useless,meaningless post.

Try to come up with some reasons for your ramblings or you'll just sound like an idiot.

Okay, why should Hardwick have been penalisied or lost the job, for simply being honest and blunt (and say what most people think) and assess that the Bombers list is crap and not very good ...
He's been working at Port and Hawthorn the last few years and obviously can see those two clubs have much stronger lists then Essendon, and I clearly I believe that Essendon have yet to hit rock bottom, and Hardwick knew this, but clearly the Bombers board don't believe that.
Oh well the proof will be in the pudding from next year and beyond.

you are a clown mate of the highest order.....mind you wouldnt expect anything less from a blooos supporter...

He was actually a Cats supporter until about five years ago, but jumped off them onto the Blues, thinking they would have success before Geelong, but alas, as soon as he started supporting the Blues they went downhill. :D

Still, I'm guessing he'll be back on the Cats, if they win today. ;)

Okay, why should Hardwick have been penalisied or lost the job, for simply being honest and blunt (and say what most people think) and assess that the Bombers list is crap and not very good ...
He's been working at Port and Hawthorn the last few years and obviously can see those two clubs have much stronger lists then Essendon, and I clearly I believe that Essendon have yet to hit rock bottom, and Hardwick knew this, but clearly the Bombers board don't believe that.

Excuse us if we don't shake in our boots at your comments.

I'm sure the board is not going to place much value in someone that posts threads like this one here or here

At first I was on your line of thinking, that he shouldnt be penalised for giving a harsher appraisal of the list. However, If he thinks they are that bad then he is going to want to clean the list right out and do a heavy rebuild, and obviously if the club dont think this is necessary this is not the option they should take

some essendon fans here are idiots thinking that we are gonna make the 8, they probaply gonna make the bottom 2 and hardwick must be think what idiots are essendon picking knights cause he didnt say there list is crap which it is and we havent hit rock bottom and were gonna be a good team in like by 2010

agree

He was actually a Cats supporter until about five years ago, but jumped off them onto the Blues, thinking they would have success before Geelong, but alas, as soon as he started supporting the Blues they went downhill. :D

Still, I'm guessing he'll be back on the Cats, if they win today. ;)

righto so he has the "Sybil" complex....

What's the reason that I used to follow Geelong an hinderance for me expressing an opinion ?

I just think it's stupid they didn't give Hardwick the job because he honestly thought the list was crap (and he is right ???)

Some bomber fans are ovetly precious IMHO.

What's the reason that I used to follow Geelong an hinderance for me expressing an opinion ?

I just think it's stupid they didn't give Hardwick the job because he honestly thought the list was crap (and he is right ???)

Some bomber fans are ovetly precious IMHO.

Of course you are entitled to express your opinion.

Just don't expect many people to value it if you have changed clubs you support and continue to post threads like i mentioned above.

One team players are more respected than those that changed teams.

Where to for Delidio? Is he going to play in the middle or the forward line? For Richmond's sake I hope it's the middle along with Coughlan!!! Then you'd have yourself some sort of midfield!

Personally, no wraps for Tambling. Trade him while he's worth something IMO!

Hopefully we'll see Deledio playing a Joel Corey type role - tall midfielder I spose you'd call it. He needs to develop the Chris Judd/Rob Harvey/Matthew Knights ability to shrug a tackle and find space in traffic to really be effective though. Probably capable of being a 40-goal a year player too with his speedy leads, good hands and kicking accuracy.

Richie Tambling will be 21 next season. He's played only 50 games, including an injury-riddled first dozen or so. He is now about where Daniel Wells was two years ago - Wells seems to have stagnated, but I'll be hoping Tambling continues to improve. I love his attack on the ball, and the opposition player with the ball, and he was our leading tackler in 2007. I'm sure if he keeps doing the blue-colar stuff hopefully the flairy white-collar pay-off will ensue in the coming years when he's got some better footballers around him. He'd have looked great in that Cats team today.

Funny thing is, I've never seen a player suffer so dramatically in the media/public arena courtesy of the ability/potential of the bloke chosen immediately behind him in the draft. It's bizarre. If he'd been chosen at No 70 everyone would be patting him on the back as a terrific find. If you can for a moment imagine that Lance Franklin didn't exist, and then re-assess the quality and quantity of attention Tambling's development would be receiving. He'd be about where Farren Ray and Xavier Ellis are on the public/media radar.

The thought of trading him is farcical, and would be akin to you blokes wanting to get rid of Monfries, Davey or Dempsey. They're long term projects.

He was your captain. You are a disgrace to the yellow and black!

Well said mate.

Why waste your quality Ghost on Hawthorn imbeciles that know very little?

In fact why waste your talent responding to the halfwits on this site?

Quality, pure quality deserves better.

I find it bloody difficult to just stand by and watch such myths perpetuate, Bob. Let that one go too much further and the inevitable revisionism will have Knights the one who kinghit Liberatore behind play. That's the way it tends to work on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: The GREAT Bomber Blunder

So what kind of results do essendon fans expect in 2008/09/10??

2008 will be a year of improvement. Reckon we'll sneak 2 more wins than '07 to finish 9th.

2009 will be the year Essendon returns to the finals, as the kids now getting game time, will be physically and mentally ready for the challenge (I think that's the main reason why Knights got the job - the amount of work he has had directly with the Bomber kids puts him in a unique postion of knowing all of their capabilities.

2010 will see further improvement from '09 based on the above.

As it stands right now, here's how the 2010 side is likely to have in it:

Gumbleton, Watson, Monfries, Winderlich, Ramanauskas, McVeigh, Welsh, Dempsey, Hille, Slattery, Stanton, Laycock, Davey, Ryder, Neagle, Hislop, Nash, Reimers, Hocking, Chartres, Lovett-Murray, Houli + whoever is drafted from here on in.

If picking the line-up outt of that list:

B: Slattery, Chartres, Welsh
HB: Lovett-Murray, Ryder, Nash
C: Winderlich, Watson, Dempsey
HF: Reimers, Gumbleton, Hislop
F: Davey, Neagle, Monfries
R: Hille, Stanton, McVeigh
Int: Ramanauskas, Hocking, Houli + draftees.

Knights as an appointment looks even better when you look at that side!

I am a bit surprised about that appointment given that Dean Bailey ( now Dees coach) rang and enquired and was told he was too low-profile for Essendon to even consider. He then went on, applied and interviewed exceptionally well and is now Demons coach for next 3 years.

What is so "high-profile" about Knights???

I guess they were hoping Thompson would be freed up to apply for the job and when he either knocked them back or indicated he wanted to stay with the Cats ( and why not??) they had to make a decision before trade week.
I think Hardwick seemed a better fit but only time will tell.

Personally I am thrilled Bailey was knocked back as we got him and as Nathan Burke said after the appointment " I wish I had been coached by this guy".
Big wraps for an unproven senior coach.

Good luck

Re: The GREAT Bomber Blunder

2008 will be a year of improvement. Reckon we'll sneak 2 more wins than '07 to finish 9th.

2009 will be the year Essendon returns to the finals, as the kids now getting game time, will be physically and mentally ready for the challenge (I think that's the main reason why Knights got the job - the amount of work he has had directly with the Bomber kids puts him in a unique postion of knowing all of their capabilities.

2010 will see further improvement from '09 based on the above.

As it stands right now, here's how the 2010 side is likely to have in it:

Gumbleton, Watson, Monfries, Winderlich, Ramanauskas, McVeigh, Welsh, Dempsey, Hille, Slattery, Stanton, Laycock, Davey, Ryder, Neagle, Hislop, Nash, Reimers, Hocking, Chartres, Lovett-Murray, Houli + whoever is drafted from here on in.

If picking the line-up outt of that list:

B: Slattery, Chartres, Welsh
HB: Lovett-Murray, Ryder, Nash
C: Winderlich, Watson, Dempsey
HF: Reimers, Gumbleton, Hislop
F: Davey, Neagle, Monfries
R: Hille, Stanton, McVeigh
Int: Ramanauskas, Hocking, Houli + draftees.

Knights as an appointment looks even better when you look at that side!

A 2009 return to finals? What about the 'rebuilding' phase? That lineup you posted reeks from here to high-heaven.

Rate each player:

B: Slattery (slow hack), Chartres (who?, Welsh (OK)
HB: Lovett-Murray (Ok), Ryder (too loose for defence), Nash (slug)
C: Winderlich (ha ha dud), Watson (can't kick, too slow), Dempsey (hack)
HF: Reimers (who), Gumbleton (looks good) , Hislop (who)
F: Davey (one trick pony), Neagle (hack), Monfries (average)
R: Hille (dropped), Stanton (poor disposal), McVeigh (OK)
Int: Ramanauskas, Hocking, Houli + draftees

There is not one a grade player in that list. Of course some might come good but overall it looks very average.

Rate each player:

B: Slattery (slow hack), Chartres (who?, Welsh (OK)
HB: Lovett-Murray (Ok), Ryder (too loose for defence), Nash (slug)
C: Winderlich (ha ha dud), Watson (can't kick, too slow), Dempsey (hack)
HF: Reimers (who), Gumbleton (looks good) , Hislop (who)
F: Davey (one trick pony), Neagle (hack), Monfries (average)
R: Hille (dropped), Stanton (poor disposal), McVeigh (OK)
Int: Ramanauskas, Hocking, Houli + draftees

There is not one a grade player in that list. Of course some might come good but overall it looks very average.

That's because it IS very average, and good to see the Essendon supporters are still in denial about the mess Sheedy left the club in.

Their only hope is that things can change quickly if you make a couple of good picks, especially late ones. 3 years ago the pies list was ordinary but we got a priority pick, traded Tarrant and Hine got some real talent with late picks and via the rookie list.

Problem is they have changed the priority system and Essendon has no-one of Tarrants ilk and age (Lucas is too old) to trade. They are left with lots of youth a few ageing stars and nothing in the middle. In 2 to 3 years time they need to develop some of these kids and draft well or face a very difficult period.

I remember the Essendon brass arrogantly announced that they weren't just after the best available coach, but the BEST coach, period.
It seems like an amazing coincidence that the best coach in Australia was already on their books, plying his trade in Bendigo.

What a bunch of jokers! They sack Sheeds, get knocked back by Thompson and Williams, wipe the egg off their faces and hire their reserves coach.

The empire has well and truly crumbled. McMahon, Sheedy and Hird are all gone.

A second hand Peter Jackson suit > CEO Peter Jackson.

I saw Damian Hardwick at Chadstone shopping centre with his kids, on thursday at about noon was going to wish him good luck for the efc job, wish i would have could have broken the story b4 anyone, apparently it was finalised on wednesday night that knights was going to b coach

Not many career minded assistants will be keen to get on board with Nights.

Most people in the footy world see it as an odd appointment and it has a whiff of the Ken Judge about it so no-one will want to be tainted with the Knights brush.

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights to coach Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back