Knights to coach Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

You're dreaming, was only ever using us to bump up his paypacket at the cats. The penny finally dropped for the board and Peter Jackson got to appoint his favourite out of the leftovers.

Well when the cats lose tomorrow he may think of it as a missed opportunity to return to his rightful home!

Even so, I've embraced Knighter, I think what he has said is fairly positive. I dispute the fact that we have a list currently capable of making the final 8 with the departure of Hird, but, who knows!

Hird leaving is a massive blow - particularly in those close games you won.

Your lack of depth must be a big concern.

The young players you mentioned have played little or no senior footy, so you can't really say they'll be any good yet. Compare them to Pendlebury and Selwood - they're what I call promising youngsters!

I agree - the new voice/gameplan will help you immensely, but I think the gameplan will take more than 12 months to instill into the group, leaving 08 a little barren in terms of success.

What dead wood have you removed?

My understanding of natural progression of the playing group is as bad as anyone's. But it stands to reason that you need your progression to exceed that of some of the clubs that finished above you this year for you to progress up the ladder.

Call it the negative side of the coin - but I just can't see where Essendon's improvement will come from.

All the best though - I don't like seeing teams bottoming out and struggling.

Sydney are on the downslope, age and gameplans have caught up with them... Roos is a descent coach so won't be down for long but hard to see them with success in 08. West Coast have obviously lost Judd, that may or may not bring them back a peg to the rest of the competition. Can the Kangaroos perform as well as they did again? Time will tell. Hard to judge considering as we're 6 months from round 1!

Not only was Knights soft as a player, he was a squib as a player, gee whiz for him to dob in Libba after infamous fracas at the MCG a few years ago was one of the most disgraceful things I've ever heard, and he totally violated the player code of never dobbing in players at the Tribunal.

Look, I know nothing about Knights, but I am willing to give the guy a go.

But your statement above is a bit off the mark - Libba was a shitty bastard towards the end of his career, who made it his modus operandi by scratching opposing players' faces, drawing blood so they had to leave the field. I was in Brisbane when that happened, and the Lions were not that happy about Libba either.

Anyone who dobbed that bastard in should be thanked.

It just reminds me a little bit of Richmond (please note "a little bit", because your youngsters are better and you're list is in much better shape/ladder position to when Wallace took over). Wallace had some good senior guys there, talented youngsters and no middle tiered players. He went a bit each way in his rebuilding, half focusing on each, and when the senior guys stood down there were no leaders to step up.

I don't understand what this is about?

Firstly, we had very few, if any, talented youngsters when Wallace took the reins. Spud Frawley made a certainty of that with is mysterious and hopelessly misguided tendency to waste draft picks on washed-up never-have-beens from other clubs, under the delusion that he could somehow fashion them into Premiership players. The only supposedly talented youngsters we had on our list at that stage were Krakuoer, Rodan, Coughlan, Pettifer, Tuck, Newman and Schulz (the only one under the age of 22). And at that stage Pettifer, Tuck, Newman, Rodan and Schulz were all struggling for a senior game. Just about all playing for the same spot in the team. Bit of a sad and brief legacy, isn't it.

Secondly, when Wallace took over, Richmond's first seven picks in the 2004 National Draft were 17/18 year olds. Our first three picks (8, 24 and 40) in 2005 were kids, as were our only four picks in 2006. Only Patrick Bowden at Pick 56 in 2005 contravenes this almost-universal youth policy.

Thirdly, Richmond have delisted more players during Wallace's tenure than any other club. Any other club. All of these were from the pre-existing 2004 list.

And finally, surely you're not regarding the drafting of Kingsley (2007) and Knobel (2005)in the PSD and Graham (Pick 65 and our 8th Pick!) as the "other half" of a drafting policy?

Look, I know nothing about Knights, but I am willing to give the guy a go.

But your statement above is a bit off the mark - Libba was a shitty bastard towards the end of his career, who made it his modus operandi by scratching opposing players' faces, drawing blood so they had to leave the field. I was in Brisbane when that happened, and the Lions were not that happy about Libba either.

Anyone who dobbed that bastard in should be thanked.

Agreed, Libba become a Wallace-clone! Dirty Bastard!

Firstly, we had very few, if any, talented youngsters when Wallace took the reins. Spud Frawley made a certainty of that with is mysterious and hopelessly misguided tendency to waste draft picks on washed-up never-have-beens from other clubs, under the delusion that he could somehow fashion them into Premiership players. The only supposedly talented youngsters we had on our list at that stage were Krakuoer, Rodan, Coughlan, Pettifer, Tuck, Newman and Schulz (the only one under the age of 22). And at that stage Pettifer, Tuck, Newman, Rodan and Schulz were all struggling for a senior game. Just about all playing for the same spot in the team. Bit of a sad and brief legacy, isn't it.

Secondly, when Wallace took over, Richmond's first seven picks in the 2004 National Draft were 17/18 year olds. Our first three picks (8, 24 and 40) in 2005 were kids, as were our only four picks in 2006. Only Patrick Bowden at Pick 56 in 2005 contravenes this almost-universal youth policy.

Thirdly, Richmond have delisted more players during Wallace's tenure than any other club. Any other club. All of these were from the pre-existing 2004 list.

And finally, surely you're not regarding the drafting of Kingsley (2007) and Knobel (2005)in the PSD and Graham (Pick 65 and our 8th Pick!) as the "other half" of a drafting policy?

You ruined a great post mentioning Kingsley, Knobel and Graham... all never-have-beens!

You ruined a great post mentioning Kingsley, Knobel and Graham... all never-have-beens!

We can't run from the fact that we got 'em, Donners. All three came and went without causing any real damage, either on the field or off it. All brought onto the list after the best 70 or so kids had already been taken, so they effectively cost us nothing. They certainly aren't indicative of any inherent draft policy, merely filling a short-term hole that the selection of the best juniors couldn't immediately fill.

We can't run from the fact that we got 'em, Donners. All three came and went without causing any real damage, either on the field or off it. All brought onto the list after the best 70 or so kids had already been taken, so they effectively cost us nothing. They certainly aren't indicative of any inherent draft policy, merely filling a short-term hole that the selection of the best juniors couldn't immediately fill.

Good work, redeemed yourself!

Where to for Delidio? Is he going to play in the middle or the forward line? For Richmond's sake I hope it's the middle along with Coughlan!!! Then you'd have yourself some sort of midfield!

Personally, no wraps for Tambling. Trade him while he's worth something IMO!

Gee I had to laugh when Sports Tonight called him 'the former Richmond hard man'. If by 'hard' they meant he'd start pissing blood from the head if you gave him a nasty stare, then yes he was hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only was Knights soft as a player, he was a squib as a player, gee whiz for him to dob in Libba after infamous fracas at the MCG a few years ago was one of the most disgraceful things I've ever heard, and he totally violated the player code of never dobbing in players at the Tribunal.

Also he never deserved that champion status as a player either, more a stalwart and a club servant, but he certainly didn't have the skills or career to be deemed as an champion of VFL/AFL football.

you are a clown mate of the highest order.....mind you wouldnt expect anything less from a blooos supporter...

Also he never deserved that champion status as a player either, more a stalwart and a club servant, but he certainly didn't have the skills or career to be deemed as an champion of VFL/AFL football.

Scratching a guys face is really hardnut isn't it!

****head!

Why waste your quality Ghost on Hawthorn imbeciles that know very little?

In fact why waste your talent responding to the halfwits on this site?

Quality, pure quality deserves better.

I wonder how Knights feels that he only got the job because Hardwick was honest enough to say that the Bombers list is 'crap' ...
FFS, surely Hardwick's honest apprisial of the list is what the Bombers need, not some bloke who sprouts crap praising the virtues and potential of that aging, staggering list, that clearly has been loaded too top-heavy over the years, and lacks decent pace in the midfield ...

If it weren't for the rabble that is Richmond, I would say the Bombers would be near-certs for the spoon next year.
The whole process that Essendon undertook was a joke, right from Sheedy's untimely axing ...
Knights has always struck me as a bloke (going back to his playing days) with very little mental strengh, and I reckon he is going to be out of his depth as a senior coach.
Bombers made a big blunder not going for Hardwick, and the fact only because he said the essendon list was rubbish, he didn't get the job ??

I wonder how Knights feels that he only got the job because Hardwick was honest enough to say that the Bombers list is 'crap' ...
FFS, surely Hardwick's honest apprisial of the list is what the Bombers need, not some bloke who sprouts crap praising the virtues and potential of that aging, staggering list, that clearly has been loaded too top-heavy over the years, and lacks decent pace in the midfield ...

If it weren't for the rabble that is Richmond, I would say the Bombers would be near-certs for the spoon next year.
The whole process that Essendon undertook was a joke, right from Sheedy's untimely axing ...
Knights has always struck me as a bloke (going back to his playing days) with very little mental strengh, and I reckon he is going to be out of his depth as a senior coach.
Bombers made a big blunder not going for Hardwick, and the fact only because he said the essendon list was rubbish, he didn't get the job ??

lol, what would you know about the process and what was said in the meetings? :eek:

A useless,meaningless post.

Try to come up with some reasons for your ramblings or you'll just sound like an idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights to coach Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back