Kyabram DFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of GV Reserves players would be handy players in the Ky League no doubt but GV Footy has slipped in general and that flows into the Reserves. KD standard would be equal if not a little better than 15 to 20 years ago.
Agree with the first couple of observations Doc, but haven’t seen anything to suggest that the KDL is as good or better than 15-20years ago.

Agree with the first couple of observations Doc, but haven’t seen anything to suggest that the KDL is as good or better than 15-20years ago.
Not sure if today's teams would stack up against the early 2000 sides of Lancaster Stanhope Rushworth and Ardmona who all won flags, arguably only Tyson Sidebottom in the calibre of blokes like Excel Yze Mcqueen Rusty Meka and Hank to name a few, teams didnt get belted by 200 points back in the day.

Not sure if today's teams would stack up against the early 2000 sides of Lancaster Stanhope Rushworth and Ardmona who all won flags, arguably only Tyson Sidebottom in the calibre of blokes like Excel Yze Mcqueen Rusty Meka and Hank to name a few, teams didnt get belted by 200 points back in the day.

Oh yes we did!!!

Oh yes we did!!!
Haha, yes still a fair few floggings
Just not sure there is the 17-22 year olds of the caliber of Roberts, Lowe, Sidebottom that went on to captain GV sides, win GV flags, Club B&Fs etc , even 2000 we had Glen Hodgins in the ruck at 19 who won KY’s B&F the next year. That’s without worrying about Meka, Yze, Exell, Loveless, Mitchell kicking Tons

It’s always hard comparing eras in football. How would the ky side I played in in the mid late 90s go against the current champs? Or the lanky teams of 2000s against the current crop or predecessors?At the end of the day you are only as good as the players around you,help make you and you can only defeat the opposition you are facing!

The League doesn't have some of those stars but I think the League now bats a lot deeper in regards to teams being more competitive. Ardmona are obviously poor going by scorelines and Rush worth are unlikely to trouble too many but outside everyone looks reasonably competitive. I think back in those days outside your top 3 or 4 it was pretty smooth sailing.

The League doesn't have some of those stars but I think the League now bats a lot deeper in regards to teams being more competitive. Ardmona are obviously poor going by scorelines and Rush worth are unlikely to trouble too many but outside everyone looks reasonably competitive. I think back in those days outside your top 3 or 4 it was pretty smooth sailing.

Footy is different in which all the stars used to be power forwards and kick your tons. Now they are solely the midfielders that go head to head each week. Zones are set, and games aren’t as high scoring and the big forwards don’t get one on ones.

Footy is different in which all the stars used to be power forwards and kick your tons. Now they are solely the midfielders that go head to head each week. Zones are set, and games aren’t as high scoring and the big forwards don’t get one on ones.
Football may have evolved but stats will show that in KDFL since 2000 every year bar one a player has kicked the ton. Zones may be set but good players still manage to give good supply to their forwards. Its called a rolling zone now, it was simply an extra man or two back. Good players
would still manage to create space for others by drawing extra men,with footy smarts or players going more direct thus not giving opposition time to get back! Maybe the current crop dont have the skills? Haha
Im sure a guy like Ty sidebottom can still see a gap and kick to space for a forward to run onto!

Football may have evolved but stats will show that in KDFL since 2000 every year bar one a player has kicked the ton. Zones may be set but good players still manage to give good supply to their forwards. Its called a rolling zone now, it was simply an extra man or two back. Good players
would still manage to create space for others by drawing extra men,with footy smarts or players going more direct thus not giving opposition time to get back! Maybe the current crop dont have the skills? Haha
Im sure a guy like Ty sidebottom can still see a gap and kick to space for a forward to run onto!

Not disagreeing with you at all Mitch! I was stating the fact the guns are now the mids not the forwards. Especially with the fact if you’re a gun forward now, you get big coin else where in higher leagues.

Not disagreeing with you at all Mitch! I was stating the fact the guns are now the mids not the forwards. Especially with the fact if you’re a gun forward now, you get big coin else where in higher leagues.
The guns are always the mids. Sidebottom, Snelson, Lowe, Gray, Burnett, Carver to name a few from the past. I find it interesting personally that the so called new guns still get shown up by aging stars of yesteryear who would admit themselves that their best football is well and truely behind them. Form is temporary, class is permanent I guess! Yet people are trying to say the level is higher than the past?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guns are always the mids. Sidebottom, Snelson, Lowe, Gray, Burnett, Carver to name a few from the past. I find it interesting personally that the so called new guns still get shown up by aging stars of yesteryear who would admit themselves that their best football is well and truely behind them. Form is temporary, class is permanent I guess! Yet people are trying to say the level is higher than the past?
Tip this week
Stanny- 65
Gig- 28
Undera- 165
Dookie- 42
Murch- 68
Tally- 52
Lancy- 49

Tip this week
Stanny- 65
Gig- 28
Undera- 165
Dookie- 42
Murch- 68
Tally- 52
Lancy- 49
I will have a go as well Normo. Had to check the fixture. I will go Stanhope 8, Avenel 12, Undera 178, Dookie 39, Murch 41, Tally 65, Lanky 75. Have a good day at the Footy boys.

Also the gum who are flying with a big win over the more fancied Dookie ??? Shaping up to be a big one in 2 weeks. Who would have predicted that !!!
Predicted what? That Lancy v Merrigum will be a big one? Or that Lancaster and Merrigum would be unbeaten at this point. Neither will blow wind up Tallys' backside and for that matter Stanhopes.

Predicted what? That Lancy v Merrigum will be a big one? Or that Lancaster and Merrigum would be unbeaten at this point. Neither will blow wind up Tallys' backside and for that matter Stanhopes.
I’m saying that in 2 weeks time these 2 sides could be undefeated featuring in the match of the round. And I agree both sides well behind those two sides in ability. But also spending less than half their budget. !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back