Toast Kylie Watson-Wheeler, new President of the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

She'll be in their sights for a role with this supposed re-structure.
I'd be astonished if she would consider anything but the CEO role. She is exceptionally well-credentialed and wouldn't likely want to play second fiddle to someone she should have working for her rather than the other way around.

I suspect that KWW will be reluctant to stick her head above the parapet anytime soon.

Lest the boys who run the show come along and have another go at knocking it off.

The fact it is not going to Brendan Gale has ‘boys clubs’ written all over it. Brendan Gale is from Tasmania, played over 200 games of AFL, speaks very well in public, turned a sleeping giant awake, and is lawyer and an extremely competent CEO in club land. A club CEO role would in many ways be harder than the AFL CEO because you are competing against 17 other clubs, the AFL has no real competition, it is far and away the best ball sport in the world with an extremely loyal and passionate fan base, across gender, race and class differences. But don’t give it to Brendan Gale because Richard Goyda and the firm can’t control him.

I think you are completely overlooking some of the commercial pressures that exist for the AFL. I actually think the game will begin to struggle at a grassroots level into the future, just look at the participation rates of sports like soccer and basketball. The AFL isn't even simply competing with other professional sporting codes, but also the attention of youth in Australia. Kids these days are on TikTok, gaming and doing all the other stuff that didn't exist 10, 20 years ago. Things are shifting in the market and the question for the AFL is how will it capture the attention of the next generation of players, fans in a flooded market where there are entertainment opportunities all over the place?

I think you are completely overlooking some of the commercial pressures that exist for the AFL. I actually think the game will begin to struggle at a grassroots level into the future, just look at the participation rates of sports like soccer and basketball. The AFL isn't even simply competing with other professional sporting codes, but also the attention of youth in Australia. Kids these days are on TikTok, gaming and doing all the other stuff that didn't exist 10, 20 years ago. Things are shifting in the market and the question for the AFL is how will it capture the attention of the next generation of players, fans in a flooded market where there are entertainment opportunities all over the place?
Who are you saying should be CEO? Another of the private school clique? Our silent president who holds a board role not an executive one? I wonder who it is you think should be?

Not just favourite was actually appointed 12 months ago ...just had to fulfill her bulldogs obligation

Its the afls best kept secret everyone knew months ago

Sport Win GIF by Pit Viper

Who are you saying should be CEO? Another of the private school clique? Our silent president who holds a board role not an executive one? I wonder who it is you think should be?

I don't really care, nor do I have a view on who should be CEO. I'm more just making the point it isn't some easy caper where there aren't some real challenges to stare into. This is true of all organisations, and I don't think the AFL sits in some special places in the hearts and minds of people. As the door closes on one generation, there is no guarantee the AFL will have the same level of support into the future, we are already seeing this at local/grassroots football.

The plan is for her to move afl to purely streaming service like Disney plus

Fox will be gone so to free to air

Afl have wanted to move thus way for last decade but were incapable

Kww knows how to make this a reality which has given her the nod

Congratulations kww on your appointment

how's that going for you?

I'm not disappointed that KWW did not get the AFL CEO gig. Firstly, stability at our club at a time where we are undertaking a significant ground redevelopment. Secondly, if she did land the role, I imagine the shift towards streaming, viewer experiences and consumer initiatives would further dilute the sport element and turn it too far into an entertainment product. When I go to a game, I want to feel like there's some semblance of it being a football match for dedicated fanbases and not a Village Cinemas experience.

Hmmm

They selected a Xavier, Melbourne Uni law grad insider white guy who they are comfortable with and offends nobody …. What a surprise.

Playing for an ammo’s old boys s team obviously a pre requisite.

Wonder what criteria they used??
Yes that is all true but I am happy that a left hander has taken over the running of the AFL in this right handed dominated world.

Anyone care to post Robbo’s article on the ceo process where he refers to why Gale and KWW missed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back