Welcome to the Bulldogs Kelsey Rypstra

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW I don't think there's anything wrong with his instagram.

He's a young footy player that doesn't mind a selfie and sharing his adventures at the races, Gold Coast and Bali.

You would probably have to hold all that against 99% of the AFL to be honest.

There's obviously not room for many highlights in that short sequence but I liked his vision in a couple of those passes. And the ability to execute a well-weighted pass when on the burst. That's something that doesn't come easily.

We could sure use a bit of that connection with our forwards.

Somebody backing themselves and running hard at the defence could unsettle a few sides too.

Let's not get too starry eyed for the moment. He only has modest stats in just a handful of SANFL games so he has a fair way to go yet. VFL/AFL will be tougher. But I do like that we're risking an otherwise inconsequential MSD pick on a player who just might have a few points of difference to your average fringe type.

There's definitely potential to flop but there's also potential to leapfrog over those run-of-the-mill accumulators in the VFL. A good risk/reward ratio.

There's obviously not room for many highlights in that short sequence but I liked his vision in a couple of those passes. And the ability to execute a well-weighted pass when on the burst. That's something that doesn't come easily.

We could sure use a bit of that connection with our forwards.

Somebody backing themselves and running hard at the defence could unsettle a few sides too.

Let's not get too starry eyed for the moment. He only has modest stats in just a handful of SANFL games so he has a fair way to go yet. VFL/AFL will be tougher. But I do like that we're risking an otherwise inconsequential MSD pick on a player who just might have a few points of difference to your average fringe type.

There's definitely potential to flop but there's also potential to leapfrog over those run-of-the-mill accumulators in the VFL. A good risk/reward ratio.
His disposal efficiency is poor, long term prospect?

Reminded me a little of Boomer Harvey going off a few of those running plays.

Obviously we’d stoked if he shows anything resembling that promise at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of BF draft watcher comments from back in 2022:
Rypstra - Liked his game, really showed a desire at the contest, elite pressure and harassment of the ball carrier whilst getting it himself as well. Not much of him but he has that terrier like presence on the field.

Kelsey Rypstra 02/05/2004 - North Adelaide -172cm Forward - Zippy small forward who has a real energy about his game. Provides excellent pressure and defensive intent, but is also crafty around goals. He is tough, and has a low centre of gravity which makes him hard to tackle. Played more midfield at U 18's level but will be suited to a small forward role at AFL level. Unfortunately done his ACL just after mid year, which may impact his draft chances.

I stated before it wasn’t an ACL but a broken leg, turns out he’s had both. Sorry for the confusion. The footage is still this year though (post ACL) to whoever was wondering

I stated before it wasn’t an ACL but a broken leg, turns out he’s had both. Sorry for the confusion. The footage is still this year though (post ACL) to whoever was wondering
Amazing he can still run. Let alone run fast.

Kudos to the medicos.
And Kelsey himself of course for having the commitment and perseverance through two rehabs.
Good sign: he's desperate to make it.

Wow, this kid is pretty exciting. Some of his kicking inside 50 looks sensational. Really creative. Could be the perfect complement to our tall trio. Speed, pressure, crumbing - good pick Dogs

So glad we didn't go for another Footscray player because it was the easy & convenient option.
At worst, he’s a Footscray player now, so when he gets into the seniors we can say we picked a Footscray player….problem sol-ved boss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back