Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I'd lock him in for band 2 basically so that would be the starting point with any additional price the cost of getting him a year early and guaranteeing you get him (who knows how much a club like Hawks or North offer next year)

End of first round next year will already be pick 21 after the two north concession picks. Then it’ll be pushed back further with possibly both the Camporeale twins, Levi Ashcroft and potentially northern academy kids.

So any compo pick next year is also likely to be Pick 23-25’ish anyway.

Freo may as well take it this year with our Pick 18 which will be similar anyway.

Last edited:
Is Lachie Schultz now worth a top 10 pick or something?

There's a fair gap between a top 10 pick and your 2023 1st which could venture out past 25.

He's a very good footballer, and with a year left on his contract he's worth exactly what Fremantle suggest.

End of first round next year will already be pick 21 after the two north concession picks. Then it’ll be pushed back another couple with the Camporeale twins, Levi Ashcroft and potentially northern academy kids.

So any compo pick next year is also going to be Pick 23-25’ish anyway.

Freo may as well take it this year with our Pick 18 this year which will be similar anyway.
Fair point on the North picks, I actually just assumed they would be after band 2. Logic would say the North picks come first but I wonder if that's definitely how it is

There's a fair gap between a top 10 pick and your 2023 1st which could venture out past 25.

He's a very good footballer, and with a year left on his contract he's worth exactly what Fremantle suggest.
We’ll see what happens I guess.

By tomorrow, you’ll probably be saying he’s worth a top 5 pick because he nominated Collingwood.

We’ll see what happens I guess.

By tomorrow, you’ll probably be saying he’s worth a top 5 pick because he nominated Collingwood.

We’re already discussing taking him in the Carlton trade thread with our Pick 16. Don’t think that would do it either. They’d want St Kilda’s pick 12 at the very least.

End of first round next year will already be pick 21 after the two north concession picks. Then it’ll be pushed back another couple with the Camporeale twins, Levi Ashcroft and potentially northern academy kids.

So any compo pick next year is also going to be Pick 23-25’ish anyway.

Freo may as well take it this year with our Pick 18 this year which will be similar anyway.

Band 2 compo picks are before priority picks I think (as seen with Adelaide's this year).

We’re already discussing taking him in the Carlton trade thread with our Pick 16. Don’t think that would do it either. They’d want St Kilda’s pick 12 at the very least.
Let me tell you, you’re better off taking that pick to the draft.

He’s no slouch, but he ain’t worth pick 16.

If a soon to be 26 year old whose best season yielded 33 goals is worth pick 16, what is a soon to be 21 year old Jack Ginnivan who kicked 40 in his second season worth?

If a soon to be 26 year old whose best season yielded 33 goals is worth pick 16, what is a soon to be 21 year old Jack Ginnivan who kicked 40 in his second season worth?
I think you are going to be bemused at what this trade ends up being

Band 2 compo picks are before priority picks I think (as seen with Adelaide's this year).

Righteo. Thanks for that.

As Snuff said that seems a bit counter intuitive. And makes the North picks worth a fair bit less than I thought.

Still likely to be pushed back 3-4 spots with other bids though.

I think you are going to be bemused at what this trade ends up being
We shall see. I hope you guys actually get good returns for him because I’m in that boat that is sick of seeing Freo lose top 22 players.

What bemuses me though is everyone else now wants Freo to draw a line in the sand because your 4th best forward has nominated Collingwood. Not many sand lines being asked last year by these oppo supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shall see. I hope you guys actually get good returns for him because I’m in that boat that is sick of seeing Freo lose top 22 players.

What bemuses me though is everyone else now wants Freo to draw a line in the sand because your 5th best forward has nominated Collingwood. Not many sand lines being asked last year by these oppo supporters.
Probably 2nd best forward at this stage to be honest, all things considered.

Lucky for us (and every other club), we actually get to draw a hard line in the sand on contracted players every year. YEY!!!

Probably 2nd best forward at this stage to be honest, all things considered.

Lucky for us (and every other club), we actually get to draw a hard line in the sand on contracted players every year. YEY!!!
History tells me Graeme Wright and Collingwood generally pay what is true value. Pies and Freo also have a great record so I’ve got no doubt if a deal gets done, it’ll be fair on both parties.

If I could guarantee he would play every game next year, I would rather Freo keep him and lose him for nothing next year than trade him for pick 18 now. He’s a massively important player and the club will need time to work out how their forward half will work without him.

Sucks there aren’t really any good options for players to request from Collingwood.

Adams + Pick 18 to Sydney for Pick 11 (plus chaff picks if someone feels ripped off)
Pick 11 to Freo for Schultz.

(FWIW I think Pick 18 gets it done, but there's options to upgrade it)

Also if Ginnivan is going, and I'd rather him not be, he must be worth something.

Not at any cost. Next year’s first is too high a price to pay. I’d argue this year’s probably is too, Schultz’s best performances only ever seem to come in games where he can punch down.

What do you mean by, “only seems to come in games where he can punch down” ?.

I’m unaware of this expression.

Adams + Pick 18 to Sydney for Pick 11 (plus chaff picks if someone feels ripped off)
Pick 11 to Freo for Schultz.

(FWIW I think Pick 18 gets it done, but there's options to upgrade it)

Also if Ginnivan is going, and I'd rather him not be, he must be worth something.
A deal id prefer if im Collingwood then giving up next years 1st rounder which is what Freo would want.

I think I’m this case Schultz is worth more in Colingwoods eyes. More to do with attitude than goals alone I would imagine.

Freo are getting their just rewards, when they dropped Schultz to the rookie list, the next season there were 13 non rookie players who had played less games than him. That would piss you off.

I have no issue with him going to Collingwood.

It's gonna be done. He could of chosen 9 other Vic clubs
In these instances, what do we know if any other club wants him and what his specific conditions may be.

It could’ve been just Collingwood who showed the most appropriate interest, so he nominated them.

Not every situation or trade request has to be sinister with behind the scenes stories we don’t know about.

I think I’m this case Schultz is worth more in Colingwoods eyes. More to do with attitude than goals alone I would imagine.

Freo are getting their just rewards, when they dropped Schultz to the rookie list, the next season there were 13 non rookie players who had played less games than him. That would piss you off.
It’s actually a strange target for Collingwood as the one area of the field we aren’t short on is smaller forwards.

It’s gonna be one of those situations where the deal has to be right for both clubs. Pies won’t be paying overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back