Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

You “supporters” are actually wishing the worst for us. This is what’s most sickening!
let it go GIF

100%, me too. You just don’t give away firsts for average players. You do it for stars. We’d just won a flag and had Ginnivan there and Harrison and Richards capable of playing that small forward role. He wasn’t a need. He was a “nice to have.”
Ginni lol. His grand final performance is one to savour.

Hawks very impressed by his latest finals heroics.

Crack another beer dickhead

Lachie was solid this year, based on his history about where reasonable expectations would have him. Maybe we can hope/expect a slight improvement next year, particularly with some straight kicking.
This is the best lens to judge him through. Questions over the trade are relevant but the lens we should use on list management at the club, not Schultz.
The trade wasn't an outlier, rather typical of the club. If we get a sniff of a gf chance we always go for a short term win, we don't seem to value high draft picks & we don't seem to value young KPF prospects.
The issue I have is with the sniff. We deserved 2023 but realistically there was only a cigarette paper between us & a heap of other teams. We are already facing a challenging future with our list profile, I don't think short term gain was worth upping that challenge.
A furphy is the idea of keeping Ginni. Misinterpretation of Fly, no way is he going to keep that sort of personality in his team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah true. Who would you take with freos first pick this year though. High picks don't guarantee anything really.

Get with it manic. It's bigfooty logic - the safe bet is an untried kid - the risky option is a senior player who'd get a game at any team in the comp.

Not saying it was a good trade - but we sure as hell didn't use that pick in a risky way - taking it to the draft is the high risk/high reward option - Schultz was as safe as a house - but not as likely to give th high reward.

We loaded up with a kitchen sink strategy to win in 2024 and possibly 2025 and part of that was picking schulz ahead of a kid.....with the realisation that we are going to fall into a hole in 2026. Some will say that we'll be able to replicate the geelong method of maintaining a high ladder position but i'm guessing that we'll fall...and a top ten pick in 2024 isnt going to stop that. Of course, that view ignores the future impact of the daicos bros in the next 5 years and their presence makes me hopeful that we will contend post 2025...so i'm feeling uncertain

We loaded up with a kitchen sink strategy to win in 2024 and possibly 2025 and part of that was picking schulz ahead of a kid.....with the realisation that we are going to fall into a hole in 2026. Some will say that we'll be able to replicate the geelong method of maintaining a high ladder position but i'm guessing that we'll fall...and a top ten pick in 2024 isnt going to stop that. Of course, that view ignores the future impact of the daicos bros in the next 5 years and their presence makes me hopeful that we will contend post 2025...so i'm feeling uncertain
We should be able to put a good team on the park for the next few years.

Daicos, Daicos, Bruzzy, Moore JDG, IQ, Cameron, Hill, McCreery, Schultz, McStay plus a few of the 30+ guys should still all be in their good years for a while after next year. Obviously we'll need to add to that but it's a pretty good base with a very strong top end that is the hardest part to find - need a few of the kids on the list to come through and add a couple of recruits.

We should be able to put a good team on the park for the next few years.

Daicos, Daicos, Bruzzy, Moore JDG, IQ, Cameron, Hill, McCreery, Schultz, McStay plus a few of the 30+ guys should still all be in their good years for a while after next year. Obviously we'll need to add to that but it's a pretty good base with a very strong top end that is the hardest part to find - need a few of the kids on the list to come through and add a couple of recruits.

I saw a list of the four players geelong left out of their side....hawkins was one...guthrie....i cant remember the others. Most teams can name a decent 10 players. Ours are better than most...but you're only as good as the weakest link. Port has these issues too.

Just saying ... for a friend ... this year we had a good team & didn't make finals. Pretty much might as well come last. I don't see us falling off a cliff over the next couple of years but our current list likely wont be good enough & will need more than our usual role player trade.

I saw a list of the four players geelong left out of their side....hawkins was one...guthrie....i cant remember the others.
So you saw the list and decided to post about it.
Posted less than 20 words and forgot the list - discuss 😂

I saw a list of the four players geelong left out of their side....hawkins was one...guthrie....i cant remember the others. Most teams can name a decent 10 players. Ours are better than most...but you're only as good as the weakest link. Port has these issues too.
People are underestimating the amount of turnover that occurs in both lists and team.

Since the 2022 prelim - we've added 19 player to our list. 4 of whom are now very clear best 22 with a couple of experienced depth players and about half a dozen kids who could still go eithee way. We'll add similar numbers before 2026. We don't need much to go right to replace the impending retirements comfortably. A couple of the kids already in place kick on. A couple of ready to go recruits come in.

It's when the group of Moore, Bruzzy and JDG come to an end that we'll be in trouble if we haven't added to the top shelf in the meantime - they're the hard ones to find.

People are underestimating the amount of turnover that occurs in both lists and team.

Since the 2022 prelim - we've added 19 player to our list. 4 of whom are now very clear best 22 with a couple of experienced depth players and about half a dozen kids who could still go eithee way. We'll add similar numbers before 2026. We don't need much to go right to replace the impending retirements comfortably. A couple of the kids already in place kick on. A couple of ready to go recruits come in.

It's when the group of Moore, Bruzzy and JDG come to an end that we'll be in trouble if we haven't added to the top shelf in the meantime - they're the hard ones to find.

i like your optimism...i think the premiership relied a lot on pendles leadership. In typical BF response mode, I'm not meaning that we are getting the wooden spoon without him, but I think he was a significant advantage in the running of the midfield, the education of the daici, the management of de goey...etc...

I think howe is probably the leader of the backline and moore is leader of the things off-field.

The other issue is off field where the dream team is crumbling a bit and i'm not sure how the replacements will go.

I dont think we got the long term winning culture that hawthorn has. We're going to start stabbing each other in the backs soon and we'll look back at these couple of years.

And who are the best 4 since the prelim?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back