Traded Lachie Weller [traded to Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't be said enough times - it doesn't get through to supporters of the AFL project teams though.
Haha nice try, but it mean F*** all how many club might chase him next year, he will nominate the Suns and the player always gets to his destination of choice. Freo lose all leverage if he's out of contract

We've got to send a message after losing Barlow, De Boer, Muzungu to the expansion teams.

No More!

"GOLD COAST REALLY KEEN AND THEY'VE GIVEN ME ASSURANCES THEY'LL GET THE DEAL DONE"

Leverage - Freo

I laughed . .. I could almost hear Clayton saying 'ummmm who's the genius who signed off on Fabio going on Trade Radio!'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pick #2 might be overs for Weller but when you have a kid who looks to be a 200 gamer, request a trade to your club (even though the obvious short term pain) its a safer option than taking Rayner/Dow/LDU and in 2 years time asking to leave because of whatever reason! Yes a chance this pick #2 becomes a better player than Weller, but no guarantee he plays with the gold coast for 10 years as Weller is going to do!

10 year service, 200+ games
vs
Potentially better player but only 2-4 year service = 50-70 games.

pick #2 might be overs for Weller but when you have a kid who looks to be a 200 gamer, request a trade to your club (even though the obvious short term pain) its a safer option than taking Rayner/Dow/LDU and in 2 years time asking to leave because of whatever reason! Yes a chance this pick #2 becomes a better player than Weller, but no guarantee he plays with the gold coast for 10 years as Weller is going to do!

vs

Your post makes sense but GC look like they are wanting to play games instead.

I'm of the view there will be no trade this year. Personally, it gives us a year to change his mind and yes he's definitely looking like a 200 gamer at this stage

vs

this would be the common sense approach but unfortunately GC seem to have avoided common sense from Day 1.

Your post makes sense but GC look like they are wanting to play games instead.

I'm of the view there will be no trade this year. Personally, it gives us a year to change his mind and yes he's definitely looking like a 200 gamer at this stage

Gold Coast cant afford not to get the deal done and risk in 12 months time Weller possibly changing his mind or destination.

Gold Coast cant afford not to get the deal done and risk in 12 months time Weller possibly changing his mind or destination.

Well, there is some truth to that but I rather suspect they are expecting AFL House to step in and swing the deal for them. Seems bizarre they rate a player at 800k per year but offer unrealistic trades. Then they use the player as a propaganda piece.

They aren't serious and thats fine. I'd rather keep him as even pick 2 is much more of a lottery than a known quantity. I saw a list recently that only 6 Freo first rounders have played more than 100 games. There is your lottery right there.

I'd be happy for the trade to fail but I wouldn't want to Weller trying to explain to the playing group what his comments were for. He'd have some making up to do over the preseason

Yeah, they can. Listening to the interviews and his reasoning, it seems highly unlikely that his mind will be changed. If Freo want pick 2, I'd wait the year and take the minimal risk that he'll stay, or that it lets Brisbane in somehow.

Pick 2, you don't just want a good player - you want a genuine shot at a club-leading star.

vs

All the talk of pick 2 needs to be in the context of pick swaps.

There's a big difference between starting in the draft at pick 20 something and starting at pick 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Lachie Weller [traded to Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back