Lachie Whitfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm considering we have a shrinking cap and list size.
Oh and the Majority of who we wanted to re-sign have.
Im yet to see anything that suggests a mass exodus that the media hack barrett and some on here keep going on about.
Its not a mass exodus, but when you have so many first round picks that other clubs would kill for, youre not going to be able to outbid in most cases. Especially when you have players getting more than they should be.

Yeah, you didn't want to keep Trealor, Adams and Boyd.

Taylor Adams for Heath Shaw - GWS win
Boyd for Griffen, pick 6 and Griffen's wage paid by he dogs - well at worst a draw
Treloar for two first rounders and a pick swap was the only trade NOT involving a player wanting to GO TO GSW - prob a loss

I thought you'd be more aware of the list strategy tbh, it involved picking as many first round talent as possible and then trading them out (as is required under list management rules and salary cap restrictions) for equally high draft picks in the next draft.

Of the above, Adams was surplus, Boyd a prick openly disrespected by his team mates, again, Treloar the only real loss.
FWIW Treloar wanted to stay at the club, Gubby decided his staying was less important than others and re-signed them first, what was left wasn't enough to satisfy Treloar (and fair enough too given what pies offered) and so he left, actioning the 2nd paragraph above in the process.

The majority of players traded out of the giants have been moved on to create room for new recruits and to ensure players starved of opportunity get moved on rather than stay and build a growing pool of discontent.

The loss of the Lamberts, SOS & Gubby combined within a few months is a lot more worrying than what's happening with our actual list, which is in pretty decent shape.

Throw enough darts and you're bound to hit the board once.

Point Dexter got one right last year so he's smearing again.

Actually, Pap Smear is an appropriate name for that cretin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you'd be more aware of the list strategy tbh, it involved picking as many first round talent as possible and then trading them out (as is required under list management rules and salary cap restrictions) for equally high draft picks in the next draft.

Other losses you didn't mention are Josh Bruce and Anthony Miles for peanuts/delistings.

Other losses you didn't mention are Josh Bruce and Anthony Miles for peanuts/delistings.
Bruce wasn't going to be a huge trade as his exposed form didn't warrant a trade better than what was offered. St kilda did very well identifying his potential.

Miles was a head scratcher as he was performing very well in the NEAFL but couldn't displace ward, treloar, Shiel and Greene as inside mids. Don't know why we just delisted him but good thing choco convinced the Tigers to take a punt on him.

Bruce, Miles, Hombsch and Tyson are the only four who GWS didn't want/were happy to move on for a trade. The rest they wanted to keep, 100%.

You don't lose gun mids like Treloar and the #1 pick from 12 months earlier by design.

Bruce, Miles, Hombsch and Tyson are the only four who GWS didn't want/were happy to move on for a trade. The rest they wanted to keep, 100%.

You don't lose gun mids like Treloar and the #1 pick from 12 months earlier by design.

Really?
Lamb
Whiley
Phillips
Bruce
Darley
Edwards
Jaksch
O'Rourke
Hampton
Townsend
Frost
Plus a few I've forgotten
Nearly all left on the back of club brokered deal to pursue opportunity.
The AFL requires teams to reduce their list at the end of the year, it's the rules, we may have liked to keep them all, but a list size of 70 odd would be the outcome.

Not entirely sure what this has to do with Lachie, he will re-sign, as will Ward, the majority of player managers are advising their clients to wait on the new TPP cap to be announced.

in my view Whitfield isn't the type of player you can build a midfield around. He's not in the Wines, Cripps, Bontempelli, Treloar etc realm.

If i'm a club short of midfield options I'd say I'd be willing to trade a mid first rounder for.

No doubt he will be at very minimum a best 22 player in most AFL sides but he's not worth an overly large contract or financial sum.

Really?
Lamb
Whiley
Phillips
Bruce
Darley
Edwards
Jaksch
O'Rourke
Hampton
Townsend
Frost
Plus a few I've forgotten
Nearly all left on the back of club brokered deal to pursue opportunity.
The AFL requires teams to reduce their list at the end of the year, it's the rules, we may have liked to keep them all, but a list size of 70 odd would be the outcome.

Not entirely sure what this has to do with Lachie, he will re-sign, as will Ward, the majority of player managers are advising their clients to wait on the new TPP cap to be announced.
I'm talking about decent players.

Everyone who left GWS didn't want to keep or didn't rate enough /GWS fans

Nah, they really wanted to keep Treloar. GWS wanted to keep Adams too. Definitely want to keep McCarthy but that ship is starting to look like it's sailed. They had offers to Bruce and O'Rourke but Bruce's was well under what he got elsewhere (GWS remembered his years prior to his last few months of resurgence and hedged their bets that he'd go back to not having any focus. St Kilda gambled that he'd maintain his focus and won.) and O'Rourke just wanted out. They probably would have rather kept Boyd but he had attitude issues up there, so not too upset at what they got back.

So yeah, they've lost a handful they wanted to keep but probably only one irreplaceable (Treloar) and a couple of shown quality. Of course when people like pushing the narrative of players just keep wanting out, they include all the various offloads and even delistings like Hombsch, Miles, Tyson, Lamb, Whiley, Phillips, Darley, Edwards, Aylett, Jaksch, Hampton and Townsend.

We keep hearing about "attitude issues" with Boyd despite it seeming completely outside his character. Unless slight homesickness coupled with a godfather offer from a club whose captain wanted out and would only deal with GWS is an attitude issue

We keep hearing about "attitude issues" with Boyd despite it seeming completely outside his character. Unless slight homesickness coupled with a godfather offer from a club whose captain wanted out and would only deal with GWS is an attitude issue

How is his character exactly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Whitfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back