Player Watch Lachlan Sholl - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I still feel he is a nice trade piece
Genuine wingers that can work their arse off forward and back, kick dual sided and hit the scoreboard frequently are not that common and very valuable in the modern game. Also far stronger in the contest this year too, which had been a weakness.

Genuine wingers that can work their arse off forward and back, kick dual sided and hit the scoreboard frequently are not that common and very valuable in the modern game. Also far stronger in the contest this year too, which had been a weakness.
Yep. I've been critical of him in the past (and probably still have concerns on his physicality under finals pressure), but he has had a ripping season.

Now let's make finals in the next 2 years so he can allay my fears.

Fair play to Sholl he’s at least earned a deal with some improvements this year especially over the last 10 weeks, still a fair bit of down hill skiing obviously attached to some of his play but at least unlike most of the outside players that have been attached to this football club he least he isn’t allergic to finding the football.

Suppose the major issue will come next year when he’s not in a contract year and hopefully doesn’t fall into his bad habits again.

I had absolutely zero expectations for Sholl this year. I'd already put a line through his name. He's impressed me with his improvement, his work rate, and he has even put his body on the line a number of times in defiance of his reputation as being a soft player.

Two years feels right to me. Wing is not a difficult position to replace in general, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets surpassed at some stage. But for now he has earned that spot and deserves the extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had absolutely zero expectations for Sholl this year. I'd already put a line through his name. He's impressed me with his improvement, his work rate, and he has even put his body on the line a number of times in defiance of his reputation as being a soft player.

Two years feels right to me. Wing is not a difficult position to replace in general, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets surpassed at some stage. But for now he has earned that spot and deserves the extension.

How come it’s taken us three years to find someone to replace Seedsman?

Our wing stocks are pretty bad. Sholl has easily sewn up that spot as an outside user and we can't really afford to lose him.

We've already shown that players like Jones, McHenry, Keays, Murphy, Crouch (wtf was that?) are woeful as outside players. Either they can't find the ball or can't use it well or some combination of both.

We've desperately needed that hard running, ball finding, outside user with decent skills. For now, Sholl is filling that role well.

His issue in the past was completely falling out of the game in the second half of the year, which so far hasn't happened. And his softness/inability to tackle which has improved slightly and/or we've been able to cover it better as a team.

If he can keep up his form he definitely has a spot in the side

Ridiculous.

Should we also trade Soligo, Nankervis and Thilthorpe while their value is high?

No, of course that. Because the idea is when your young players do well you keep hold of them and build around them.
I just don't have that much confidence in Sholl in finals.

Maybe i'm wrong. I hope he proves me otherwise in the next 2 years

Who would you rather have on the wings:

Nank
Curtin
Cook
Sholl
Smith
Jones
Hinge
Michalanney

Ridiculous.

Should we also trade Soligo, Nankervis and Thilthorpe while their value is high?

No, of course that. Because the idea is when your young players do well you keep hold of them and build around them.
I think the case with Sholl is that there are question marks of how he would stand up in a high pressure final. You should always be measuring players on that ability so players like Soligo and Nank you desperately want to keep.

If a player has value and they are likely no good in finals, should you cash in while you can?

He's played some really good footy this year, but I'd be open to a trade.

I think the case with Sholl is that there are question marks of how he would stand up in a high pressure final. You should always be measuring players on that ability so players like Soligo and Nank you desperately want to keep.

If a player has value and they are likely no good in finals, should you cash in while you can?

I think it's impossible to say how our squad would go in finals or finals type games because Nicks rarely puts us in those positions

Fair play to Sholl he’s at least earned a deal with some improvements this year especially over the last 10 weeks, still a fair bit of down hill skiing obviously attached to some of his play but at least unlike most of the outside players that have been attached to this football club he least he isn’t allergic to finding the football.

Suppose the major issue will come next year when he’s not in a contract year and hopefully doesn’t fall into his bad habits again.
Downhill skier. Every club has them. Every club needs them.

Good by foot on both sides, seems to have improved his game this year. Ran back several times Saturday night in defence to assist and then pops up a minute later in the forward line (how good was his half volley in the goal square)

Perhaps he now knows what it takes to play the position / role?

Not one for the trade table IMHO.

I wouldn't say he SHOULD be on the trade table.

But if everyone is screaming for another first round draft pick this year....

you need to trade something out..... and McHenry, Gollant, Murphy, Schoenberg is not going to get it done.

O'Brien, Laird and crouch might come close to it along with Sholl.

Getting rid of a young player who is performing well in a position we have no depth in based on a hunch that they won’t stand up in finals would be pretty silly. Obviously he’s had his issues in the contest but I think he’s developing that area of his game. Nick Daicos* has also had his moments where you’d question his toughness, yet he more than stood up in the finals.

*I’m not for a second suggesting Sholl is anywhere near that level, just using him as an example.

IMO, being willing to run your ass into the ground is equally important in finals as putting your body on the line in the contest. There are plenty of players who will put their head in a hole but either aren’t willing or unable to run hard both ways when they’re knackered. But because the latter is much less noticeable we tend not to talk about it as much.

you need to trade something out..... and McHenry, Gollant, Murphy, Schoenberg is not going to get it done.

That’s not how AFL trading works. You don’t just package up a bunch of players worth 2nd/3rd/4th round picks and expect a first rounder. Also good luck convincing all of those contracted players to leave.

You do realise how hard it's going to trade up into the top 10 or so this year with the even spread of talent, even the 2nd half of the the 1st round. Only way to get there from what I can see clubs would need to put a very decent proven player on the table. It's obvious Sholl and Cook are now off the table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachlan Sholl - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back