Player Watch Lachlan Sholl - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s not how AFL trading works. You don’t just package up a bunch of players worth 2nd/3rd/4th round picks and expect a first rounder. Also good luck convincing all of those contracted players to leave.
Crouch would be fairly hard.

Laird.... who knows.... if we tell him he is only playing in the backline and he gets upset....

O'Brien is on the outer... maybe he would want to move on

these are all BIG ifs though...

Fair play to Sholly - one of my perennial whipping boys historically (as wingers tend to be at the crows, in hindsight, poor old Mackay), but even through the negative tinted glasses I have come around on him. I think as a collective there needs to be better recognition for genuine wingmen and what they provide - or maybe we justifiably haven't had a good one for years other than a couple of years from Seedo.

Still get frustrated by the dump kicks he pulls around his body up the line when under pressure (once you start to look for these - you'll notice 5+ a game) that universally result in intercepts. However - his running power is immense and he looked like he was everywhere last weekend, patrolling the wing and matching it with Wilson in this regard (who has taken some teams apart with his pace/running ability). Seems to have gained just a touch more strength/desire for the contest, and took some impressive intercepting defensive marks running back with it last weekend too.

Full credit to him and while I doubt he'll ever be an A grader, I'd like to think he can remain an important role player in the future. Don't think what we would get out of a trade would be worth our while.

You do realise how hard it's going to trade up into the top 10 or so this year with the even spread of talent, even the 2nd half of the the 1st round. Only way to get there from what I can see clubs would need to put a very decent proven player on the table. It's obvious Sholl and Cook are now off the table.
yeah I know about that.

This was my thinking when Sholl was not signed on and hoping due to good form he has trade value.

this now changes now it has been announced.

I assume the only way we can get another 1st rounder would be maybe Keane trade.

Yeah he’s put together a quality year, wouldn’t be surprised if he’s top 5 in the B&F right now. Reckon he’s averaging 22 or 23 touches a game, if you don’t count his sub games

Keep this form up and he’s best 22 every day of the week

Interesting to hear some posters worry about Sholl under finals pressure but no mention of Cook who tends to go missing for long periods of time during a game and possession count very low
indeed it is!
Cook is not far from the Sholl whipping boy status if he doesn't produce next year with consistent game time.

Though I haven't seen him be shoved off the ball so easily as Sholl over the years.

Sholl has played nearly 60 games and little older then cookie who had played 20 odd at 21yrs old.

Sholl has a larger sample size to judge i guess.

Our wing stocks are pretty bad. Sholl has easily sewn up that spot as an outside user and we can't really afford to lose him.

We've already shown that players like Jones, McHenry, Keays, Murphy, Crouch (wtf was that?) are woeful as outside players. Either they can't find the ball or can't use it well or some combination of both.

We've desperately needed that hard running, ball finding, outside user with decent skills. For now, Sholl is filling that role well.

His issue in the past was completely falling out of the game in the second half of the year, which so far hasn't happened. And his softness/inability to tackle which has improved slightly and/or we've been able to cover it better as a team.

If he can keep up his form he definitely has a spot in the side

One thing that stands out for me is that he can use both feet to a decent standard. There's nothing worse than a Keays, McHenry, Murphy type getting the ball free on the outside but being on their wrong side which results in stopping and trying to get on their correct side which allows the defenders to get back, kicking an umarkable checkside, or kicking on their non preferred and buggering it up.

I had him delisted at the start of the year but can't argue he's earned an extension. Happy with 2 years for him and us.

Interesting to hear some posters worry about Sholl under finals pressure but no mention of Cook who tends to go missing for long periods of time during a game and possession count very low
Well, it's a Sholl specific thread. The concern is about his size under finals intensity which is specific to him. And plenty of people over in the Cook thread are mentioning he needs to find more of the ball.

Kudos to him. I keep expecting him to drop away but he's remained pretty consistent all year. Adding goalkicking to his game has upped his worth to the side. That left foot goal on the weekend was classy AF.

I just don't have that much confidence in Sholl in finals.

Maybe i'm wrong. I hope he proves me otherwise in the next 2 years

Who would you rather have on the wings:

Nank
Curtin
Cook
Sholl
Smith
Jones
Hinge
Michalanney
Smith is finished, Jones is performing much worse than Sholl, Hinge and Max are defenders, Curtin who knows where he'll play.. So that leaves 3 and 2 wing positions. Easy retain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately we have not been able to judge most of our teams in finals.

Crazy to pre-judge players before they are even given a go.

I just don't have that much confidence in Sholl in finals.

Maybe i'm wrong. I hope he proves me otherwise in the next 2 years

Who would you rather have on the wings:

Nank
Curtin
Cook
Sholl
Smith
Jones
Hinge
Michalanney

Nank - reads the play really well and is a good interceptor, better suited and more valuable as a half back.

Curtin - we have no idea what his best position is, however his draft profile doesn’t indicate that wing is the best spot for him long term.

Cook - has nowhere near the running capacity or ability to find the ball that Sholl does. Has also been tried on the wing and been nowhere near as successful. Sholl as a wing hands down.

Smith - you put him in as a joke right?

Jones - had an extended stint and doesn’t find the footy, run as well or use it anywhere near what Sholl does.

Hinge - maybe

Michalanney - is an elite one on one defender, why would we take him out of there?

I’m not sure you’ve really been paying attention if you think any of those guys would have close to the output as a wing as Sholl is having.

Oh man this is so boring
Contributions Create GIF

Kudos to him. I keep expecting him to drop away but he's remained pretty consistent all year. Adding goalkicking to his game has upped his worth to the side. That left foot goal on the weekend was classy AF.
2nd goal he’s kicked on his left from that pocket this year. The clean pickup at pace in slippery conditions for his 2nd goal was pure class too.

Fantastic season. Deserves the extension. Enjoy watching him run up and down the wing and he's toughened up considerably this year. Still has a weak body but he doesn't pull out of contests anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachlan Sholl - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back