Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost like he was hoping to be suspended. Pretty sure he isn't enjoying life at StKilda/Victoria and is keen to get home.
Heard rumours he never wanted to leave WA and that he was keen to get home, but most recent reports suggested he might sign an extension. Either way, this isn't the kind of action that would endear you to a West Coast or Fremantle.

A professional footy career is such a precious thing - a lot of hard work and sacrifice goes into it, fair share of luck too. The rewards can be amazing.

Why would you jeopardise it with such stupidity.
Because some people are inherently stupid. We are not all of the same level, but stupid people don’t realise it, and some smarter people refuse to accept it.

Is there a list if slurs that the players are taught aren't acceptable to say? I hear "Jesus Christ" in commentary and on the field regularly, to me that is a slur and should be equally penalised. Does weight related slurs count as well, comments about family?

If you think a player yelling out 'Jesus Christ' when they don't get a free is on the same level as 'f*****' towards a player then you're not really intending to enter a genuine discussion.

Is there a list if slurs that the players are taught aren't acceptable to say? I hear "Jesus Christ" in commentary and on the field regularly, to me that is a slur and should be equally penalised. Does weight related slurs count as well, comments about family?

Someones race, sexuality or religion are off limits in terms of sledges.

Given the apparently egregious nature of the offence, it's clear that the AFL has either called off their previously announced policy of escalating penalties for homophobic abusive language, or alternatively that Collard is receiving a significant discount owing to either his age and inexperience, or other mitigating factors.

Last edited:
Given the apparently egregious nature of the offence, it's clear that the AFL has either called off their previously announced policy of escalating penalties for homophobic abusive language, or alternatively that Collard is receiving a significant discount owing to either his age and inexperience, or other mitigating factors.

How so, didn’t he get double what Finlayson got ?.

Next offender should get 12 weeks I guess.

How so, didn’t he get double what Finlayson got ?.

Next offender should get 12 weeks I guess.

Wil Powell was suspended for five weeks for a similar offence back in May. So six weeks for Collard is the bare minimum that is consistent with the AFL's announced policy of escalating penalties going forward. Yet Collard's scenario would seem to call for something beyond that bare minimum sanction, given that it apparently involved numerous slurs directed at multiple players.

Really ? Which commentators regularly proclaim 'Jesus Christ?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus Christ is a slur?

I just call everyone Penis these days

Damn! A massive difference in tone and language on here, compared to the comments sections on other social media locations. Many defending Collard, "What stays on the field", "Opponents are soft as", "world gone woke", "harden up" etc etc.

That would fall under the old notion of blasphemy or taking the Lord's name in vain. It is not a slur - a slur is a comment/name that puts somebody down or insult them.

Saying "Jesus Christ" isn't putting anyone down.

Wil Powell was suspended for five weeks for a similar offence back in May. So six weeks for Collard is the bare minimum that is consistent with the AFL's announced policy of escalating penalties going forward. Yet Collard's scenario would seem to call for something beyond that bare minimum sanction, given that it apparently involved numerous slurs directed at multiple players.

Let’s see what the next offender cops I guess.

Damn! A massive difference in tone and language on here, compared to the comments sections on other social media locations. Many defending Collard, "What stays on the field", "Opponents are soft as", "world gone woke", "harden up" etc etc.

People on bigfooty are on average younger and more socially progressive than on facebook

The opinions of young adults whose synapses have not fully formed plague the internet - fortunately they’re pretty much inconsequential - in other words no one should take them seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back