Lance Franklin's Future in the Game

Remove this Banner Ad

He could easily become the best player in the AFL and yet never have even 1% of the respect or affection shown to Archer, Hird, Harvey etc.

Which will matter very little if he manages to be part of a Hawthorn premiership team. They'll like him enough.

He could easily become the best player in the AFL and yet never have even 1% of the respect or affection shown to Archer, Hird, Harvey etc.

WTF are you on mate? He's been in the system for 3 years, not 13.

He's that young and green that he doesn't yet do any press?

Season before last every time Buddy went near the ball Hawk and opposition supporters where on their feet as one woohing and anticipating some magic.

The game is in good hands while we have people of Franklin's ilk in the wings, waiting to fill the voids created by those retirements. I'm tipping his achievements will put those of Voss, Archer, Buckley, Koutifidis, Hird et al into perspective.

Skilts

I like your skilful destruction of Lance Franklin's character. Very subtle.

But

You do have that faint whiff of --- (on this forum I will call it) egg on your face --

Really.

Michael Voss?

The same Michael Voss, that ex premiership captain, All Australian, future coach, future hall of famer, TV and radio commentator... the same Michael Voss who in company with another Brisbane legend but not mentioned in your post, Simon Black and other footballers both current and ex who decided on 29.09.06 to harass a young lady at the Prince of Wales Hotel in St Kilda, who when she rejected their advances and her boyfriend intervened was assaulted by Voss and kicked by Black.

Wow, thats some role model you've got for us there Skilts. Whose your other choices?? Ivan Milat?

Skilts

But

You do have that faint whiff of --- (on this forum I will call it) egg on your face --

Really.

Michael Voss?

The same Michael Voss, that ex premiership captain, All Australian, future coach, future hall of famer, TV and radio commentator... the same Michael Voss who in company with another Brisbane legend but not mentioned in your post, Simon Black and other footballers both current and ex who decided on 29.09.06 to harass a young lady at the Prince of Wales Hotel in St Kilda, who when she rejected their advances and her boyfriend intervened was assaulted by Voss and kicked by Black.

Wow, thats some role model you've got for us there Skilts. Whose your other choices?? Ivan Milat?

Ouch!!!

As a Hawks supporter I worry that he might become the next Richo - dominate teams at times and not hurt them enough on the scorebaord, due to inaccurate kicking, or go missing in patches of games.

Hopefully this doesn't happen and he fulfills his potential, dominates and stays at the Hawks.

buddy will be better than richo, his clutch kicking against adelaide in this years finals assists my speculation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know how Kouta got dragged into this thread, but the guy was champ. Agreed over his career he couldn't ranked among Voss and Hird, but on his day he absolutely left them for dead.

One thing Kouta suffers over is his high standard. He had more than just 3 good years, but because his style changed, mostly due to having every ligament in his knees reconstructed, people took that as playing poorly. Despite leading the AFL for clearances, he would still be looked at as fallen star by those who didnt watch him closely.

Because they all had two knee reco's?

Franklin needs to learn to mark properly, if he can do that he will kick 100 goals!

And you wonder why people bag Carlton? Murphy is a gun, most of us can say this. Franklin improved incredibly in his marking this year. He couldn't hold hardly any overhead last year. This year, he was taking them running full pelt hands in front of the chest - textbook. But yes, he can improve his marking significantly. Not your cheap shot "franklin needs to learn to mark properly" as though you've been analysing his marking technique and are a know all on how to mark "textbook fashion"

Sheeesh.

Skilts

But

Really.

Michael Voss?

Beautifully posted Rusty. As fenech says, "luvz ya mate"

Skilts

But

Really.

Michael Voss?

I'll accept I have egg on my face if you can show me whereabouts in my post, or anywhere else for that matter, I've defended Voss's actions. It saddens me that you find my post so offensive, especially the bits in which I say what a splendid player Franklin is. Still, I have to assume you have your own reasons for your detestation of him, to the point where any praise of him is anathema to you.

Your feeble-mindedness is revealed in your assumption that footballers are 'role models' in anything other than, at a stretch, being footballers. I suppose you studied psychology, or was it sociology, or are you just a ratbag?

Personally, I think the man will trip between the peaks of mountains throughout the rest of his career. The sky is the limit. His natural ability, combined with his application to the job make him a potential Brownlow Medallist, as well as a potential 100 goal a-year player.

Can anybody conceive of any impediment which might interfere with this bloke achieving what seems to be his natural right of a long and successful career in the AFL?

I find it very thrilling to see a new generation of superstars coming through the ranks, especially given the number of retirements by legends this season. The game is in good hands while we have people of Franklin's ilk in the wings, waiting to fill the voids created by those retirements. I'm tipping his achievements will put those of Voss, Archer, Buckley, Koutifidis, Hird et al into perspective.

It's well done, i'll give you that, the double meanings, the things that were implied (both good and bad) but not quite stated, probably too good for Bay 13 but that's where it belongs non the less.
It does provide a good platform for counter strikes, which I note you're already utilising.

He doesn't like chicken. Especially when he is drunk at the best and fairest. If he doesn't like his meal on said occassion, he is likely to take the plate and empty it under the table much to the embarassment and annoyance of his team "mates".

Don't take my word for it. Ask the Sunday Age.

Skilts

But

Really.

Michael Voss?

As everyone on this board is holding their tounge about a few of your players, you should maybe take some of your own clubs advice.

This matter is still in the courts, and as such, should still be left alone.

Michael Voss hasn't done anything, until he is convicted.

Agree here. Buddy Franklin could be anything on the football field, but even as a Hawks supporter, I say he will never be in the same class of the guys mentioned above. For example, I don't think I'll ever think of Buddy in the same way I think of Jason Dunstall (even if Buddy does turn out to be a better footballer).

The Archers, Dunstalls, Hirds and Harveys are guys who are champion footballers as well as very highly respected citizens and role-models. As far as pure football ability, Buddy may one day have all of them covered, but there will always be a slight lack of respect and shear admiration for him as a person as far as I'm concerned. Refer: Wayne Carey (probably the 2nd best footballer I've ever seen - but do not hold him in as high regard as the others I've mentioned, purely because of his conduct off the field).

Let me also say that, just because someone becomes an elite AFL footballer, I don't believe that means they sign a contract and agree to be respected and admired in the ilk of the Dunstalls, Hirds, Harveys and Archers. The fact that it's not mandatory though, makes these guys all the more sepcial I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lance Franklin's Future in the Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back