Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Raiders name HC.......

He's already at work on the new playbook.

kenny460.jpg

Why not speak to Gruden? (No need to list all the boneheaded Al-centric reasons, Raider fan)

He is very good coach and the Raider nation would have loved to have him back.

Im neither for nor against Cable.
But this is still a rumor. No official confirmation yet. As far as Im aware.

The likelihood is it's Cable....his contract ended on Jan 13, yet is still working for the Raiders, scouting at the Senior Bowl, involved in the interviews for position coaches etc.

Sounds like a HC.

Davis does this often to pick coaches brains. Pseudo interviews with HC candidates just to see how they do things that Davis can siphon from them.

This is why imo, the Raiders MAY not announce Cable HC until after they interview Todd Haley. As he has a vertical passing offense.

If they announce a HC too soon, then he cant bring in all these co-ordinators under the guise of them being interviewed for the HC job.

There's also a chance, that Davis might change his mind if he interviewed Haley, say, and fell in love with him. Cable said he was ok to work for the Raiders under whatever capacity.

Still, it's kinda reasonable to assume Cable is the HC. HC's in the Raiders are not always as important as co-ordinators. The OC and playcaller is actually more crucial. If Cable were HC above an OC like Trestman, say, you can be sure Cable is just the guy prowling the sidelines pepping up his men, and if he's trusted by Al (which he is unlike Kiffin) then he would have big feedback into drafting and other decisions. But the OC would be where the wheel turns. And the position coaches working hands-on with the players to develop them.

Paul Hackett the new QB Coach...great hire.
Dwaine Board....new D-Line coach...very good hire.
Kelly Skipper...RB coach....excellent coach.
Sanjay Lal....quality control offense....great talent.
etc.
The Raiders are definitely putting together a more thoughtful staff than previously.
In this nascent look at the 2009 Raiders coaching staff, Cable would be more the figurehead. The engine room the coaches beneath him.

Why not speak to Gruden? (No need to list all the boneheaded Al-centric reasons, Raider fan)

He is very good coach and the Raider nation would have loved to have him back.

Please dont presume. Many Raider fans dont want him at all. Gruden is not that good a coach. He hasnt proved much beyond inheriting Dungy's team. And many players and admin were pushing for him to get axed.
Gruden and Al were a very good match, yes.
But that bridge has been burned.
Gruden is also a very poor developer of talent, he is renowned for FA hires, using vets, and cant and hasnt developed anyone either in Oakland or Tampa.

I think Cable is a good decision, he is making improvements on the list and is working well with the roster. You can't exactly say many complaints about him and if you do, your just being fussy. Every coach has their weak points, Cable comes with them. However he is doing better than what Kiffin is doing and give Cable time, he will be a good coach for the Raiders.

Raiders have been naming recent hired coaches.

All these are recent hirings...

Dwaine Board, Defensive Line
John Fassel, Special Teams Coordinator
Paul Hackett, Quarterbacks
Randy Hanson, Assistant Defensive Backs
Adam Henry, Tight Ends
Sanjay Lal, Quality Control, Offense
George Martinez, Quality Control, Defense
Kelly Skipper, Running Backs
Lionel Washington, Defensive Backs

Re: Al Davis and the '83 Raiders

5-On Thursday night before the game, Long learned more than he ever wanted to know about Super Bowl traffic patterns. He was rushing back to the team hotel after making a paid TV appearance, when cars slowed to a crawl about a half-mile from his destination. He was driving a generic rental car that was utterly nondescript . . . except for the giant Super Bowl decal on the side.

Realizing he was going to miss curfew if he stayed in that bumper-to-bumper snarl, Long simply left his car in the street and ran back to the hotel.

Ah, to be a 23-year-old football star . . .

Long, by the way, barely made it back to his room in time.

"Good thing Willie Brown started bed-check at the other end of the hall," he said.

Funny you should mention it. Reminded me of a story in Marcus Allen's Autobiography.

The Raiders provided players with hire cars throughout the week. Marcus Allen and Odis McKinney decided to drive one to the stadium on game day, rather than catch the team bus. They were turned away from several entrances of the parking lot as they didn't have parking passes.

After two more parking attendants refused us entry, Otis exploded. "We're the players, you f*ckin' moron!" he yelled at the attendant. "How the hell are they going to play the game if you won't let the players in?"

Back on the street, we continued to circle the stadium as pre-game traffic began building and Odis's temperature rose. "What the hell are we gonna do?" he finally asked.

I knew the entrance we'd used earlier on Press Day and directed McKinney to it. When we reached it, I told him to pull over to the curb.
Parking the car, he turned to me. "Now what?"

"We're out of here," I said.

With that we abandoned the car, keys still in the ignition, motor still running, to God-knows-what fate, and walked quickly to the players' entrance. To this day I haven't the slightest idea what ever became of the car.
MARCUS - The autobiography of Marcus Allen with Carlton Stowers
St Martin's Paperbacks 1998

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gotta love those olden days.
today everything is so sanitized.

Bloody technology eh gg..;) imagine if it was back in the day for the immaculate catch?? Sanitize that! :p

Thanx for posting the AD article Steve. Great read. :thumbsu:

I still recall getting up Sunday morning in January to catch the play-offs on FTA TV back in the day and recall watching Jim Plunkett. It was like the dawn of the NFL for me. Very intrigued I was and basically admired the game without knowing much about it then.

And it is......Tom Cable. Frppppptttt.

C'mon sjsdu, get it right... it's Pfffft! :)

Obviously a feel good Raiders thread goes hand in hand with a piss take on the Raiders thread.

Wouldn't surprise if the Niners copped the same treatment actually.

Well are there any stories anymore in the off-field SBs?
Only ones I can think of recently are....
Raiders 2003, Barret Robbins AWOL.
Retrospective Spygate allegations on the Rams-Pats SB.
Other than that I cant really think of any that have occured in the last 10 years.

For instance, one of the best stories imo was the Raiders 76 SB winning team totally trashing New Orleans, party-wise, all week including the night before the game, then still going out and hammering the Eagles in the SB....including Rozelle handing over the Lombardi to his foe Davis (when Davis was suing the NFL).

Before Cable came to the Raiders, he spent one season as the Atlanta Falcons' offensive line coach and two seasons as UCLA's offensive coordinator. His only head-coaching experience came at Idaho, where he went 11-35 from 2000 to 2003.

That's a pretty impressive resume.

I'm surprised there wasn't a bidding war for his services. :D

I'll suspend comment on these three hires until I see some games to judge how good/bad these three particular hires (HC/OC/DC) are. I know that the positional coaches Davis signed are all excellent choices, really great selections. Just iffy on Tollner. And Marshall as DC is really just there to ensure the Raiders play "Raider football" press man coverage, no zone. And Cable as HC is just there as someone who CAN work with Davis.

Al Davis Unplugged (Tom Cable PC)

There's a justintv type of site where you can watch the PC that was on today, and Davis was pretty funny in his general smart ass remarks, but here's more after the cameras stopped rolling...

But I'll leave you with some tidbits from Raiders owner Al Davis for now from his chat with reporters after the television cameras stopped recording. Davis remains one of the most fascinating people to speak with in sports and someone I enjoy listening to whenever he speaks.

On if Lane Kiffin was paid the money he sought in his grievance:
"F*** no."
When a reporter mentioned that Davis has a lot of input on what happens on the field:
"Bull****."

Click to read more

And there's even more here.....

Click to read

Re: Al Davis Unplugged (Tom Cable PC)

lol I love it how its NEVER his fault... By all accounts he has no input into the team :p So really he is pretty useless as an owner...

Re: Al Davis Unplugged (Tom Cable PC)

haha that would be funny to see :p

Seriously, are we meant to believe he has that little power over ASSISTANT coaches? Just sounds stupid...

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back