Player Watch Lcoemwe to Port Adelaide Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate Soldo. Think his start to the year was very good until injured. He's been a bit unlucky that Sweet has come on so strongly and taken his spot.

Happy to trade him out, but only for a decent offer. Otherwise I'd make him play SANFL all year and fight for a spot in the side.

Seems like these days blokes think they have a right to play 1st team football. Nothing wrong with earning your stripes in the 2nds.

Last edited:
Unless he's desperate to get back to Melbourne and/or play VFL, I can't see why Soldo would go to a loser club like St Kilda to sit behind Rowan Marshall.

Yeah ideally Soldo stays and works on being a forward/ruck in the mould of Lade. He's kicked a few goals this year and with Dixon crocked there is definitely a need for a behemoth up forward.

I know he came here to nab a first ruck spot that wasn't available at Richmond, but there's now ample evidence that his body isn't able to hold up to the rigours of a whole season in the centre.

Soldo doesn't seem durable enough for anyone to pin hopes on him as full season number one ruck.

I'm keeping him so Sweet doesn't get battered for entire seasons, you've been here 1 year fukcin' suck it up Ivan.
If we can get a reasonable return for him I’m moving Soldo on, Visintini needs opportunities next year. Even if Soldo is out for a Future 2nd I’m doing it.

Dante is promising but still a baby giraffe at this level you need a mature back up for Sweet IMO.
The kids proved last week against the Hawks they need opportunities to develop. Back the kids in, give them a platform to perform, and they will repay the opportunity with Excitement, Vigour and Energy desperately lacking in so many teams. This doesn’t mean you play all kids for 23 games, you bleed kids throughout the year and manage players through form and fitness.

Soldo may net us reasonable return, you need to buy and sell at the right time and weigh up value and opportunity, strike while the iron is hot. He gave us what we needed, now surplus to requirements if opportunity to sell comes forth I would personally take it.

The kids proved last week against the Hawks they need opportunities to develop. Back the kids in, give them a platform to perform, and they will repay the opportunity with Excitement, Vigour and Energy desperately lacking in so many teams. This doesn’t mean you play all kids for 23 games, you bleed kids throughout the year and manage players through form and fitness.

Soldo may net us reasonable return, you need to buy and sell at the right time and weigh up value and opportunity, strike while the iron is hot. He gave us what we needed, now surplus to requirements if opportunity to sell comes forth I would personally take it.
A second rounder for Soldo could net us Luko

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never understood the reasoning behind getting both Sweet and Soldo. Soldo is one of the older fashioned lumbering type who is quickly being phased out of the modern game. Sweet was always going to be the better option with his superior mobility.

I never understood the reasoning behind getting both Sweet and Soldo. Soldo is one of the older fashioned lumbering type who is quickly being phased out of the modern game. Sweet was always going to be the better option with his superior mobility.
Said it before, but absolutely no one expected Sweet to become what he is already.

If we’re losing Soldo, we should be getting back almost what we paid for him. He’s only one year on and still under contract. His exposed form from this year shouldn’t lower his value. I’d be trying to bundle Clurey and Soldo together and send to West Coast with our current second round pick for their second and third round picks, which would come in around picks 20 and 40 before FS and NGA selection. Pick 40 (WCE 3rd round) gets Richards. We then take the Houston 1st round and WCE 2nd round to the draft, and use our existing later picks for Barrett and whichever FS are needed that way.

The argument for trading Soldo now is that we'll never get as much value for him if we keep him as depth

The argument for trading Soldo now is that we'll never get as much value for him if we keep him as depth
Assuming he stays fit which is a big assumption. Said it when we did it and saying it now, I think we wasted too many picks on him and we'll never get those back and frankly, I am surprised we went for both Soldo and Sweet when Sweet was VFL's best ruckman last year by a fair margin, when Soldo also played VFL.

A lot to pin on a bloke who played 11 First team matches. Couldn’t grab just Sweet and he not come on like he has, then it would be ‘what a stupid decision to risk everything on a bloke who only played 11 games’

Assuming he stays fit which is a big assumption. Said it when we did it and saying it now, I think we wasted too many picks on him and we'll never get those back and frankly, I am surprised we went for both Soldo and Sweet when Sweet was VFL's best ruckman last year by a fair margin, when Soldo also played VFL.

The argument at the time was that Soldo was an AFL proven ruckman and Sweet was an untested product who'd dominated the reserves.

As we've seen re trades pver the last few years, Rucks, KPF and KPDs are simply a premium at the AFL level and we paid the price for one.

Look how many of our whipping boys have dominated the SANFL & VFL

Boyd Woodcock was in this year's VFL Team of the Year and Aaron Young won the 2022 Magary

The levels simply aren't comparable.

If i was him, ivant to go back to Victoria

Classic Film Dracula GIF by Warner Archive

It was a risk adverse decision, it was the right decision at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but like share trading, you diversify your portfolio and don’t look back saying if I put all my eggs into one basket I would have had a 12% return instead of this 7.5% return. Because as Matthew Bode should educate us, the return continues to evolve long into the future.

The argument at the time was that Soldo was an AFL proven ruckman and Sweet was an untested product who'd dominated the reserves.

As we've seen re trades pver the last few years, Rucks, KPF and KPDs are simply a premium at the AFL level and we paid the price for one.

Look how many of our whipping boys have dominated the SANFL & VFL

Boyd Woodcock was in this year's VFL Team of the Year and Aaron Young won the 2022 Magary

The levels simply aren't comparable.
AFL proven ruck is a bit a stretch.

He had played 58 AFL games at Richmond, primarily as a second ruck, with a laundry list of injuries.

It was a bad move. Two average rucks is not better than 1 average ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lcoemwe to Port Adelaide Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back