Player Watch Lcoemwe to Port Adelaide Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Find one in the state leagues, or a backup ruck somewhere else. Soldo is on more $$$ than we'd like to pay a backup ruck, and he's got draft capital that we can use elsewhere.
He's injury prone and probably on more than anyone else wants to pay, good luck with a value pick it's more like a garbage pick and paying part of his wage to accommodate it.

He's injury prone and probably on more than anyone else wants to pay, good luck with a value pick it's more like a garbage pick and paying part of his wage to accommodate it.
It’s in the opposite direction, but I think he is EXACTLY what West Coast need.

There's nothing wrong with managing your list so that you have 3 capable AFL ruckmen. You can only realistically play 1 each week but injuries and form fluctuate and you just never know when someone is going to be required to step up. That will of course frustrate the 2 guys not getting a game any given week but that's just life as a ruckman in the AFL system these days unless you're a top 10 or so ruckman.

There's nothing wrong with managing your list so that you have 3 capable AFL ruckmen. You can only realistically play 1 each week but injuries and form fluctuate and you just never know when someone is going to be required to step up. That will of course frustrate the 2 guys not getting a game any given week but that's just life as a ruckman in the AFL system these days unless you're a top 10 or so ruckman.
Feels like people are carrying on like Soldo is Grundy lite and we can get some value, he's basically the same guy he was at Richmond, good on his day but yet to prove he has durability. Handy depth.

I never understood the reasoning behind getting both Sweet and Soldo. Soldo is one of the older fashioned lumbering type who is quickly being phased out of the modern game. Sweet was always going to be the better option with his superior mobility.
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing! You are dead right, we should have traded in Soldo only, and told the untried Sweet that we dont need him.

Oh wait! :think:

I reckon 3 rucks is the right amount. No.1 ruck, The backup and a development player.

Some clubs' No.2 ruck might be handy up forward but I think Soldo wants out.

Visentini could be a decent backup. So I'd expect to look for another development type with a late/rookie pick to work on.

What on earth would GC do with Soldo? They have both an older ruck and a younger ruck who are better than him. He'd be even further away from getting a game there than he is here.

But he'd have his pick of plastic boobies.

I never understood the reasoning behind getting both Sweet and Soldo. Soldo is one of the older fashioned lumbering type who is quickly being phased out of the modern game. Sweet was always going to be the better option with his superior mobility.
Wasn't it because Soldo became an option late and they'd already been courting Sweet for quite a while?

Calm down. Its not too late to delete this post.
Sounds like this bloke hasn't heard about Lycett's fourth quarter in the 2020 prelim. Gather round everyone, let me tell you a tale ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like this bloke hasn't heard about Lycett's fourth quarter in the 2020 prelim. Gather round everyone, let me tell you a tale ...
Screenshot_20240919_082555_Chrome.jpg
Lycett started the quarter by kicking a baby, which was a perfectly legal footy act in 2001, but was outlawed by the patriot act following the September 11 attacks.

There was nothing wrong with grabbing two ruckmen in the offseason because we had none at all.

Sweet has hit it out of the park this year but a lot of posters were not enamoured with us trading for a career backup.

Nothing so wrong with grabbing 2 rucks, but overpaying for one of them in a trade when we had the obvious play of, “this is what we want to trade you, if you say no it’s ok we’ve already got a ruck lined up and you can keep soldo another year and risk losing him for nothing”

(which is what an uncontracted soldo would be worth right now.

Nothing so wrong with grabbing 2 rucks, but overpaying for one of them in a trade when we had the obvious play of, “this is what we want to trade you, if you say no it’s ok we’ve already got a ruck lined up and you can keep soldo another year and risk losing him for nothing”

(which is what an uncontracted soldo would be worth right now.
I called all of that exactly at the time of the trade itself and in my off season analysis.

If we get a 2nd for Soldo because it is a seller's market, no harm, no foul.

Genuinely think we'd have been better off offering Lycett a deal as a 3rd choice ruckman and keeping the 3 picks we traded for Soldo unnecessarily
Lycett could barely move in the Div One Ammo's prelim final last week.

Was kicking on his left foot as his right knee is stuffed.

Lycett could barely move in the Div One Ammo's prelim final last week.

Was kicking on his left foot as his right knee is stuffed.
And we decided to replace him with someone that also has a cooked knee haha. I said it at the time too, just Jordan Sweet would've been enough and you could've drafted another ruckman using the 3 picks we gave away for Soldo cause Sweet and Visentini are very capable ruckmen and we would've saved the 600k we're paying for this guy and the picks we gave up.

And we decided to replace him with someone that also has a cooked knee haha. I said it at the time too, just Jordan Sweet would've been enough and you could've drafted another ruckman using the 3 picks we gave away for Soldo cause Sweet and Visentini are very capable ruckmen and we would've saved the 600k we're paying for this guy and the picks we gave up.

In all fairness Ivan should have been managed better from day one and the botched knee surgery that Port had him trying to push though did him absolutely no favours.

In all fairness Ivan should have been managed better from day one and the botched knee surgery that Port had him trying to push though did him absolutely no favours.
Did an ACL at Richmond in 2020 and missed all of 2021 and has since had spent some time on the bench with his knee injury. We overpaid big time for this guy when we didnt need to at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lcoemwe to Port Adelaide Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back