Remove this Banner Ad

ozasismick

All Australian
Feb 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Press Release;

Channel Seven has topped the AFL ratings ladder again at the end of the 2008 home and away season with Friday Night Football up 3% in Melbourne, as premiership player and coach Leigh Matthews re-joins the Channel Seven commentary team for the 2008 AFL finals series.

This outstanding ratings result is the second year in a row Channel Seven has increased AFL ratings in Melbourne after a 4.6% increase in Melbourne in 2007, showing viewers love AFL on Seven.

Friday Night Football ratings in Melbourne have increased to an average of 434,000 viewers in 2008, compared to 421,000 viewers in 2007.

Across the network, ratings held steady on Friday Night Football from the outstanding 2007 result when ratings increased 6% from Channel Nine’s performance in 2006.

Sunday Football has also increased dramatically on Channel Seven in Melbourne for Sunday Football where ratings are up 9%, an average of 311,000 viewers in 2008, compared to 286,000 in 2007.

“We’re delighted with our AFL ratings and thank our loyal Channel Seven AFL viewers. We’re once again thrilled AFL Legend Leigh Matthews will join us for the finals. Our AFL ratings success is a credit to our commentary and production team,” said Channel Seven Melbourne General Manager Lewis Martin.

Should be good!! Don't see the reason for them to include Channel 9 figures in this press release though, with this and the presser against Foxtel, you'd think they were running an agenda!! They really only had to put that first paragraph in to get the point across, but credit where it's due to 7 in getting Leigh in the box again.

Matthews is one of the few former players (if not the only one) on TV or radio who actually adds anything to the commentary - good get by 7.

Circa 1999? He was with 7 before he went to Brisbane IIRC?

But the ratings comment is crap. It's because there is nothing else to watch on Fridays.

When was there ever anything else to watch on Friday nights? Therefore the ratings increase is a fair call.

Well good on those incompetent people down at 7 to do something with there coverage of football. Don't how those statistics add up because there coverage over the past 2 years has been absolutely terrible.

Tim Watson & David Schwarz are payed big $$$ to give comments on the game that might give an insight veiwers havent picked up, not state the bleeding obvious such as "if he kicks this they'll be 6 points closer!"

Is there a reason why those household commentators of Sandy Roberts, Ian Robertson, Drew Morphett havent returned to the coverage. Bruce is missing his spark and is anything but SPECIAL!

To make it worse tonights final...FINAL! will not be shown live on tv at least i dont believe it will be, which begs the question of how serious are channel 7 about covering football. This is a sport that has dominated Victoria for 150 years, who cares about a couple of old folk who are interessted in looking at plants for spring courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens...Put on the important stuff and lets get our Free 2 Air money's worth!

Great get for 7 - Matthews will be a great commentator and really will give an insight into the game.

Denis, Lethal Leigh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest at 7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great, does this mean they'll get rid of that deadbeat david schwarz? commetti, mcavaney, buckley and matthews would be a nice commentary team.

True. I kinda think Buckley's a bit overrated as a commentator though. I'll give you that his insight into the game is fantastic, but I feel he's a bit of a 'traditionalist' when it comes to umpiring decisions, in that he seems to go with the notion that unless a transgression of the rules is absolutely blatant then the umps should let the game go on without penalty. One of the reasons I actually like Bruce Macca is that he sticks to the rules of the game. A free should be paid a free.

But back on topic, definitely agree that Matthews would be a great replacement for the simpleton David Shwarz.

showing viewers love AFL on Seven.

An increase in viewers to football on television says nothing about Seven's coverage. In all honesty, Seven can't cover anything that I would tilt my hat to. While I'm on the topic, why do they show those amateur aerial views at centre bounces??? They still use Bruce McAvaney for crying out aloud!!!

Seven stinks!!! As for the coverage of the Olympic Games........

mcavaney's asking buckley about luke ball's progress from a hamstring injury.. as buckley's explaining how he's progressing, that meathead schwarz cuts him off and says "his legs went back to his forehead with that injury". silence. schwarz adds nothing, and as this shows, often takes away from viewing enjoyment when others are trying to add something.

channel 7: PLEASE stop using david schwarz on your football coverage as of next year.

An increase in viewers to football on television says nothing about Seven's coverage. In all honesty, Seven can't cover anything that I would tilt my hat to.

I kind of think the same thing. The game is growing in terms of penetration, attendances and memberships, and an increase in the ratings for 7 is a flow-on effect of the game's growth. I'm sure Fox and 10 would report similiar ratings growth rates, and I don't think it's right for 7 to take credit for the growth of their ratings without proof that it's due to the quality of their coverage.

mcavaney's asking buckley about luke ball's progress from a hamstring injury.. as buckley's explaining how he's progressing, that meathead schwarz cuts him off and says "his legs went back to his forehead with that injury". silence. schwarz adds nothing, and as this shows, often takes away from viewing enjoyment when others are trying to add something.

Agree with this too. So many times I've heard Shwarzkopf chime in with a stupid comment, only for the rest of the commentators to fall silent. I'd love to sit down for a beer with Macca and Cometti, and ask 'em "Now off the record, what do you really think of David Schwarz?". It must be hard for them, because I know when someone at my work says something stupid, I'm able to mutter "Oh for fu...." under my breath, but these guys just have to keep shut!"

I think Bruce got his spark back this weekend as a direct result of Leigh Mattews being in the box with him. Having Cometti and getting Leigh is the only thing Channel 7 have done right since they got the rights back

I also think Tim Watson is terribly boring as I commentator.

True. I kinda think Buckley's a bit overrated as a commentator though. I'll give you that his insight into the game is fantastic, but I feel he's a bit of a 'traditionalist' when it comes to umpiring decisions, in that he seems to go with the notion that unless a transgression of the rules is absolutely blatant then the umps should let the game go on without penalty. One of the reasons I actually like Bruce Macca is that he sticks to the rules of the game. A free should be paid a free.

But back on topic, definitely agree that Matthews would be a great replacement for the simpleton David Shwarz.

Didn't Buckley leave the rules committee because he disagreed with the direction it was heading? IIRC, the hands in the back debacle was the final straw for Buckley. That could be why he is so critical.

Matthews will add a lot to the commentary box. I look forward to Cometti, Buckley and Matthews as an announcing team. Buckley has been a pleasant surprise this year.

Get rid of the Ox. Watson isn't much chop either and Channel 7 - show the finals LIVE!!!

Agree about the ox, but when you pay as much as they did for the broadcasting rights, I think it is completely in their interest to show the game half an hour in delay so they can add some more adds and pay the bills. As long as games keep on free to air, I am more than happy to watch a game on delay by an hour.

Doesn't matter who they add, their coverage is farcical. Case in point, being forced to sit through two ad breaks in succession. One when they cut to commercial after Brad Ottens' goal in the third. Two when they cut to commercial after Steve Johnson goaled from the Milne free kick immediately proceeding the Ottens goal.

If you watched the delayed telecast, you would have seen the players standing around waiting for the orange light while Steve Johnson was lining up for goal.

Matthews was fantastic in both ch7 games on the weekend. They should stick with the line up of Commetti,Buckley & Matthews and Bruce just needs to turn the excitement level up and leave the funny stuff to Dennis.

Whenever Matthews speaks you never have any doubts about what he's saying and he makes perfect sense and offers real insight into the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Matthews re-joins Seven AFL finals coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back