Leon Davis, interested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Leon Davis

Perplexed at how people think we don't need him. He'd slot in right away and make a massive impact on our so called tilt for a top 4 spot. No offence to Crichton and most of our kids whom have been touted to play that same role, they'd make nowhere near the same impact he would. The bloke was near AA this year. His 1 or 2 years would be more worth than what our current players in his role would offer. Rather him than Duffield and I don't really see how he is a risk.

I bet we'll come regretting this next season, as a matter of fact - i guarantee it if he joins another AFL club. I think Michie may come along nicely but how many games do you think he was gonna get this year? Now that he's had the injury, you'd want him to develop and recover at a good rate. Don't know if he'd playing the Neon role, and I'd much rather Neon for a year or so.

If we had Hayden still - would you play him? If yes (which I assume most of you are thinking), sad to say but Davis is a better player at the moment - as much as I rate Hayden a few years back, Davis still shows he has a lot to offer.

Rant over, we won't get him but I just thought i'd express my opinion. I'd love for one of our young blokes to step up and play a pivotal role, seriously i'd absolutely love to be proven wrong.

Re: Leon Davis

Perplexed at how people think we don't need him. He'd slot in right away and make a massive impact on our so called tilt for a top 4 spot. No offence to Crichton and most of our kids whom have been touted to play that same role, they'd make nowhere near the same impact he would. The bloke was near AA this year. His 1 or 2 years would be more worth than what our current players in his role would offer. Rather him than Duffield and I don't really see how he is a risk.

I bet we'll come regretting this next season, as a matter of fact - i guarantee it if he joins another AFL club. I think Michie may come along nicely but how many games do you think he was gonna get this year? Now that he's had the injury, you'd want him to develop and recover at a good rate. Don't know if he'd playing the Neon role, and I'd much rather Neon for a year or so.

If we had Hayden still - would you play him? If yes (which I assume most of you are thinking), sad to say but Davis is a better player at the moment - as much as I rate Hayden a few years back, Davis still shows he has a lot to offer.

Rant over, we won't get him but I just thought i'd express my opinion. I'd love for one of our young blokes to step up and play a pivotal role, seriously i'd absolutely love to be proven wrong.

I think you will be proven wrong. A good player in a great team that's flying but can't match it at the business end of the season. As Lyon said, get games into Michie, Suban and Chrichton and see where they go. Remember that Mundy looked like a lame duck for his first few seasons before coming good just as the calls to trade him out came thick and fast.

I dont have room in my best 22 for the likes of ibbo mellington michie cricthon walters roberton pitt at the moment, and Davis would mean adding either Suban, Hill or Duff to that list. No thanks. And I wouldn't play Hayden if he was fit and 2 years younger.

I don't think we want to be top 4 for 1 or 2 years, we want "sustained success". If we get Davis we'll have 6 or so blokes in their 30's very shortly - I don't see how this is a good list management strategy.

Would prefer a balanced list, with some guns/veterans and with some youngsters coming through.

I can kind of see the logic and I did kind of forget Suban. If we were going for a premiership tilt this coming season i'd say get him. But since we're after more sustained success and improvement on the ladder it's better to have a still young Suban with a couple seasons under his belt while we work our way up the ladder. Compare this to Davis who yes will probably offer more for a few seasons, but after that the likes of Suban/Pitt cannot step in as well due to lack of matches that Davis has played in their place.

Kind of back tracking here but I still would like to get him in the end as he could probably play a variety of roles and yes I'll admit it - i'm still in the frame of mind of our team still being all injured.

I like how he lets the cobblers do the cobbling

other lyon idioms -

past is irrelevant
forewarned is forearmed
perception is reality

That and his style in the presser -

'XX came back looking fit' > 'you noticed that? that's great - that's your perception that they've come back leaner' ... 'so you think he's in good shape? thats good'

rather than be drawn on commenting on a player he turns it around and reflects it back to the interviewer instead of speculating on 'what it means' .. might take a bit for the media types to learn how to handle him

He certainly loves to drop a certainly in...

Certainly? What I would say is - that's clearly how you choose to interpret it. The reality is that he has a really simple, clear message and nothing sits in isolation. At the end of the day, you'd be flippant if you dismiss him. Lyon clearly performs with a very strong, strategic focus towards sustained success. That's the long term aim - is that the reality? It is yet to eventuate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leon Davis, interested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back