Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

God you are the perfect David Koch era fan. All the excuses.

Tell me what is not objectively s**t about appointing some amatuer league dude to this role?

I am sure it was an exhaustive search and he isn't tied to Hinkley, the syndicate or a cult in any way. Absolutely the best most well credentialled option I am sure.
Not even a successful amateur league dude.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’re not a rich club in Perth or Victoria who can attract and pay big names.

Since when?

Mark Williams
Alastair Clarkson
Dean Bailey
Garry Hocking
Dani Laidley
Alan Richardson
Darren Burgess
Phil Walsh
Michael Voss
Nathan Bassett
Brett Montgomery
Jarrad Schofield
Josh Carr

Since when?

Mark Williams
Alastair Clarkson
Dean Bailey
Garry Hocking
Dani Laidley
Alan Richardson
Darren Burgess
Phil Walsh
Michael Voss
Nathan Bassett
Brett Montgomery
Jarrad Schofield
Josh Carr
I'll give you Walsh, Richardson & Voss.

Williams, Monty, Schofield and Carr were already Port Adelaide people. They don't count.

Clarkson, Bailey & Burgess became big names because they succeeded at Port. We made their reputations, and then lost them to bigger and better things. Burgess's return then slots right in with Williams, Monty, Schofield and Carr.

Hocking never a big name. Basset is from SA, and hates the crows. There was nowhere else for him to go.

We attracted Laidley so well they zoomed into training sessions for a couple of seasons. What a success that was.

I'll give you Walsh, Richardson & Voss.

Williams, Monty, Schofield and Carr were already Port Adelaide people. They don't count.

Clarkson, Bailey & Burgess became big names because they succeeded at Port. We made their reputations, and then lost them to bigger and better things. Burgess's return then slots right in with Williams, Monty, Schofield and Carr.

Hocking never a big name. Basset is from SA, and hates the crows. There was nowhere else for him to go.

We attracted Laidley so well they zoomed into training sessions for a couple of seasons. What a success that was.

It doesn’t matter where they’re from, they’re not being paid in bird seed.

It doesn’t matter where they’re from, they’re not being paid in bird seed.
I was challenging the definition of 'big name', not the amount we pay coaches (Which is the same amount as every other club. We're all bound by the same football department cap).

Only three people on that list are/were genuinely big names with no existing ties to the club. It is harder for us to attract talent because we're based in SA. Why would a coach come here when they could go to the club down the road, not have to move their whole life and still get paid the same?

I was challenging the definition of 'big name', not the amount we pay coaches (Which is the same amount as every other club. We're all bound by the same football department cap).

Yeah, and I was challenging the defeatist notion we’re some pathetic minnow that can’t compete for quality talents or high profile figures, or pay them as OGC claimed, so have to resort to rifling through country leagues bargain bins who wouldn’t get a gig anywhere else.

Only three people on that list are/were genuinely big names with no existing ties to the club. It is harder for us to attract talent because we're based in SA. Why would a coach come here when they could go to the club down the road, not have to move their whole life and still get paid the same?

This is borderline gish gallopy, but Burgess, ties or not, had a reputation as a world class fitness guru and his return to the club in 2013 — like Walsh in 2014 — was considered an absolute coup.

Laidley was very much considered a coup at the time, bolstering Williams’ coaches box after Walsh left for West Coast, fresh from leaving the senior role at North Melbourne.

Schofield, ties or not, had just coached an undefeated WAFL premiership and was considered a senior in waiting.

And so on and so forth.

Spoof Faletic

Residentialły tied to West Torrens by the SANFL recruiting boundaries, Faletic made his league football debut in 1971. After reaching his 150th milestone at Thebarton, the path to Port Adelaide opened from a fall-out with West Torrens coach, the legendary Neil Kerley.

"I had a verbal contract with 'Kerls' and he did not honour it," Faletic recalled. "It was not about money. You did not get a lot of money with footy in those days. But I had my back up. I'd been pushed around long enough."

Even when Kerley mellowed in his stance, it was too late. Faletic went back to soccer.

"From blue and gold at West Torrens to blue and gold at USC Lion in State league soccer," said Faletic. "And then came the call from Sandy Virgo, who had been secretary at West Torrens and was assistant secretary to Bob McLean at Port Adelaide.

"Sandy said, 'Come to Port Adelaide'.

Spoof Faletic

Residentialły tied to West Torrens by the SANFL recruiting boundaries, Faletic made his league football debut in 1971. After reaching his 150th milestone at Thebarton, the path to Port Adelaide opened from a fall-out with West Torrens coach, the legendary Neil Kerley.

"I had a verbal contract with 'Kerls' and he did not honour it," Faletic recalled. "It was not about money. You did not get a lot of money with footy in those days. But I had my back up. I'd been pushed around long enough."

Even when Kerley mellowed in his stance, it was too late. Faletic went back to soccer.

"From blue and gold at West Torrens to blue and gold at USC Lion in State league soccer," said Faletic. "And then came the call from Sandy Virgo, who had been secretary at West Torrens and was assistant secretary to Bob McLean at Port Adelaide.

Was a good read that.

Although the last paragraph was a bit off, with Rucci trying to shoehorn the 'new' club mantra of 'growing beyond the Alberton postcode' into the story. The story itself tells you that Port has never been ONLY those who grew up in the area. Players came from all over, including some of our best and brightest.

Was a good read that.

Although the last paragraph was a bit off, with Rucci trying to shoehorn the 'new' club mantra of 'growing beyond the Alberton postcode' into the story. The story itself tells you that Port has never been ONLY those who grew up in the area. Players came from all over, including some of our best and brightest.
The bit that stood out to me was Faletic mentioning how great the administration was back in the day. A far cry from now.

Was a good read that.

These stories of the players I grew up watching are fascinating. And what a different time, Faletic was going to play soccer rather than play for Torrens.

I remember when he was finally cleared to Port, Jack watched him train and his first comment was "He's not very quick is he?" He could play football though.

As I recall, Bob McLean pulled a swifty with his clearance because Torrens didn't release him until after the 30 June deadline in 1978. That meant he shouldn't have been eligible to play that year but Bob had put him on our active playing list before the deadline so he qualified.

I might not be remembering that correctly but it was definitely something a bit dodgy.

Spoof Faletic

He was pathetic before Pittman was a thing.

For emphasis, Fos Williams crossed from Westies a tick under 74 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From that Milan Faletic story;

"And I keep touch with the club. There is always a premiership reunion. I walked into Adelaide Oval for a premiership reunion last year ... to be greeted by blokes who were from five or six premiership teams. That's what defines Port Adelaide, isn't it? Premierships."

There is a whole lot of players - over 130 since the 2004 draft - who will never experience this. Our administrators/board don't seem to fully understand this.

The day we took pity on Woodville and kicked 30 points to restrict the margin to 75. Mercy, 1980 Port Adelaide style. (10 points rushed, don't see that every day)

These stories of the players I grew up watching are fascinating. And what a different time, Faletic was going to play soccer rather than play for Torrens.

I remember when he was finally cleared to Port, Jack watched him train and his first comment was "He's not very quick is he?" He could play football though.

As I recall, Bob McLean pulled a swifty with his clearance because Torrens didn't release him until after the 30 June deadline in 1978. That meant he shouldn't have been eligible to play that year but Bob had put him on our active playing list before the deadline so he qualified.

I might not be remembering that correctly but it was definitely something a bit dodgy.
Ahh. Big Bob.
Now THERE'S an administrator 🤪👍😎

The day we took pity on Woodville and kicked 30 points to restrict the margin to 75. Mercy, 1980 Port Adelaide style. (10 points rushed, don't see that every day)

B1AF24E6-5302-43EE-A461-99D11B9EF806.jpeg

Weird how they’ve included a headline from May 1964

THE Port Adelaide Football Club congratulates past player Che Cockatoo-Collins on his induction into the Queensland Football Hall of Fame.

they couldn't think of an adjective so they just didn't use one?

"boy... this year sure has been... a year! and there's still more!"

they couldn't think of an adjective so they just didn't use one?

"boy... this year sure has been... a year! and there's still more!"

Out of all of the years in the history of the PAFC, this has certainly been one of them.

'More to come'

must GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back