Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Was a disappointing night all round.

You want to see a player do it right, look at Tom Barrass.

That bloke is all class. Respect and gratitude to the club in his speech. Hawthorn are getting a true leader on top of his on field ability.

Instead you get a guy walk up to the stage half cut, try to make a couple of quips and walk away sheepishly.

Amazing what these nights tell you about the characters of players that you don’t normally see just watching them on the field.
I’m willing to cut him some slack. I’m sure he regretted it the next day but I don’t think we should question his character.

Jesus christ you lot, it was a poor speech, but the carry on in here is embarrassing. Sure he could have done better but the whole night was a shit show.

He's a footballer not a politician.
I'd rather listen to a drunk Baker than most politicians, tbf.

Jesus christ you lot, it was a poor speech, but the carry on in here is embarrassing. Sure he could have done better but the whole night was a shit show.

The "I'll enjoy watching you guys from somewhere else" was pretty hilarious and absolutely terrible though. Even understanding what he was TRYING to say.

Man must have watched that the next morning and died of embarrassment

The "I'll enjoy watching you guys from somewhere else" was pretty hilarious and absolutely terrible though. Even understanding what he was TRYING to say.

Yup, you get what he was trying to say with that comment for sure. There’s no way he’d be rubbing our noses in it with in him going off and playing for West Coast that’s for sure. Now if he said that and made his intentions of going to Freo, I’d probably be a little disgruntled.

Haha yep, would love his time to again to say what he meant with some level of clarity haha

Surely we include hawks future first instead of 13 in the deal. It’s definitely worth less.

It isn’t definitely worth anything.

Do you think anyone expected we would miss the finals in 2013? Crows would finish bottom 4 this year?

Except neither of those sides was going from a bottom 6 draw to a top 6 draw.

No way they are certainties to do better than this year. They may. But I’d rather keep their F1 to be honest. Risk is worth the possible reward.

For this exercise I'm going to assume that the trade for Barrass will end up being pick 13 + F1st for Barrass plus F2nd.
I'm also assuming that Bolton nets Richmond picks 9 and 16 (pick 16 is incidental to the trades proposed and shall be retained by Richmond) and that Rioli nets Richmond pick 6 plus something else (the something else is incidental to the trades proposed and shall be retained by Richmond).

On our Board Obeanie1 mentioned a possible trade that is somewhat paletable:
West Coast give up Pick 3 + Hawk's F1st (assuming we acquire it) for pick 6 + pick 9 + Liam Baker.

I suspect that this offer is not going to be quite enough for Richmond so I've devised two offers which might be satisfactory to both parties:

1st trade option:
West Coast give
= Pick 3 (current selection) + Hawk's F1st (Barrass trade) + pick 23 (current selection)
Richmond give = Pick 6 (Rioli trade) + pick 9 (Bolton trade) + pick 29 (current selection) + Liam Baker

This would effectively end up with West Coast having pick 6, 9, 13 and 29 in this years draft having lost both their 2nd rounder this year and their 2nd rounder next year to Hawthorn (Hawthorn's F1st) but gained a mid 2nd rounder from Richmond (pick 29).
Richmond would have picks 1, 3, 16 (maybe included in the Bolton trade?), 21 and 23 in this years draft whilst gaining another first rounder next year as well. They may also receive something more from Gold Coast for Rioli, which would also be included in their draft haul.

2nd trade option (assuming Richmond trade pick 29 to Brisbane for pick 18):
West Coast give
= Pick 3 (current selection) + Pick 13 (Barrass trade) + Hawk's F1st (Barrass trade)
Richmond give = Pick 6 (Rioli trade) + pick 9 (Bolton trade) + pick 21 (current selection) + Liam Baker

This would effectively end up with West Coast having pick 6, 9, 21 and 23 in this years draft but having lost their 2nd rounder next year to Hawthorn.
Richmond would have picks 1, 3, 13, 16 (maybe from the Bolton trade as well?) and 18 in this years draft whilst gaining another first rounder for next year as well (Hawthorn's F1st). They may also receive something more from Gold Coast for Rioli, which would also be included in their draft haul.

In this 2nd trade scenario West Coast might try and receive an additional third rounder (either pick 41 or 47) from Richmond just so we're not completely out of the third round this year.

I must stress that I don't love either of these options for West Coast but I can see how it might achieve something satisfactory for both clubs. West Coast improve the overall number of early draft picks this year whilst still retaining the option of players like Lalor/Langford/Smillie available to them at pick 6 and then Travaglia at pick 9 (subject to Saints priority pick, where the Saints may take Travaglia at if they receive Band 1 compensation for Battle, otherwise I think there's a very good chance of Travaglia being available at pick 9).
Following which they would either have selections at picks 13 (Lindsey/Berry/Taura) and 29 (Barrat/Gerreyn) or picks 21 (Oliver/Hynes) and 23 (Oliver/Moraes/Gerreyn/Davis).

Whereas Richmond are then in a position to take both Smith and O'Sullivan at this years draft, upgrade one of their 2nd rounders this year (either to the top of the 2nd round or even into the mid-first round in scenario 2). They would retain pick 16 and whatever else they received from Gold Coast.
They also get a future first selection attached to Hawthorn which, in my estimations, is likely to be worth between picks 8-16.

3rd trade option (completely left-field assuming that Bolton is happy to come to us):
West Coast give
= Pick 3 (current selection) + Pick 13 (Barrass trade) + Hawk's F1st (Barrass trade)
Richmond give = Pick 6 (Rioli trade) + Shai Bolton + Liam Baker

This is a trade proposed just for the fun of it. I think Bolton would be a great asset for us. I doubt we'd offer this, but it is at least an interesting concept considering what we'd offer to satisfy Richmond should Bolton nominate us instead of Fremantle. Bolton IMO is almost certainly going to Fremantle.

Last edited:

Agreed, hysteria about a bad speech is a bit over the top...

Footballer in his 20s has drinks at his end of season work party and isn't a great public speaker... "WHAT A SCUMBAG!!"

1st trade option:
West Coast give = Pick 3 (current selection) + Hawk's F1st (Barrass trade) + pick 23 (current selection)
Richmond give = Pick 6 (Rioli trade) + pick 9 (Bolton trade) + pick 29 (current selection) + Liam Baker

This would effectively end up with West Coast having.
haha what the ****ing ****? You want us to give you pick 9 AND Baker for a couple of minor pick upgrades plus a likely late 1st? 😂

Stopped reading after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back