Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Bit of delusion in here from some Eagles fans thinking he'll cost a 2nd rounder. Baker has been one of the Tiges best over the last couple of years and he's only 26. You gotta give something for him, at least multiple 2nd round picks, or a first round pick, or a player and a 2nd rounder. West Coast also can't just go the "we'll walk him to the PSD" hardball negotiation tactic this year, with the Tiges and North finishing below them.
We're in a rebuild. We don't have to give anything for him. We could just use the picks, being the prudent thing to do. Don't confuse Richmond's value with West Coast's value.

We're in a rebuild. We don't have to give anything for him. We could just use the picks, being the prudent thing to do. Don't confuse Richmond's value with West Coast's value.

You do have to give something for him if you want him. You guys need anything and everything you can get, picks or players. And if he and Bolton have both indicated they want to get traded to West Coast, right after your new coach (their former assistant coach) is announced, makes me think both players and club are keen, not a one way street. If you fumble this it could set you back in terms of player manager opinion and also future trade prospects.

You do have to give something for him if you want him. You guys need anything and everything you can get, picks or players. And if he and Bolton have both indicated they want to get traded to West Coast, right after your new coach (their former assistant coach) is announced, makes me think both players and club are keen, not a one way street. If you fumble this it could set you back in terms of player manager opinion and also future trade prospects.
A first round pick for a 27 year old role player that averages less than 20 disposals a game, has low disposal efficiency and for a young rebuilding side?

Sign me up!

A first round pick for a 27 year old role player that averages less than 20 disposals a game, has low disposal efficiency and for a young rebuilding side?

Sign me up!
Baker is also out of contract. We shouldn't be offering more than our F2 for him. Any first rounder we have will be better spent on the future.

And don't even start on Bolton. He is NOT the kind of player West Coast needs right now, at any price.

A St.Kilda supporter chiming in from their ivory tower after being gifted a very good first round pick for a middling player, preaching about paying fair value. Easy from that position I suppose.

Even worse, a Geelong supporter, doing the same but in a less eloquent way. A club who works the system and clubs over more than anyone else. Playing fair value card - Sheesh!!!

Last edited:
Bit of delusion in here from some Eagles fans thinking he'll cost a 2nd rounder. Baker has been one of the Tiges best over the last couple of years and he's only 26. You gotta give something for him, at least multiple 2nd round picks, or a first round pick, or a player and a 2nd rounder. West Coast also can't just go the "we'll walk him to the PSD" hardball negotiation tactic this year, with the Tiges and North finishing below them.
Hes worth a late 1st/early 2nd, then hes OOC so we 100% should not pay overs. Richmond dont have all the leverage here.
If we had pick 20 and we paid that, thatd be fine, but we are 100% not in a position to pay slight overs for a guy just to satisfy another club.
23+f2 for Baker+29 would be about right in satisfying both clubs imo, but we should be pushing for better as we are competing in the rebuild

Baker's value is what he adds to a team filled with stars. He'll do the 1 percenters that the likes of Martin or Bolton won't do.

I just don't think he adds the same value to West Coast who are going to struggle most weeks and finish close to the bottom again. He would have been perfect at Fremantle.

Baker's value is what he adds to a team filled with stars. He'll do the 1 percenters that the likes of Martin or Bolton won't do.

I just don't think he adds the same value to West Coast who are going to struggle most weeks and finish close to the bottom again. He would have been perfect at Fremantle.
There's certainly value in getting a guy like that in to show the kids good habits. Early GWS, Hodge to Brisbane and Cousins to Richmond (football, not off field) come to mind. But is that quality worth a first round pick?

Is this you busting out the kerr-azy before you escalate to your kerr-ate??? ****in hell you'd think after like 10 wins over the last 3 years you guys would just be glad there's some players willing to come to your club that would immediately improve your side. You guys gave up like 17 1st round picks for Tim Kelly, now you won't budge on more than a 2nd rounder for someone in a different role but probably on a similar level of quality?
-A role player
-Less than 20 touches a game average
-Low disposal efficiency
-Out of contract
-27 years old in a side rebuilding

So first round pick? How do you value Liam Duggan? Literally the exact same type of player. Wouldn't fetch more than a mid second.

This isn't rocket science...

We targetted him because we know he wont cost a first rounder. to be honest. A team who will get a top 3 pick and has a 2nd rounder as its next pick has zero plans on trading a first rounder for a guy... especially knowing we targetted Baker well before Barrass made his intentions clear.

Pick 26 + overpaying for Graham to get Richmond pick 22 is the deal here. Both sides know this is the case. It should be the easiest deal done all trade week in all honesty

AFL.com.au now have us trading pick 3 to get a lower pick than 13 for Baker. Slowly but surely we getting to that “Harley Reid for Liam Baker straight swap seems fair. If we look at the stats for last season” type conversations

No problems, future second and one of Jai Culley or Jack Petruccelle.

AFL.com.au now have us trading pick 3 to get a lower pick than 13 for Baker. Slowly but surely we getting to that “Harley Reid for Liam Baker straight swap seems fair. If we look at the stats for last season” type conversations
That's not how I read that latest article.

I read it as pick 13 for Barrass will come to us for Baker but Eagles are also considering trading out pick 3 for more draft picks.

What price are the eagles willing to swap pick 3 though? clearly one of those picks will need to be reasonably high enough and I'm guessing the next pick they would be hoping is atleast a top 20 pick.

Do Saints trade pick 7 & 8. Not sure Saints would do that as your giving up nearly 1,000 points. So IMO that's way overs, the Eagles however would jump at that.

Next best might be Essendon with pick 9 & F1st? However not sure how bombers match a bid for Kako if that happens.

GWS have a few late first rounders but Eagles will definitely want a top 10 pick as one of those so GWS would have to trade up.

The only other team with decent picks will be us and Eagles would be eyeing off our pick 6 for Rioli. So if we trade Baker for 13 then if I was Richmond I'd be keep that trade seperate for any trade for pick 3.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read it as pick 13 for Barrass will come to us for Baker but Eagles are also considering trading out pick 3 for more draft picks.

What price are the eagles willing to swap pick 3 though? clearly one of those picks will need to be reasonably high enough and I'm guessing the next pick they would be hoping is atleast a top 20 pick.

Do Saints trade pick 7 & 8. Not sure Saints would do that as your giving up nearly 1,000 points. So IMO that's way overs, the Eagles however would jump at that.

Next best might be Essendon with pick 9 & F1st? However not sure how bombers match a bid for Kako if that happens.

GWS have a few late first rounders but Eagles will definitely want a top 10 pick as one of those so GWS would have to trade up.

The only other team with decent picks will be us and Eagles would be eyeing off our pick 6 for Rioli. So if we trade Baker for 13 then if I was Richmond I'd be keep that trade seperate for any trade for pick 3.
AFL.com.au going that whole pick 3 plus for pick 7 and 8 and Eagles giving you pick 8 for sure…..

There are three teams that could satisfy West Coast for pick 3; Saints and GWS as you’ve said, and Richmond being the other. However, we would need the Rioli deal to go through and possibly the Bolton deal to go first to have the capital to go back to West Coast.

I think 7 & 8 for 3 plus a second rounder would be the Saints’ asking price. West Coast unlikely would want to give up their own second (and their F2 possibly going to Hawks). I think they’ll chase one of Richmond’s two/three second rounders (assuming that Graham signs with Eagles and AFL give a second round pick in consolation). I do think that the Baker deal will include a second round pick from Richmond to West Coast for Hawks pick this year.

Its possible that it’ll be 3 will be involved in the Baker deal, but I think that wouldnt be maximizing the asset from West Coast perspective.

GWS has a cache of picks but history says that the value of splitting a top 3 picks is a pick 4-5 pick after plus another first round pick.

The issue that West Coast may have is that North sound like a genuine chance to also split their pick; with only a finite amount of options available it may be slightly more difficult.

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

If Sydney offering 19 and 22 for 13 would they offer that for 14 which lets us give Tigers pick 19 while using 22

You might end up swapping 14 for Baker & getting 25 back from the Tigers anyway.

There are three teams that could satisfy West Coast for pick 3; Saints and GWS as you’ve said, and Richmond being the other. However, we would need the Rioli deal to go through and possibly the Bolton deal to go first to have the capital to go back to West Coast.

I think 7 & 8 for 3 plus a second rounder would be the Saints’ asking price. West Coast unlikely would want to give up their own second (and their F2 possibly going to Hawks). I think they’ll chase one of Richmond’s two/three second rounders (assuming that Graham signs with Eagles and AFL give a second round pick in consolation). I do think that the Baker deal will include a second round pick from Richmond to West Coast for Hawks pick this year.

Its possible that it’ll be 3 will be involved in the Baker deal, but I think that wouldnt be maximizing the asset from West Coast perspective.

GWS has a cache of picks but history says that the value of splitting a top 3 picks is a pick 4-5 pick after plus another first round pick.

The issue that West Coast may have is that North sound like a genuine chance to also split their pick; with only a finite amount of options available it may be slightly more difficult.
We could also deal with Gold Coast directly ourselves. I don't think Richmond will object to receiving pick 3 for Rioli.

I don't see any viable trades with GWS or Richmond seeing as the former's first pick is 15 and the best we can hope for from the latter is 3 for 6 + Baker, which wouldn't be a good use of pick 3 for us.

Best available still. Need to be more patient then just picking for list needs. For next year Duggan and others need to grow a pair and play wing

Top 8 picks at least will be Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back