Liam Jurrah being held by police -Sen

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Are you not familiar with reading an entire post? Because I also wrote this:

"If he's guilty - and that isn't proven"

Nice selective editing there.

I read what you wrote. His innocence does not need to be proved. It is presumed until his guilt is established. Not selective editing at all. It is this general misunderstanding of basic legal tenets that results in threads such as this, full of uninformed opinions and speculation which inevitably leads those with pre-conceived ideas to share them as if they are somehow fact.

If only everyone could remember that there are two sides to every story and that there is a court appointment for the case to be heard. Once that's been sorted out the majority of posters will be able to offer an INFORMED opinion.

Ok, back the ****ing truck up here just a minute.....

Melbourne players are quoted as saying, he will be back out there mid season, everything is fine he is a great bloke, yada yada yada....something about indigenous differences in culture yada yada yada.

MACHETE TO THE ****ING HEAD......

Seriously, I know he is only accused, but it is most probably on good cause....the guy put a Machete in the head of somebody else. How can we possibly be justifying these actions under any circumstances. Somebody has been attacked - with most likely intent to kill - by having A MACHETE LODGED IN THERE HEAD.

FFS, I am a big Jurrah football fan, but i'm sorry. He should not be back training right now and should be under close supervision by the police and all associated. If he is up on such a severe case of intended murder, then a line has to be drawn - who knows what he is capable if put under pressures within a Melbourne based environment. This is inexcusable and the MFC need to take some accountability and keep this guy out of the office (so to speak). No cultural background excuses, this is a case of such extreme violence...i can't believe people are being so casual about this.

People....>MACHETE TO THE HEAD.

^^^^^ The guy had 6 stitches. I had more stitches in my finger when i was 7 and accidentally cut myself with a knife.

Why don't you wait for the real story, rather from what has come from the mouth of Basil Jurrah whose side of the family has had a feud against Liams for nearly 2 years now.

Oh so he got his charged changed to convicted murder and then got sentenced, all while I was going home from work... Tell you what the court system is quick now days

Ok, back the ****ing truck up here just a minute.....

Melbourne players are quoted as saying, he will be back out there mid season, everything is fine he is a great bloke, yada yada yada....something about indigenous differences in culture yada yada yada.

MACHETE TO THE ****ING HEAD......

Seriously, I know he is only accused, but it is most probably on good cause....the guy put a Machete in the head of somebody else. How can we possibly be justifying these actions under any circumstances. Somebody has been attacked - with most likely intent to kill - by having A MACHETE LODGED IN THERE HEAD.

FFS, I am a big Jurrah football fan, but i'm sorry. He should not be back training right now and should be under close supervision by the police and all associated. If he is up on such a severe case of intended murder, then a line has to be drawn - who knows what he is capable if put under pressures within a Melbourne based environment. This is inexcusable and the MFC need to take some accountability and keep this guy out of the office (so to speak). No cultural background excuses, this is a case of such extreme violence...i can't believe people are being so casual about this.

People....>MACHETE TO THE HEAD.

There are so many incorrect statements in that post I don't even know where to start.

What are the facts?

There is a guy in hospital who says he was attacked by a Machete/Axe wielding pair one of which was Jurrah, whom he has specifically named. The police took him in and released him on bail, therefore there is some serious implications straight up and he has not been acquitted of the alleged crime. Doesn't matter what injuries were sustained, its pretty severe and I would like to think that anybody who has been involved in a violent incident like this would be under some serious supervision and kept away from the spotlight for awhile.

I would have thought there was a duty of care by the AFL and MFC to the general members of society to ensure his case is adequately dealt given the serious nature of the allegations. Would any other member of society who has been accused of wielding a machete in a violent attack be able to resume work within a week? Maybe i'm way off here.....am happy to admit, no, i would be stoked if my facts are completely wrong and he has been absolved of any involvement in this incident.

To me, this wreak of - he is a footballer, different rules apply, lets find some form of excuse to make this situation more plausible. I doubt the same courtesies are extended to others on such serious allegations.....

he has not been acquitted of the alleged crime.

In Australia you are actually innocent until proven guilty. So far the only thing proven is that he was out drunk whilst in rehabilitation which he will be punished for.

IF Jurrah is found guilty of the alleged crime, then he will be dealt with by the law and his place of employment.

What are the facts?

There is a guy in hospital who says he was attacked by a Machete/Axe wielding pair one of which was Jurrah, whom he has specifically named. The police took him in and released him on bail, therefore there is some serious implications straight up and he has not been acquitted of the alleged crime. Doesn't matter what injuries were sustained, its pretty severe and I would like to think that anybody who has been involved in a violent incident like this would be under some serious supervision and kept away from the spotlight for awhile.

I would have thought there was a duty of care by the AFL and MFC to the general members of society to ensure his case is adequately dealt given the serious nature of the allegations. Would any other member of society who has been accused of wielding a machete in a violent attack be able to resume work within a week? Maybe i'm way off here.....am happy to admit, no, i would be stoked if my facts are completely wrong and he has been absolved of any involvement in this incident.

To me, this wreak of - he is a footballer, different rules apply, lets find some form of excuse to make this situation more plausible. I doubt the same courtesies are extended to others on such serious allegations.....

Based on media accounts alone, you are treating third hand allegations, from one side only (the victim's), as "facts". They are not facts, they are allegations, and much of it is untested hearsay. Ever thought that the alleged victim may have motives for overplaying the incident (such as a compensation claim)? This is why we have cross-examination, and why only reliable evidence gets accepted at trial.

Also, since when did the AFL or any single club become responsible for "ensuring" a criminal allegation was "adequately dealt" with? There is a thing called a criminal justice system, and a presumption of innocence, how about you let them take their course, instead of blaming the AFL before you even know the facts?

As to the bits in purple, the bail laws applied in this case are the same as are applied in every other case of alleged assault in the NT, and elsewhere in Australia, to persons of any profession, wealth, race, religion or political viewpoint. Magistrates and police prosecutors in the NT have a very regular exposure (unfortunately) to the sorts of assault that is alleged to have occurred here, and the bail outcome in this case is no different to that in scores of other similar cases that happen every year.

Jurrah has had no "different rules" applied, and certainly doesn't need the AFL, Melbourne, or any of the Big Footy legends to be "ensuring his case is adequately dealt with".

He is already subject to some of the strictest bail conditions there are, including being banned from entering a specified area (the NT), reporting regularly to police, and not contacting specified people.

Have a read of the lists in the criminal courts - or even better (since, like many Australians, you have limited knowledge of how the basics of criminal law actually works outside of media reports) go down to your local Magistrates Court for a few hearings. Apart from getting a better sense of just how hard a job all sides in the criminal justice system have, you'll also quickly see that, even without legal representation, many people get bail for quite serious criminal allegations, especially where the accused:
  • has not obstructed investigations or been abusive to police;
  • has no prior serious criminal record;
  • is not in breach of current parole or bail conditions;
  • has a reliable job;
  • has surety that can be arranged; and
  • is willing to submit to bail conditions nominated by police, such as staying away from witnesses, residing at certain nominated places, avoiding drugs, alcohol etc, and/or regularly reporting to police.
Also, as I understand it, police did not oppose bail. In serious cases of violence, such as GBH, attempted murder, or murder this is much less likely. Even in serious cases such as attempted murder, bail is not uncommon, especially if the conditions listed above are met. Remand is a last resort (just like a jail sentence), not an automatic first step.

Take a chill pill, calm down, stop accusing people of getting special deals, and let the court case wind its way through the system.

No, actual opinion. I'm sorry not to be all PC.:rolleyes:

Your attitude is symptomatic of all that is wrong with addressing Aboriginal issues.

Pretend there isn't a problem and just let it continue. Blame everyone else but the person who indulges in the antisocial behavior.

No, you have no idea of my attitude to aboriginal people. I am only moderating this FOOTBALL Forum; I have no patience for reading your off-topic posts nor your feeble attempts to draw me in. Understand?

Because it's oversubscribed with people like you with an unrealistic view on racism.
I would realistically presume that if your username is what it is then you would identify with it. In my case the 38 is relevant and my name is Ted.
By the way I have an Indigenous connection, have you? However, that is of no relevance to this thread just like most of your contributions to it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143100443&page=1

Read that thread. Actually go on that website and look at any thread talking about 'aboriginals' and it will all be the same. Aussies arent racist though their just joking...

Ji
Based on media accounts alone, you are treating third hand allegations, from one side only (the victim's), as "facts". They are not facts, they are allegations, and much of it is untested hearsay. Ever thought that the alleged victim may have motives for overplaying the incident (such as a compensation claim)? This is why we have cross-examination, and why only reliable evidence gets accepted at trial.

Also, since when did the AFL or any single club become responsible for "ensuring" a criminal allegation was "adequately dealt" with? There is a thing called a criminal justice system, and a presumption of innocence, how about you let them take their course, instead of blaming the AFL before you even know the facts?

As to the bits in purple, the bail laws applied in this case are the same as are applied in every other case of alleged assault in the NT, and elsewhere in Australia, to persons of any profession, wealth, race, religion or political viewpoint. Magistrates and police prosecutors in the NT have a very regular exposure (unfortunately) to the sorts of assault that is alleged to have occurred here, and the bail outcome in this case is no different to that in scores of other similar cases that happen every year.

Jurrah has had no "different rules" applied, and certainly doesn't need the AFL, Melbourne, or any of the Big Footy legends to be "ensuring his case is adequately dealt with".

He is already subject to some of the strictest bail conditions there are, including being banned from entering a specified area (the NT), reporting regularly to police, and not contacting specified people.

Have a read of the lists in the criminal courts - or even better (since, like many Australians, you have limited knowledge of how the basics of criminal law actually works outside of media reports) go down to your local Magistrates Court for a few hearings. Apart from getting a better sense of just how hard a job all sides in the criminal justice system have, you'll also quickly see that, even without legal representation, many people get bail for quite serious criminal allegations, especially where the accused:
  • has not obstructed investigations or been abusive to police;
  • has no prior serious criminal record;
  • is not in breach of current parole or bail conditions;
  • has a reliable job;
  • has surety that can be arranged; and
  • is willing to submit to bail conditions nominated by police, such as staying away from witnesses, residing at certain nominated places, avoiding drugs, alcohol etc, and/or regularly reporting to police.
Also, as I understand it, police did not oppose bail. In serious cases of violence, such as GBH, attempted murder, or murder this is much less likely. Even in serious cases such as attempted murder, bail is not uncommon, especially if the conditions listed above are met. Remand is a last resort (just like a jail sentence), not an automatic first step.

Take a chill pill, calm down, stop accusing people of getting special deals, and let the court case wind its way through the system.
Happy to be corrected, certainly dont need a chill pill.
I do believe the criminal justice system will take its course and the strict conditions of bail are justification alone that the system is treating the case very seriously. Innocent until proven guilty and the courts are dealing with it as they would any other case. I still question the club and AFL on not imposing stricter conditions or at least a wait periodon his return given the nature of allegations...if they are privy to further information than it has not been released. Still, the media and. fan response surrounding the defence of Jurrah seems to.offer many excuses for.violence without condemning the acts themselves. I just find this part very hard to tolerate. This is where the courtesies of being a football player are extende, a large proportion of media and fans are very quick to offer excuses, but if it was another accusation based on a machete weilding non footballer would.they be so.understanding? Perhaps the whole.issue is extensively overblown and i hope so, but if there is any truth to it and Jurrah has gone and attacked somebody with a machete then there is simply no excuse and he should be universally condemmed for.his actions with no excuses to be made on his behalf.

Ji
I do believe the criminal justice system will take its course and the strict conditions of bail are justification alone that the system is treating the case very seriously. Innocent until proven guilty and the courts are dealing with it as they would any other case. I still question the club and AFL on not imposing stricter conditions or at least a wait periodon his return given the nature of allegations...if they are privy to further information than it has not been released. Still, the media and. fan response surrounding the defence of Jurrah seems to.offer many excuses for.violence without condemning the acts themselves. I just find this part very hard to tolerate. This is where the courtesies of being a football player are extende, a large proportion of media and fans are very quick to offer excuses, but if it was another accusation based on a machete weilding non footballer would.they be so.understanding? Perhaps the whole.issue is extensively overblown and i hope so, but if there is any truth to it and Jurrah has gone and attacked somebody with a machete then there is simply no excuse and he should be universally condemmed for.his actions with no excuses to be made on his behalf.

And he will be sentenced accordingly if he is found guilty as charged.

Any chance of a paragraph or two??

Your posts are like reading a bowl of alphabet soup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ji
Still, the media and. fan response surrounding the defence of Jurrah seems to.offer many excuses for.violence without condemning the acts themselves.

At the moment, there are no acts to condemn. Innocent till proven guilty means just that. Nothing is proven to have happened until it's proven to have happened.

How is mine an ignorant post ?:confused:
Are you denying that alcoholism and substance abuse is not an issue for Aboriginals in remote/rural communities?
Or violence and sexual assault for that matter ?

Yes or No please.

To recognize ignorance you might need to reread your posts and try to look at what you said intelligently, then you would have to ask yourself, preferably while looking in the mirror, do I really believe that shit i wrote, if you do you are ignorant, if not you are on the way to intelligence.....

^^^^^ The guy had 6 stitches. I had more stitches in my finger when i was 7 and accidentally cut myself with a knife.

Why don't you wait for the real story, rather from what has come from the mouth of Basil Jurrah whose side of the family has had a feud against Liams for nearly 2 years now.

This is a terrible post,

So by your reasoning, six stitches does not constitute a crime. :rolleyes:

The real story may well have been told, and the reason he is pleading not guilty, may be due to the fact he doesn't remember committing the act.
If this is the case then his lawyer must direct him to plead not guilty.

Did you know Liam's side of the family, has been feuding against Basil for nearly 2 years now.

Anyway, I can't see Jurrah kicking a ball in anger until after the court case, as he builds up his fitness level, required to compete on match day.

I am sure melbourne will impose the necessary sanctions, if it is proved he has been on the piss during rehab. No real biggie, as for the other matters, well the courts will decide on that.

Time will tell if we see Jurrah play for Melbourne again.

This is a terrible post,

No, and your comprehension skills are absolutely deplorable.

Basil Jurrah's story of being attacked with an axe/ machete CLEARLY do not match the injuries he received.

A crime still may have been committed, but before you go alleging all over the shop that Jurrah stuck an axe/ machete in someones head I would wait for the full story.

That clear enough for ya bud?

This is a terrible post,

No,
A crime still may have been committed, but before you go alleging all over the shop that Jurrah stuck an axe/ machete in someones head I would wait for the full story.

Clear as mud :thumbsu:

Ji

...I just don't get it. Bernie Vince is in strife coz he sang a song in his boxers drinking a beer.....Nathan Bock was roundly castigated - and rightly so - for assaulting his girlfriend and her handbag - now we have a guy who from all reports and an eye witness account takes to someone with an axe - and we make excuses??????????????????????

surely the thoughts are that his likeliness to re-offend in melbourne (where he more or less has to stay, can't go back there now) is next to zero. dealing with the charges themselves will come with the fullness of time.

No, and your comprehension skills are absolutely deplorable.

Basil Jurrah's story of being attacked with an axe/ machete CLEARLY do not match the injuries he received.

You can't say they categorically don't match the injuries he received.

Someone could fire a rifle at your head and graze you. You might need a band-aid to put on the graze.

Does the injury received actually mirror the potential for serious damage caused by the bullet?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...jurrah-5000-20120314-1v3kl.html#ixzz1p67UwhRy

Liam Jurrah is expected to be fined $5000 and given a new intensive training program ...primarily for drinking while in rehabilitation.

The punishments are not in relation to the charges Jurrah faces or have anything to do with the offences he was alleged to have committed.

It is understood Melbourne considered a suspension pointless as Jurrah, who has had wrist surgery, was unlikely to play before mid-season even before the latest incidents occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back