Rumour Libba the party animal

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again I disagree slightly

I think we hide to many people behind so called mental issues these days

My god lately every third person has depression these days. Kids with ADHD. OCD and blah blah.

We like to label everyone when you know what, there are just a lot of really negative, weird, crazy and just plain arrogant people in the world.

Sure there are many legitimate people with real issues but why does everyone who is 100% happy with rainbows shining out their a$$es depressed or sick??

Me? I'm just a grumpy old prick who can't deal with brain dead morons and has no patience for a lot of things so label away boys but in the end I think I deserve one label ..... A$$hole
I'm not sure what you disagree with, I didn't really give an opinion on this. Addiction is physical as well as mental, in fact some research suggests it may be mostly physical.

I'm not sure what you disagree with, I didn't really give an opinion on this. Addiction is physical as well as mental, in fact some research suggests it may be mostly physical.

I disagree that a people who become addicts need to be treated as mental issues not criminals.

We pander to people who are on drugs like ice that then go out and hurt other people because they are "mentally" not well.

Garbage! They decided to take ice. They made that decision so f$ck them and punish them(help them while you do) but punish them as we would anyone else.

I disagree that a people who become addicts need to be treated as mental issues not criminals.

We pander to people who are on drugs like ice that then go out and hurt other people because they are "mentally" not well.

Garbage! They decided to take ice. They made that decision so f$ck them and punish them(help them while you do) but punish them as we would anyone else.
Health issue, not just mental health.
Who's suggesting we let people get away with violent crime? Of course you punish them.
Decriminalization doesn't mean people get a free pass on anything but their drug taking.

I believe drugs are a health and education issue not a legal one. That's all I have to say about that in this forum.

I also believe if Lib had signed a doco with his employer saying he won't drink and take drugs, then he shouldn't.

That's all there really is to say.

Sorry Stefoid I can't believe what you have just written. Alcohol is legal, illicit drugs are illegal. I dont understand what you are suggesting at all. If my kids had that attitude toward drugs I would be extremely disappointed and angry. I am extremely angry at Bennell, Liberatore, Cousins and Kerr. These guys have had opportunities to be good citizens, to be good examples for so many.
In the case of these four they would have been paid in the highest 25% percentile yet they still insist on not showing a bit of self sacrifice just for a cheap buzz.
You look at our national netballers or hockey players, they still have the pressures of selection and high performance neccessity thrown at them. You don't see any of them going off the rails and they aren't paid much at all.
The dedication to their sport is as great in fact I would argue greater than high paid athletes in AFL.
The book should be thrown at any drug taker. If that means Libba, bad luck. He can eff off.
I'm sick of our soft attitude toward drugs.

Mate all I'm saying is that if you are using a substance, whether it be alcohol, drugs or tobacco, it does not mean you are abusing it.

The vast majority of people who drink don't have a problem in anyway other than enjoying a sip.

and this can also be said for the vast majority that use recreational drugs(ice not included), so does someone who simply experiments on an odd occasion need help? I'm my opinion no good luck to them i say enjoy your life anyway you want it's none of my business.

Clearly there are many people who need help and I'm not referring to them but if people honestly think a kid who is injured and not going to play for a year and is having some fun, as he has from day one in the AFL, then I just think differently.

Sure the club has to come out and go tut tut naughty boy but do you think the swans really care about Franklins partying? As long as he keeps getting a kick they couldn't give a sh!t.

let people live their lives and stop tryin to tie everyone up and make them the same, they arnt. Help people who have issues but leave those that don't alone it's really none of our business even if the Woman's Day thinks it is

Talk about complete glibness
If he keeps travelling the same path he'll have a short career.
All good at his age, but excessive partying and breaking team rules, and it will catch up with him. We all bemoan " The good Ol' days" but reality is if you want good coin and it's your livelihood, then toe the line.

Talk about complete glibness
If he keeps travelling the same path he'll have a short career.
All good at his age, but excessive partying and breaking team rules, and it will catch up with him. We all bemoan " The good Ol' days" but reality is if you want good coin and it's your livelihood, then toe the line.

Yeah excessive partying really cut short these guys careers

Gary Ablett
Wayne Carey
Doug Hawkins
Ben Cousins
Daniel Kerr
Dane Swan
Buddy Franklin
Dustin Martyn

And I could go on and on

I don't bemoan the good old days I just think people should be allowed to have some bloody fun now and then regardless who they are and not have to toe the line coz some people think they deserve the right to control people

Mate all I'm saying is that if you are using a substance, whether it be alcohol, drugs or tobacco, it does not mean you are abusing it.

The vast majority of people who drink don't have a problem in anyway other than enjoying a sip.

and this can also be said for the vast majority that use recreational drugs(ice not included), so does someone who simply experiments on an odd occasion need help? I'm my opinion no good luck to them i say enjoy your life anyway you want it's none of my business.

Clearly there are many people who need help and I'm not referring to them but if people honestly think a kid who is injured and not going to play for a year and is having some fun, as he has from day one in the AFL, then I just think differently.

Sure the club has to come out and go tut tut naughty boy but do you think the swans really care about Franklins partying? As long as he keeps getting a kick they couldn't give a sh!t.

let people live their lives and stop tryin to tie everyone up and make them the same, they arnt. Help people who have issues but leave those that don't alone it's really none of our business even if the Woman's Day thinks it is
The so called 'hard stuff' is called that for a reason. Some people take a drug once and end up with psychosis for months, years or even the rest of their life. Drugs like Ice, you don't need to abuse them to ruin you and your family's lives forever. It really depends on the person and how their body reacts to these substances.

Yeah excessive partying really cut short these guys careers

Gary Ablett
Wayne Carey
Doug Hawkins
Ben Cousins
Daniel Kerr
Dane Swan
Buddy Franklin
Dustin Martyn

And I could go on and on

I don't bemoan the good old days I just think people should be allowed to have some bloody fun now and then regardless who they are and not have to toe the line coz some people think they deserve the right to control people

You missed Jono Brown who didn't mind a piss up in his man cave :D

The Herald Sun today says a current AFL star has been sent to rehab overseas ....

Reading between the lines (no pun intended)in Bev's interview yesterday, it sounds very much like it might be Libba gone to a wellness centre or the like in Thailand.

Reading between the lines (no pun intended)in Bev's interview yesterday, it sounds very much like it might be Libba gone to a wellness centre or the like in Thailand.
Luke Beverage was coy when interviewed on SEN before last nights game.
Q: Why Thailand Luke, it doesn't make sense?
A: I don't want to go into details but it's a good environment for his knee rehab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if Libba is on drugs. If I'm honest, I don't really care that much either. If he is not doing his job ie his knee rehab, then punish him...but that is as far as it should go. If Libba uses drug use as a reason for non compliance, then the club should get involved with helping him if wants it.

Still not sure why the players association even let the AFL test their players for rec drugs, the players should be able to live their own lives. Rec drug use by players in their own private time doesn't affect the safety of anyone, not like a truck driver doing speed does for instance (and OHS is the only reason for workplace drug testing).

And I couldn't give a flying f#ck if drugs are illegal or not, everyone I know has done something illegal be it creep over the speed limit, park in a no parking, etc, whether something is illegal or not does not make an argument. But the bigger argument is whether the AFL should even be looking into players' private lives and whether they use drugs. As far as I know, no other professional sporting body does this in the world. Test for PEDs by all means but what a player does in his private life has nothing to do with us, the public, or their employer (unless it impacts on their work and only then if the player uses drug use as an excuse...)

Also, I find the hypocrisy of massive coke heads in the media even commenting on drug use appalling. We know who they are.

Last edited:
Don't know if Libba is on drugs. If I'm honest, I don't really care that much either. If he is not doing his job ie his knee rehab, then punish him...but that is as far as it should go. If Libba uses drug use as a reason for non compliance, then the club should get involved with helping him if wants it.

Still not sure why the players association even let the AFL test their players for rec drugs, the players should be able to live their own lives. Rec drug use by players in their own private time doesn't affect the safety of anyone, not like a truck driver doing speed does for instance (and OHS is the only reason for workplace drug testing).

And I couldn't give a flying f#ck if drugs are illegal or not, everyone I know has done something illegal be it creep over the speed limit, park in a no parking, etc, whether something is illegal or not does not make an argument. But the bigger argument is whether the AFL should even be looking into players' private lives and whether they use drugs. As far as I know, no other professional sporting body does this in the world. Test for PEDs by all means but what a player does in his private life has nothing to do with us, the public, or their employer (unless it impacts on their work and only then if the player uses drug use as an excuse...)

Also, I find the hypocrisy of massive coke heads in the media even commenting on drug use appalling. We know who they are.

I agree with almost all of what you say here. However, as I understand it, one of the motivations behind both testing players for illicit (non-performance-enhancing) drugs and the AFL's three strike policy is (at least in part) to try and avoid a scenario where players become easy material for blackmailers: The former to discourage players from spending their time and income engaged in illegal activities, and the latter to try to ensure that if they slip up, they don't immediately face dire consequences. This sort of things is a much greater potential problem nowadays because of the massive amounts of money involved in gambling on the footy; and if it's a choice between, say, losing one's career and releasing inside details about a teammate's injury (or worse), I'd wager (pun unintended) there are few out there who would choose the former.

Perhaps if Libba is finding it all so hard with his rehab, etc. then he might need to speak to Clay Smith.... give him some perspective

I believe drugs are a health and education issue not a legal one. That's all I have to say about that in this forum.

I also believe if Lib had signed a doco with his employer saying he won't drink and take drugs, then he shouldn't.

That's all there really is to say.

Yeah, if he was told not to get on the piss or take anything that isn't prescribed and then does exactly that then it's essentially a violation of his contract. I have no doubt that frustration is building for LIbba and he wants to be playing but Clay hasn't had any such problems and he has even more right to be frustrated.

I've had a busy week and had not read any of this thread until at all and read all 8 pages in one hit.

People are focusing too much of the drug issues side of it rather than actually Libba's overall professionalism.

He's torn an ACL. I can't say that I ever have, but family members of mine have and the amount of professionalism required to make a full recovery is quite amazing. The rehabilitation, strengthening work etc. requires a lot of hard work and dedication.

Sure he might have access to services and facilities that us as amateur sportspeople would not have, but at the same time we're amateur sportspeople. We can still do our job and not play our sports anymore.

Drugs or no drugs, the morality of the law of drugs or no drugs etc. is a separate argument. Right now we have our defending B&F winner and member of our leadership team not being professional in how he's recovering from a serious injury. He's out partying, drinking, most likely still taking drugs (as an aside from the legal or moral issues of them, like I said that's a separate argument), going on to trips with his non-footy mates to Europe, etc.

It's an amazing contrast to his old man, who tore his ACL twice. The first time he did it in Round 20 of the season he won the Brownlow then was playing in Round 1 next year. The second time he came back within the same season (1998). Sure his, short and stocky frame helped his recovery, but he was the utmost professional, both times going above and beyond what he had to do for his recovery and rehabilitation.

Barrett was on radio here this morning. His comments on Libba were

1. Libba is oblivious to all the talk about him both in the media and from the club. He ignores the advice of others.
2. He is not carrying out his rehabilitation in a professional manner and is behind schedule.

If he is correct with one or both or none of these things i have no idea.

I've read the club statement and it says very little.We can assume he has missed some meetings but that's about it.Any talk of drug use is purely rumour mongering.

Put simply, alcohol creates more problems in society than illegal drugs do - research supports this assertion, and legality or social acceptance of drunkenness does not change the outcome and it remains a significant issue in this country.
Noting one problem does not somehow suggest other problems are lesser or that they do not exist - that position in itself is a logical fallacy.

Yes Mofra, and illegal drugs are the root cause of more serious problems in society than alcohol, as a qualitative measure, rather than quantitative.

I know a senior law enforcement official - violent crime related to illegal drug use causes far more deaths than those related to alcohol - armed or aggravated assaults and robberies as well.

They are both serious issues.

It's pretty simple really. Libba has to sort himself out pretty quickly, or he is going to miss out on potentially some of the greatest years in our club's history.

And if I'm honest, I find some of the flippant remarks about drug use in this thread quite disturbing.

Yes Mofra, and illegal drugs are the root cause of more serious problems in society than alcohol, as a qualitative measure, rather than quantitative.

I know a senior law enforcement official - violent crime related to illegal drug use causes far more deaths than those related to alcohol - armed or aggravated assaults and robberies as well.

They are both serious issues.
These are very chicken and the egg statements unfortunately. Socio-economic status and overall criminality interact pretty strongly with the use of certain drugs as does mental illness.
This is one of those subjects where it's very hard to make generalised statements.

I'm pretty sure sporting organisations have a responsibility to be seen to be doing something about preventing recreational use of illicit substances. It's a move to stay in the good books of the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back