Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

Apropos of nothing, sat down for some YouTube meandering and the Breaking News section on the home page has a lot about David Van from every outlet... except Sky.

Usually Sky is right there in the first few videos. Nothing today. The David Van stuff has flooded the news, and Sky has not posted a snappy video like they would if Lidia Thorpe had failed to defer to whitey over some meaningless point or other.

I wonder if their YouTube kid is off sick today?

Strongly disagree

Clearly the response to move him to another office wasn’t the appropriate response that Linda wanted , it just strange that despite this she doesn’t want to follow the allegations further for not only Vans but the other perpetrators involved so I am unsure of what response she actually wants against the alleged perpetrators

in any case it’s very clear that Parliament culture needs a clean up and changes need to be made

FFS, you're in a thread about LIDIA Thorpe, at least get her name right in your posts. I think that's 5 times now - obviously well invested in the thread!

I wont name names, you know who you are. But it kinda feels like Jeff has been posting in this thread

So Kennett doesn't understand the context that the withdrawal is a conditional procedure either. You're right, eerily similar to some earlier posting. Are you surprised though? I'm not, some people don't read, they just scan for keywords.

So when forner Liberal Senator Amanda Stoker decides to come forward to outline her own history with this guy, does that strengthen Lydia Thorpe's story or what?

Wonder what Prue McSweeney or Jeff Kennett have to say now?

FFS, you're in a thread about LIDIA Thorpe, at least get her name right in your posts. I think that's 5 times now - obviously well invested in the thread!
So when forner Liberal Senator Amanda Stoker decides to come forward to outline her own history with this guy, does that strengthen Lydia Thorpe's[/] story or what?

Wonder what Prue McSweeney or Jeff Kennett have to say now?

Off you go

quick glance at newscorp media - the albrechtson led hysteria from earlier in the week is a little more restrained this morning .... go figure

quick glance at newscorp media - the albrechtson led hysteria from earlier in the week is a little more restrained this morning .... go figure
The let women speak wing of the Liberal Party have been conspicuous in their silence here. I thought they were all about protecting women.

News are still just running the story including mostly quotes from Van about how bad this is for him and how great his wife had been (quotes from before Stoker came forward).

If he's done this to 2x Australian Senators, how many other staff with much less power has he done this to?

This is why it's so important for women, when they can, to come forward, in whatever forum they can.

They need to appoint a chaperone to Van so that he's not left alone with any women while working at Parliament House. Otherwise we'll all be up for another 7-figure payout and 300 pages of people attacking the victim/s.

The let women speak wing of the Liberal Party have been conspicuous in their silence here. I thought they were all about protecting women.
They only talk about imaginary violence from trans people, not real violence from men. Although, their main piece of evidence that women are not safe in non-gendered toilets is because men commit so many attacks on women.

Even The Australian is saying that Van's wandering hands go beyond Thorpe and Stoker and that it was an "open secret".

That's why people raise this under parliamentary privilege, because our defamation laws allow powerful people the ability to get away with such awful "open secrets". How many victims have been kept quiet because if you say it out loud you have to prove it to a near-criminal level because of the status of the perpetrator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They only talk about imaginary violence from trans people, not real violence from men. Although, their main piece of evidence that women are not safe in non-gendered toilets is because men commit so many attacks on women.

Even The Australian is saying that Van's wandering hands go beyond Thorpe and Stoker and that it was an "open secret".

That's why people raise this under parliamentary privilege, because our defamation laws allow powerful people the ability to get away with such awful "open secrets". How many victims have been kept quiet because if you say it out loud you have to prove it to a near-criminal level because of the status of the perpetrator.
Presumably Van's wandering hands didn't just emerge when he arrived in Canberra and that he was preselected with people being aware he was like this. Incredible how far a Y chromosome will get you in some circles.

Is the bolding for your own benefit? Navy's does it once, compared to your repeated (autocorrect? BS) posts.

Plus Lydia is closer to Lidia than Linda, Storage Cart (Sorry, autocorrect ;))
I think most reasonable people would see them both as being spelling mistakes which I have clarified was due to auto correct and not reviewing my posts so that’s on me

In any case it’s hardly worth the attacks it’s getting when you clearly disagree with my post and chose to focus on that instead

Fair enough

Presumably Van's wandering hands didn't just emerge when he arrived in Canberra and that he was preselected with people being aware he was like this. Incredible how far a Y chromosome will get you in some circles.
It’s concerning that people in power will often abuse it and you can see that in all facets of life and across many industries…but I agree this doesn’t just magically happen in isolation there would had been prior incidents in his past that were either ignored or not picked up

Hopefully if Higgins wasn’t the wake up call for parliament culture change this should be moving forward

I'd love to know which private school has him on their honour roll and is today meeting to discuss how they secretly scrub him from promo material.

News are still just running the story including mostly quotes from Van about how bad this is for him and how great his wife had been (quotes from before Stoker came forward).

If he's done this to 2x Australian Senators, how many other staff with much less power has he done this to?

This is why it's so important for women, when they can, to come forward, in whatever forum they can.

They need to appoint a chaperone to Van so that he's not left alone with any women while working at Parliament House. Otherwise we'll all be up for another 7-figure payout and 300 pages of people attacking the victim/s.

Van has denied the allegations by Stoker.

Given the involvement of Snr Liberals and her reported notes, I imagine this will be a fairly quick condemnation, would be political suicide otherwise.

Van has denied the allegations by Stoker.

Given the involvement of Snr Liberals and her reported notes, I imagine this will be a fairly quick condemnation, would be political suicide otherwise.
Dutton confirmed a third accusation this morning.

It's OK, you can admit you were wrong for assuming Thorpe was lying and that giving any credence to Van's denials sounds utterly ridiculous at this point.

Dutton confirmed a third accusation this morning.

It's OK, you can admit you were wrong for assuming Thorpe was lying and that giving any credence to Van's denials sounds utterly ridiculous at this point.

I never said she was lying, I said she is a liar.

I know it's hard to comprehend, but they aren't mutually exclusive.

Just as Stokers revelations don't automatically mean everything Thorpe has said is legitimate, she has a big history of exaggeration and inflammatory language.

Just as Lehrmann's additional charges didn't make him any more guilty on the Higgins charges.

And based on the revelations of the last few weeks, theres a enough dirt on Sharaz/Wilkinson/Higgins that the right outcome has been reached, Lehrmann will face justice on his other charges, if they infact are proven.

Lidia is claiming racism from the media and public this morning (shock horror), but her statement was chalk and cheese compared to Stokers.

Stoker named Van, went into detail about the events that occurred, the follow up actions and had the conviction to present evidence if required.

Thorpe has offered none of those things. She's not even confident enough to fight a defamation charge on it, it seems.

I never said she was lying, I said she is a liar.

I know it's hard to comprehend, but they aren't mutually exclusive.

Just as Stokers revelations don't automatically mean everything Thorpe has said is legitimate, she has a big history of exaggeration and inflammatory language.

Just as Lehrmann's additional charges didn't make him any more guilty on the Higgins charges.

And based on the revelations of the last few weeks, theres a enough dirt on Sharaz/Wilkinson/Higgins that the right outcome has been reached, Lehrmann will face justice on his other charges, if they infact are proven.
What do you think is the right outcome for Brittany Higgins?

So when forner Liberal Senator Amanda Stoker decides to come forward to outline her own history with this guy, does that strengthen Lydia Thorpe's story or what?

It is certainly showing tendency for acting in particular manner.

I am not happy that it required Thorpe to raise the matter in the senate before action was taken. Parliament requires a more robust complaints procedure to deal with these issues.

Can you not see what I am saying ? He was moved after the allegation …clearly she was unhappy with the repose and fair enough but she didn’t follow it up with other avenues for a better response

I’m not disageeeung with what you have said , I am just saying she could had chosen a different avenue after he was first moved if she was that unhappy with the response to the allegations
Victims of sexual harrasment or assault don't always react in logical ways, and that is assuming following the correct channels for sexual assault is logical in the first instance. From this link:
According to the survey, of the 639,000 women who experienced sexual assault by a male perpetrator in the 10 years prior to survey:

• only 13% reported to police
Women don't always come forward and report sexual assault, and there are plenty of reasons why Thorpe - as a survivor of domestic violence and an Indigenous woman - would not take this kind of thing to the police.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back