Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

But they do speak on behalf of the majority. You and the other fat left mods are just so used to having your political bias reinforced on Bigfooty that you’ve lost touch with reality.
I'm aware my views are not in the majority
I'm also aware that the majority is not automatically right

But anyone on here saying the majority of the country would be embarrassed is making an assumption

Thorpe's an idiot. Does she really think carrying on like a pork chop at the King during a parliamentary ceremony is going to win any friends?

She was a major contributor to the Voice failing, and so she has effectively harmed the people she represents. If I lived in Victoria, I'd be tempted to vote below the line just to put her last.

Thorpe's an idiot. Does she really thing carrying on like a pork chop at the King during a parliamentary ceremony is going to win any friends?

She was a major contributor to the Voice failing, and so she has effectively harmed the people she represents. If I lived in Victoria, I'd be tempted to vote below the line just to put her last.
She's not contesting next election

She's not doing this to make friends or win votes

You didn't talk about her behaviour.
You called her a stain.
A stain on white Australia...
Why do you hate her so much?
It's weird how being black is an excuse to attack and hate.
And there it is. Funny how a white person can’t criticise anyone other than a white person. As soon as it’s a black person being criticised it’s racist.

Take the blinkers off son. People of all walks of life can be criticised or ridiculed if they’re behaviour warrants it.

But I guess people like yourself will always look for reasons to call someone racist so you’ll always find it.

Sad headspace you have there. Ironically it’s short-sighted people like you that set society backwards instead of progressing it. Well done.

As a dirty lefty I've always loved the clash of Thatcherism and the Monarchy, the pull yourself up by your bootstraps crowd also trying to justify this ridiculous hereditary nonsense.
"Pull yourself up by your bootstraps" only ever applied to people who weren't born into huge wealth. Know your place and all that.

Nah.

I dislike her because she is rude, a terrible role model for young Australians (girls particularly) in how she conducts herself, the language she uses in formal settings, how divisive and aggressive she is and how she misuses her station (regularly) for self interest. She longs for a divided country.
Hey genius, the country was always divided. Again, it sounds like you want everyone to think exactly the same.

The likes of Mandela, MLK, Gandhi, Chavez are legends of history, not solely because of their message, but in the way they delivered it and achieved it.
The same Mandela who founded uMkhonto weSizwe? The same Gandhi who when asked what he thought of Western civilisation, replied that he thought it would be a very good idea? The same MLK whose opponents made him out to be a radical Marxist revolutionary?

Lidia has dined out too much on the stories of Robert Mugabe, Che Guevara, Huey Newton I think…
When did Lidia advocate violence?

Thorpe's an idiot. Does she really think carrying on like a pork chop at the King during a parliamentary ceremony is going to win any friends?

See.
Fair criticism about a person/politician.
This isn't racist.
I don't agree with Rotayjay, but their position is clear and reasonable.

Why are so many other posters in this thread, that HATE Lidia, incapable of this?
Why do they hate her more than any other politician, let alone more than actual rapists?

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/upload?type=post&context[post_id]=85882202&hash=1fcd4417aca174e8a0dae20d209e32de New
In all seriousness.

In all seriousness, so many in this thread jump at shadows while thinking some people can do and say whatever they want whenever they want without any criticism being allowed.

You're going to i have to bring me up to speed on this one Hairy

Why is she vile?

She was swearing away like a trucker which apparently is okay by you, but youre a moderator on a forum where swearing is censored.

See.
Fair criticism about a person/politician.
This isn't racist.
I don't agree with Rotayjay, but their position is clear and reasonable.

Why are so many other posters in this thread, that HATE Lidia, incapable of this?
Why do they hate her more than any other politician, let alone more than actual rapists?

In all seriousness, so many in this thread jump at shadows while thinking some people can do and say whatever they want whenever they want without any criticism being allowed.
:moustache:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She was swearing away like a trucker which apparently is okay by you, but youre a moderator on a forum where swearing is censored.
So I'm talking about people sooking about what she said and you're sooking about a swear filter on a website that is free because of ad revenue that requires a sweat filter

Yes these are very much the same you a so smart

Please point out where I said she is vile. Thanks.
Maybe read the post I quoted which wasn't from you

So I'm talking about people sooking about what she said and you're sooking about a swear filter on a website that is free because of ad revenue that requires a sweat filter

Yes these are very much the same you a so smart

Maybe read the post I quoted which wasn't from you

I edited the last bit after seeing it was a quote for someone else.

As for swear filters, I think Parliament has those too. But not for monetary purposes. She has done the typical attention seeker thing and made it all about her. People are not talking about the issues she apparently cares about. They are talking all about her. She has again failed to use her position for a positive change.

But that wont matter to many of you lot. Thankfully you are the minority and she will likely be gone in a couple of years. Hopefully replaced by someone who focusses on change rather than just on themselves.

Nah.

I dislike her because she is rude, a terrible role model for young Australians (girls particularly) in how she conducts herself, the language she uses in formal settings, how divisive and aggressive she is and how she misuses her station (regularly) for self interest. She longs for a divided country.

She only has to deliver her message differently and it would be a different matter. She loses her message constantly in her behavior.

The likes of Mandela, MLK, Gandhi, Chavez are legends of history, not solely because of their message, but in the way they delivered it and achieved it.

Lidia has dined out too much on the stories of Robert Mugabe, Che Guevara, Huey Newton I think…

Mandela engaged in terrorism. MLK was hated by most mainstream white Americans before he was killed. These people were radicals who’ve had their edges smoothed in historical memory, so that the UK can have a Prime Minister who feted Mandela when he died but called on his ongoing imprisonment in the 1980s.

I don’t think the King being shouted at is more embarrassing than Australia in 2024 having a king who’s inherited the title through the British lineage. He’s not above being shouted at.

I edited the last bit after seeing it was a quote for someone else.

As for swear filters, I think Parliament has those too. But not for monetary purposes. She has done the typical attention seeker thing and made it all about her. People are not talking about the issues she apparently cares about. They are talking all about her. She has again failed to use her position for a positive change.

But that wont matter to many of you lot. Thankfully you are the minority and she will likely be gone in a couple of years. Hopefully replaced by someone who focusses on change rather than just on themselves.
People that don't want to engage with what she said are talking about how she said it to avoid the actual issue

Bog standard deflection

Please find a quote on here where someone said they hate Thorpe more than a racist.

FWIW there’s maybe 2 or 3 people in the world that I hate and they aren’t famous or in the public eye.

Mandela engaged in terrorism. MLK was hated by most mainstream white Americans before he was killed. These people were radicals who’ve had their edges smoothed in historical memory, so that the UK can have a Prime Minister who feted Mandela when he died but called on his ongoing imprisonment in the 1980s.

I don’t think the King being shouted at is more embarrassing than Australia in 2024 having a king who’s inherited the title through the British lineage. He’s not above being shouted at.
Terrorism is largely what power calls resistance

What makes you like the monarchy? How does that square with the idea of equality?
I like some traditions (like the grand final being held on a Saturday arvo). I don't think getting rid of the monarchy is worth the effort given the polycrisis we face with climate change, housing, economic inequality, looming war in Taiwan, and so on.

I don't like inherited wealth and I like equality, but I don't see one rich family with a ceremonial hereditary title as a serious impediment to equality. House prices doubling every five years - now that's a serious impediment to equality.

Norway and Sweden are brilliant welfare states that I think are great models for Australia to follow, and they have constitutional monarchies. America has one of their own as head of state, and is a dystopia.

Not how it works

You were the one claiming your position was just as valid and your perspective equally important
1) why do you get to say how it “works”

2) let’s assume I play along without your assumption. Lidia has more lived experience in the harms of colonisation I do not dispute. But it doesn’t mean she has expertise on any solution to the problem more than anyone else. She will approach the issue out of her personal biases and interests, as will everyone else

3) last time I checked this country still operated on a one vote one value system.

4) now that I have humoured your view I ask again, how many “nuffies” like me are equal to lidias opinion in your view. Because if they are not equal, which is your assertion, then there must be some scale of difference and value

5) of course you might just be being tiresome.

I'm aware my views are not in the majority
I'm also aware that the majority is not automatically right

But anyone on here saying the majority of the country would be embarrassed is making an assumption
Never seen you show any self awareness that you could be wrong either.

Terrorism is largely what power calls resistance
Yes, when they are on our side they are freedom fighters, when they aren’t they are terry.
Then there are those who are just using ideology as a cover for personal gain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back