Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

I mean who does she think she is, expecting the King to have a private meeting with her? Kind of similar to when Harry O'Brien wrote a letter to Obama requesting a meeting, nothing wrong with asking I suppose.
It's constantly stressed how much of a special interest Charles takes in Indigenous issues, perhaps Thorpe thought he might be willing to meet her and listen to her point of view.

It's constantly stressed how much of a special interest Charles takes in Indigenous issues, perhaps Thorpe thought he might be willing to meet her and listen to her point of view.
Royal family worth a conservative 28 billion pounds. Almost entirely built on plundering the wealth of the colonies.

Always nice that Charles and the firm can provide lip service to having a special interest in indigenous issues

Royal family worth a conservative 28 billion pounds. Almost entirely built on plundering the wealth of the colonies.

Always nice that Charles and the firm can provide lip service to having a special interest in indigenous issues
It's like being constantly told how hard working Charles is.

That's incredible.

'I probably wouldn't... maybe'.

so in your view, if i disagree with how someone acted in a single setting, i am against ever racial movement in human history?

lol

Thorpe was elected, Charles wasn’t.
Elected to serve at the pleasure of the crown who she has pledged allegiance too, i'm no royalist, but if she feels that strongly about it then all she has to do is resign! Will Adam Bandt give up his home and join us all on that journey to find a new home on one of the 2 million uninhabited islands in the world? Will the Spanish and Portuguese say sorry about that and give up Mexico, Latin and South America? She is the most divisive person this country has ever seen. She has no decorum whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elected to serve at the pleasure of the crown who she has pledged allegiance too, i'm no royalist, but if she feels that strongly about it then all she has to do is resign! Will Adam Bandt give up his home and join us all on that journey to find a new home on one of the 2 million uninhabited islands in the world? Will the Spanish and Portuguese say sorry about that and give up Mexico, Latin and South America? She is the most divisive person this country has ever seen. She has no decorum whatsoever.
Ahhhh the old catch 22.

You can't be a member of parliament and agitate for change because parliament is set up such that you'd then be a hypocrite.

Therefore nothing can ever change.

What ****en clowns.

With respect, Surely this is a flawed argument ?
Being in politics at least gives her the voice to express her opinions and those of the people she represents.

For clarity I don’t know much about her and am strongly anti monarchy so I guess I’m on her side on this matter

I’m glad she called out the monarchy for the scam that it is

Really the only discussion i’ve seen is people saying what a twat she is and from indigenous people as well.
yeah that's the whole point isn't it

they don't want to deal with what she said so they attack how she said it

bog standard deflection

Imagine the Monarchists League were the only people eligible to serve in government.

That is an Eric Abetz wet dream

yeah that's the whole point isn't it

they don't want to deal with what she said so they attack how she said it

bog standard deflection
What did she say?
It was just incoherent rambling mixed in with the odd F-bomb.

She wants reparations but no discussion of how much, who gets it, who pays it or anything else of substance.

'Reparations' is a whole can of worms and is way too complex for someone of her intellect. For example, does Bruce Pascoe get the same amount as Lidia Thorpe or Jacinta Price or Megan Davis ?
What about those on welfare or those in prison?

These are questions that are automatically classed as 'racist' because they are too hard to answer. Much easier to scream and shout and achieve nothing.

What did she say?
It was just incoherent rambling mixed in with the odd F-bomb.

She wants reparations but no discussion of how much, who gets it, who pays it or anything else of substance.

'Reparations' is a whole can of worms and is way too complex for someone of her intellect. For example, does Bruce Pascoe get the same amount as Lidia Thorpe or Jacinta Price or Megan Davis ?
What about those on welfare or those in prison?

These are questions that are automatically classed as 'racist' because they are too hard to answer. Much easier to scream and shout and achieve nothing.
Nothing is being achieved at the moment when it comes to reconciliation, the Closing the Gap statement is just an annual list of failings, colonisation is the main cause of this and yet Thorpe is the villain for pointing this out.

Nothing is being achieved at the moment when it comes to reconciliation, the Closing the Gap statement is just an annual list of failings, colonisation is the main cause of this and yet Thorpe is the villain for pointing this out.
What do you mean 'nothing is being achieved'?
What would you like achieved - how can anything be 'achieved' when the goal is not agreed on or not articulated or is unrealistic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back