Judd
Stevens
Murphy
Gibbs
Simpson
Scotland
Kruezer

Fevola, Waite.

The rest doesnt matter, that midfield with those two targets will ensure big scores are posted every week.

I cant see too many sides matching that midfield might.

Dick Pratt could be the weak link as much as Carlton fans laud him as the saviour, there is a shady side to the man which will be scrutinised more so now he is the President of an AFL side.

Will Brett Ratten be able to coach them effectively though.

To me, his signing smacks of the Carlton board wanting a hand puppet. Only reason I can think of for reappointing a bloke who went 0-7 and looked like a lost puppy dog in media interviews.

Brett Ratten was a good player, seems a decent bloke but can he coach. Doesn't matter if you have all the tools if you can't use them - no pun intended with the use of the word "tools"

Judd
Stevens
Murphy
Gibbs
Simpson
Scotland
Kruezer

Fevola, Waite.

The rest doesnt matter, that midfield with those two targets will ensure big scores are posted every week.

I cant see too many sides matching that midfield might.

Dick Pratt could be the weak link as much as Carlton fans laud him as the saviour, there is a shady side to the man which will be scrutinised more so now he is the President of an AFL side.

What team has the record for the Most #1 draft picks in a team at any time?

Carlton will certainly have more than a reasonable midfield however some KPP's are going to need to come on to challenge for a flag.

Ruck is vital which is why getting Kruezer is such a vital move for the Blues ...but he will take time ...Cox took 3 seasons to settle into the champ he is.

My worry if I was a Blues supporter is will this all come together at the right time?

Imagine if the Blues had ignored Judd and extend that window out to 3 - 7 seasons ...Carlton could then get involved with pick 3 as a trading piece and sell to the highest bidder (rather than just add another mid).

Example 3 to the Pies and take in a young KPP in Reid and perhaps even swing an upgrade of picks (it is up to the club chasing Judd to come up with the package - and they don't have the picks like the Blues so would have to work).

Another pathway is what would Port or the Crows do to move up and target an Ebert type ...anyway not talking specifics you get my drift. Trade 3 to Port for 14, Port move on Damon White and players/picks for another 1st rounder pick or Adelaide give 10 and player combo/picks to get another earlyish pick ( a player here and there etc)

It is expected mids will dominate this draft early - not what the Blues really need at this point IMHO...so they could push out a bit and target talls.

Maybe even deal directly with WC who may find they ahve a few picks in the top 20 that they would happily upgrade for pick 3.

Or if they package 3 to a club chasing Ebert ....3 to Port - Port give 14 but obviously will need to trade players to upgrade their 2nd round pick to a first rounder. All I am getting at is there would be a few buyers of this pick IMHO.

Personally I think this team is more frightening and for a longer period of time to face a core of -

Stevens
Murphy
Gibbs
Simpson
Scotland
Carrazzo
Fevola
Waite

Kruezer

+ minimum of 3 of (Blues have pick 20 already and could reasonably expect 2 more high picks as compensation for giving up pick 3)

* Reid/Gumbleton or Ryder type (if dealing with a club chasing Judd) or if just picks
*Rance (KP Defender) McEvoy (Ruck) Henderson (KP Forward) Bellchambers (Ruck) Myers (KP defender) Gourdis (KP Forward)
* Could top up on a less rated MF too a Grimes or a Maric

If they want to make it real interesting - offer a Scotland type with pick 3 and Blues could end up with 5 young players who will be coming on line at the same time as Gibbs/Walker/Murphy etc. Fevola/Stevens would then be the veteran leadership.

The any improvement from the likes of Kennedy, OHalpin etc would be a bonus.

Draft is a lottery - however if you took essentially 3 or 4 KPP's/rucks out of the top 20 ...your chances would improve considerably. Plus you can always targets mids next season. You would have a key group of players peaking as one for a period of 5-8 years.

Just a ramble.

Anyone can buy a team, anyone can screw their fans and anyone can rort a system designed to reward failure.

Whenever Carlton fans see some light at the end of the tunnel they start to pretend the pain was worth it.... coz optimism takes over and it is all in the past anyway.

Unfortunately though Carlton have developed a losing cuture and that will take a long time to reverse.

Anyone can buy a team, anyone can screw their fans and anyone can rort a system designed to reward failure.

Whenever Carlton fans see some light at the end of the tunnel they start to pretend the pain was worth it.... coz optimism takes over and it is all in the past anyway.

Unfortunately though Carlton have developed a losing cuture and that will take a long time to reverse.

You win one flag in 70 years and we have a loosing culture:rolleyes:

was that the $14m he donated to charity last year alone?
Dick Pratt will be fine.

Every team experiences having a "losing culture". Look at the Lions, Saints, Hawks, Fremantle, Magpies, Swans...etc etc

Drafts and salary caps will ensure every single team in the AFL will experience their time at the top and bottom of the ladder.....it's what your team does when it has that window of opportunity to snatch a flag.

Whilst I think people are overestimating Judd's abilities to lift the club I do agree that it will have a positive impact. Mid-ladder placing at the end of 2008 I'd say. From there, who knows? With the salary cap and the draft clubs can turn around rather quickly these days.

Same team as this season + Judd and Kruzer. You will be nothing until you learn to play as a team. Fev cannot be "demanding the ball" if he aint performing, The ball must go to the best option, not fev.

[/b]You win one flag in 70 years and we have a loosing culture:rolleyes:

Yepp..stems from something called reality. No point hiding from it by simply accusing others of it. All clubs have had it in various guises.

Carlton have no ticker for a contest....an analogy to real life is to declare bankrupcy at the slightest cash flow problem then sulk and blame others for being too competitive....then ask for handouts, complain that the marketplace should be easier, whinge that you were victimised then go on the dole and not even bother to try...all the time knowing that a rich daddy will save you with a handout anyway.

Lost all respect for Carlton as a club. They were once competitive because they would buy what they didnt have....when forced to compete on a level playing field tho the club was found to have no ticker for a fight....in fact they became lay downs.

This is what they need to reverse before they can ever be anything more then the current self inflicted laughing stock we see today. We have seen Carlton list optimism before in recent yrs but its all pie in the sky stuff unless the club regains some pride and PROVES something.

Al clubs go through long bad periods but not all clubs have so little pride in themselves that they would rather run onto the paddock to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Rucks.
Worst Defence in the league.

Considerable improvement required to make the eight, let alone be a powerhouse.

Pratt has just been done for $30 mill, dishonest business practices, sound familiar?
and how many shady dealings are going on to get Judd? Powerhouse??? we may see another heap of penalties aimed at the cheats before very long.

Carlton = Dishonesty.

Pratt has just been done for $30 mill, dishonest business practices, sound familiar?
and how many shady dealings are going on to get Judd? Powerhouse??? we may see another heap of penalties aimed at the cheats before very long.

Carlton = Dishonesty.
Okay, that is one vote for 'loathe it.'

I think that we must all wake up to the realisation that Carlton are the powerhouse of the off season.
Yes well, we are also the powerhouse of the preseason! :eek::D

Remove this Banner Ad

Like it or Loathe it, Carlton will be a Powerhouse in the next 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back