Lineup v Doggies this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys, I reckon the Toump is crap. He cannot break a tackle. For an outside player (sic) his pace is crap. What did we see in him???
Biff, with all due respect, you have a fair bit of nerve going around defending Watts and then suggesting that Toumpas is cooked before his third season.

Biff, with all due respect, you have a fair bit of nerve going around defending Watts and then suggesting that Toumpas is cooked before his third season.
Defending Watts?

I can understand some of the criticism directed at Toumpas - at the moment he's a long way behind Wines, Stringer and McCrae. But today was a huge step in the right direction.. and he's still copping it?!?

Jury is still out on Toumpas, he was alright today. We always just had out hearts set on him after some big SANFL games was similar to Trengove but there was definitely a lot of people at the time who wanted Macrae or Wines. Imagine either of those two with Tyson, Viney, Jones, Angus etc. Still It's way premature to write off Jimmy, i'm gonna wait til at least round 6 to do that.

Watts plays with the intensity of a stoned sloth and Dawes doesn't want the ball to come near him. He spends most of his energy each week directing the play away from him. Hogan, on the other hand, plays like he expects to get the ball each time he is near it, regardless of the scenario.
Watts could hardly have been more disappointing today. If he reproduces that level of effort next week he wouldn't be in my round one side. Lack of effort is a cancer in a sports team and we looked so much worse when he came on. Last quarter was a farce. The wind was strong and coming almost straight down the ground. Should have been worth 4+ goals.

Eh we're still Melbourne though. I wanna see wins on the board before i start doubling my misery by betting on us.
This!

Only heard the last quarter - was not impressed, obviously :(

Looked fwd to coming in here and seeing the half time jizz fest turn to panick half way through the last!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skills go to shit as soon as pressure is mounted, by a team of kids.

Anything less than an utter thumping today was going to feel like a disappointment.

Probably the same goes for next week vs the Drugs.

Toumpas today: 24 touches, 10 marks and 4 tackles. He had 12 at half time so it was a nice four-quarter effort from him. Looked very good at times, I'm sure the detractors will find something to hang on him but that was his best game for Melbourne. Bring it in Round 1 Jimmy!
Toumpy's best game? Well done, I like the 10 marks!

Watched the Roos presser, he didn't seem overly fazed by the drop off although I guess he rarely gives too much away.

He rightly paid credit to the way the Dogs came back and pressured us but also hinted a bit at players preserving themselves and concentrating on their own game given its a pre-season game.

I still think we got a lot out of it despite the drop off, which is the ultimate aim.

One of the marks was a ripper between two opponents. I assumed Hogan went off early, (****ing shit camera work and commentary) around the time we really started going to shit. I'm kinda hoping a couple of our senior mids were off during most of that time too. More positives than negatives for me in the game, toump can have Matt Jones' gig with another good hitout hopefully. Newton looks like he'll push someone out too. Jesse Hogan is already our most important player. o_O

Biggest positive for me today was Toumpas. Still lots to work on, but if he can get his 25 touches per game, he will become a very good player in a few more years.

Salem, Lumumba, JKH and Garlett were the other positives for me.

Negatives were really only that it was a shit practise game. They lay down in the first half and we were sucked in to taking the foot off when they finally started playing from mid-third term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lineup v Doggies this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back