Ling - credit where credit's due

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he had his best game in a long time...However, lets hope he is not the barometer by which Geelong are measured. To do it consistently is his biggest challenge. As it is with the team. Geelong usually lose games like this i.e. Melbourne injury depleted, in poor form etc.

how many of us actually went to the game?

he turned it over or was responsible for the ball being turned over at least 5 times. he played on and at least ran into two opposition players at least two time. he doesnt have eyes for the ball, he was more worried about holding and grappling stevens WWE style than playing football.

and he always holds play up while he is taking an eternity to decide what to do next.

I just think he always wants to use the best option. If no-one is leading, or the opposition is pushing a few back, i.e. Like Carlton did on the weekend and yes I was at the game taking in this fact, then he waits and looks for the best option before the umpire calls playon.

If that is sideways, or backwards, so be it. We do need guys like him, we cannot have all flashy players, it won't work. You need the workmen who go around the ground all day.

Sure he turned it over a few times. So did Byrnes (terrible kicking - which he supposidly worked on over summer), Mackie (I'll take a mark and turn blindly into a Carlton player to turn it over and cost a goal), jeez even Mooney turned it over.

Turning the ball over is normal, players will do it, so get over it.

Ling is a hard nut, he will go in and take possession of the ball even though no-one wants to. I don't know if you notice, but he will often take possession and instead of popping up a lolly of a handball for the opposition (i.e. Mackie), he takes on the tackle and often slowly picks up the ball to make the decision for holding the ball nearly impossible.

That is what we need, slow it down at times and look for the best option.

Get off his back, we won by 80 remember ???

Get off his back, we won by 80 remember ???

i think that if we lost by 20 with the same ling stats and turnovers this thread would still on his back. it even disgusts me the way he was grappling and holding stevens when the ball was 15-20m away.

i agree, byrnes is shizen and needs to stay in the VFL.

From today's Addy:

Thompson tells fans: lay off Ling
Jason Shields

11Apr07

Coach Mark Thompson has come to the defence of Cameron Ling who has been under intenses scrutiny from fans.

GEELONG coach Mark Thompson is sick of the criticism directed at Cameron Ling.

Thompson said he could not understand why Cats fans continually bagged the 26-year-old midfielder, who again proved his value to the team with a stunning shut-down role on Carlton's premier playmaker Nick Stevens last Saturday night.

``I get a lot of mail from Geelong supporters saying how much they don't like him and I just can't understand it, to be honest, because he is almost my first picked every week,'' Thompson said yesterday.

``He had a tremendous year last year as well. He was on good players again and knocked them all over and he continually does it.''

Ling, the 2004 Cats' best and fairest winner, has been criticised for the lack of damage he causes from the possessions he gains.

``Maybe it is a little bit the media, but I think more so it is Geelong supporters,'' Thompson said of the criticism.

Ling returned to career-best form last Saturday night with his shadowing role on the hard-running Stevens, who had dominated against Richmond with 30 touches the previous week.

The flame-haired Cat also pushed forward to kick two goals against Stevens to complete the personal rout.

Thompson said Ling's ability to take on and beat the opposition's prime onballer on a weekly basis was underestimated by the football world.

``He has an enormous aerobic capacity, but he (also) has great concentration,'' the coach said.

``He is a very good decision maker and he is tough and I think people should respect that, our own supporters should respect that a bit more.''

The in-form Ling may be given the job of running with gifted Melbourne ball winner Cameron Bruce when the two teams meet at the MCG on Sunday.

Thompson said he expected the winless Demons, who will be without skipper David Neitz, to be in an angry frame of mind following the disappointment of their Easter Monday loss to Hawthorn.

Neitz also missed playing against the Cats in their two meetings last season, but that did not stop the Demons recording one win and one draw against Geelong.

When asked if the big forward's absence would lessen Melbourne's threat this weekend, Thompson replied: ``No I don't think it does this week because of the mood they're going to be in.

``They are going to be desperate for a win and we've got to respect that and be prepared for that.''

Thompson said he was unsure what forward structure the Demons would take into the match with Neitz and Russell Robertson both out injured.

``We have just spoken about that for a little while and we don't know if they will put a ruckman in Jamar or White down there or a Holland,'' he said.

``We are just going to have to watch them train and watch them during the week. We probably expect the unexpected.''

he did well, but i think i just don't dig negative play - y'know where the ball is not a priority at all.....i can't help it.

Lucky it was "a priority" for Ling 21 times then hey? ;)

he did well, but i think i just don't dig negative play - y'know where the ball is not a priority at all.....i can't help it.

I agree... I watched a lot of Ling/Kerr around stoppages today and it really seems unfair to intentially block another player from contests. Of course I'm not complaining, i'm just in the same boat as you mate. It would be nice if every player only had eyes for the ball, I enjoy watching Kerr play a lot.

I also don't understand why people booed Judd today? Why? Appart from being the best player in the league, he has to be one of the fairest. Maybe it's kind of a sign of respect?? Dunno... It makes Geelong supporters look like idiots, don't like it.
Add supporters who cry out "Just kick it long" and boo champion players to my disliking of taggers. :)

I agree... I watched a lot of Ling/Kerr around stoppages today and it really seems unfair to intentially block another player from contests. Of course I'm not complaining, i'm just in the same boat as you mate. It would be nice if every player only had eyes for the ball, I enjoy watching Kerr play a lot.

I also don't understand why people booed Judd today? Why? Appart from being the best player in the league, he has to be one of the fairest. Maybe it's kind of a sign of respect?? Dunno... It makes Geelong supporters look like idiots, don't like it.
Add supporters who cry out "Just kick it long" and boo champion players to my disliking of taggers. :)

Probably for the fact that, yes, he is a gun, but also his inability to be pinged for holding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think that if we lost by 20 with the same ling stats and turnovers this thread would still on his back. it even disgusts me the way he was grappling and holding stevens when the ball was 15-20m away.

That's what quality taggers do. Sacrifice their own game to stop a player. He's obviously under instruction to do that I doubt the coach would just let him do that. He's showed in the past that when he tries to be a possesion mid-fielder that he doesn't cut it with the elite. But when he plays to his strengths which are accountability and endurance he's a very important player...

Personally I think he's in the top 5 of our B&F at the moment.He's shut down plenty of quality players in West, Stevens, Deledio, Kerr (off the top of my head). He's getting his touches, kicking some goals and most importantly, stopping the opposition's best player. Exactly what we need him to do...

From Bomber:

"I know he gets a lot of criticism, Cameron Ling, but if there are any Geelong supporters who think he shouldn't be in the team, they are actually kidding themselves, they're not watching footy.

"He just knocked over another big star today."

Enough said...

Many of us have been saying for yonks that Lingy is a good run-with player. Trouble is, its taken Bomber until this year to use him in that capacity every week.

he played okay but was it Lings influence or was it the fact that west coast got absolutely smashed in the clearances?

with blake/ottens dominating hit outs and bartel/corey becoming clearance kings the west coast midfield did not get anywhere near the ball.

one may even go further and say it can be attributed to blake/ottens for their hit outs to our advantage.

and that handball after ling won possession was skills personified.

No silly kicking sideways, only one special over the head handball - and that hit a Geelong player - and the rest was outstanding. Those who have criticised him and others do not need to be apologetic - they have played some very ordinary football - and yesterday they showed how very good they are at their best. Go Ginge! :)

seriously, i thought the AFL was trying to stop the type of tactics he uses?

he played okay but was it Lings influence or was it the fact that west coast got absolutely smashed in the clearances?

with blake/ottens dominating hit outs and bartel/corey becoming clearance kings the west coast midfield did not get anywhere near the ball.

one may even go further and say it can be attributed to blake/ottens for their hit outs to our advantage.

and that handball after ling won possession was skills personified.

Nobody's saying he won us the game, just that he deserves some credit for his game and for the way he's playing this season... His job was to shut down Kerr. Not only did he do that he double him for possesions and had 8 tackles to boot. He has the coach's support, he should have ours...

Well - I have been anti-Ling until the last 2-3 weeks.
Not for where he plays, but the stupid slow decisions and getting caught because of no awareness (unlike Selwood who yesterday took off, heard footsteps, ducked under a tackle and gave of a great handball - gun). The last few weeks that has fallen off - likely due to focusing on stopping (logical thought process) rather than trying to create - maybe he is only left brained (verbal, mathematical, etc)?? Could explain a lot..............LOL!!!

Ling would have to be the best tagger in the business. Nullifies key players and still gets his own ball. He seems to play his best football when he has a job to concentrate on. Top stuff Linga! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling - credit where credit's due

Remove this Banner Ad

Back