Ling - credit where credit's due

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess asking for credit where credit's due is asking too much from some people...

So what is the issue now? It's that he's a tagger and employs stopping techniques?

Sheesh!

First people complain that he's not playing the role that he's good at (tagging) then they complain that he's a tagger! Can't please some people.

I suppose we should have just given Kerr a free run at everything yesterday. Yes, that would have worked nicely. :rolleyes:

I guess asking for credit where credit's due is asking too much from some people...

So what is the issue now? It's that he's a tagger and employs stopping techniques?

Sheesh!

First people complain that he's not playing the role that he's good at (tagging) then they complain that he's a tagger! Can't please some people.

I suppose we should have just given Kerr a free run at everything yesterday. Yes, that would have worked nicely. :rolleyes:

Agreed. FFS, show some sort of appreciation for his efforts.

Sheesh!

i said he played okay, never denied that that, if you are indeed referring to me.

i just never liked the way that libba/romero used to tag and it would now be hypocritical of me now to say how much i love the use of those stopping tactics.

i said he played okay, never denied that that, if you are indeed referring to me.

i just never liked the way that libba/romero used to tag and it would now be hypocritical of me now to say how much i love the use of those stopping tactics.

I've never seen Ling do anything remotely like those two used to do. They were scraggers. Ling's strategy is simple - he follows his man and lays a tackle on him as soon as he gets the ball.

He has only had 8 free kicks paid against him for the season (at least 3 of those were holding the ball against him) which is quite remarkable for a tagger.

This season he has also averaged 22 possessions and has kicked 10 goals. So it's not like his sole focus is stopping his opponent. He has hurt the opposition going the other way.

If he played like Libba I could understand your point but he doesn't so it seems quite irrelevant.

f'k'n stats!

pity there is not one stat for turning your back on the ball and teamates.

10.(1??) - so he should (have @ 11 shots on goal, where he plays.)

i said i never liked those tactics from other teams, and i don't like seeing it in ours. negate. negate. negate. yesterday was great coz we were actually doing well in the clearances, but other weeks when the ball was not being won we were effectively playing one man down in the middle. i guess i want our team to win by playing positive, assertive footy - make 'em chase us.

i am not saying Lingy should be dropped or is not up to his worth.

I've never seen Ling do anything remotely like those two used to do. They were scraggers. Ling's strategy is simple - he follows his man and lays a tackle on him as soon as he gets the ball.

If he played like Libba I could understand your point but he doesn't so it seems quite irrelevant.

it is quite relevant actually...how do you think someone of lings speed will keep up with someone who is quicker without scragging or holding?

grabbing the players jumper, wrestling with the player to stop him from running to the play, already got his opponent in a bear hug before they are anywhere near the ball, etc.

i dont know, maybe i just like clean free flowing football and really loathe this tagging bullcrap.

it is quite relevant actually...how do you think someone of lings speed will keep up with someone who is quicker without scragging or holding?

grabbing the players jumper, wrestling with the player to stop him from running to the play, already got his opponent in a bear hug before they are anywhere near the ball, etc.

i dont know, maybe i just like clean free flowing football and really loathe this tagging bullcrap.

If he was doing those things he would be penalised. Even if some were being missed he would still have been penalised far more than 5 times so far this season.

If he was doing those things he would be penalised. Even if some were being missed he would still have been penalised far more than 5 times so far this season.

look, i am just as surprised that he doesnt get penalised but next time your at a game follow Ling with an impartial eye. i saw him wrestling with west and stevens when they they were trying to run to where the actual play was.

as i said, i prefer free flowing footy and really dislike the Ling, Baker, Godfrey, etc types thats scrag and hold their opponents.

look, i am just as surprised that he doesnt get penalised but next time your at a game follow Ling with an impartial eye. i saw him wrestling with west and stevens when they they were trying to run to where the actual play was.

as i said, i prefer free flowing footy and really dislike the Ling, Baker, Godfrey, etc types thats scrag and hold their opponents.

Just because I disagree with you it doesn't mean I'm not impartial.

As I said, I've never seen Ling employ the tactics that the 'scragging' taggers use. I've also never seen those taggers be as damaging as Ling is going the other way.

Tagging is as old as the game of Aussie Rules. It is here to stay and so long as it is done fairly, there's no problem with it. If any rules are broken, they should be penalised accordingly.

you and yer "rulz" and yer stats.

nothing to do with being penalised or not being penalised, that's footy.

doesn't matter if it's a ruck contest or a marking contest no-one likes to see a back-to-the ball and/or a lack of eyes on it style of play. surely. in these contests it is penalised.

in a perfect world i'd rather see kerr pick up 25-30 and we still do 'em by 39.

Point is, that wouldn't happen. He'd tear us a new one and we may not win at all, let alone by 39.

Back in reality, tagging is a necessary part of the game.

So long as Ling is doing nothing illegal, what's the problem?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you and yer "rulz" and yer stats.

nothing to do with being penalised or not being penalised, that's footy.

doesn't matter if it's a ruck contest or a marking contest no-one likes to see a back-to-the ball and/or a lack of eyes on it style of play. surely. in these contests it is penalised.

In a perfect world, we'd win every game for the rest of eternity.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure we can have it both ways. Sure, we all like the open, ball-winning type of games, rather than the lock-down, scragging kind of game. However, for Ling (as was proven last year), he is either in the side as a tagger, or he is not in the side at all.

Your suggestion that you want Ling to stop tagging, yet you're not suggesting he be dropped, is essentially contradictory, or at least implausible.

As I said, I've never seen Ling employ the tactics that the 'scragging' taggers use. I've also never seen those taggers be as damaging as Ling is going the other way.

Tagging is as old as the game of Aussie Rules. It is here to stay and so long as it is done fairly, there's no problem with it. If any rules are broken, they should be penalised accordingly.

do the taggers that hold and scrag ablett jnr get caught?

no, does that mean they dont do it?

even my brothers girlfriend was laughing (and asking why) when play was on other side of the ground and stevens was trying to run to that contest and ling was holding him and started wrestling with him.

Your suggestion that you want Ling to stop tagging, yet you're not suggesting he be dropped, is essentially contradictory, or at least implausible.

why is it contradictory or implausible?

the fact that when he has gone forward he has shown a knack for kicking goals. surely that tactic could not be used more often.

or are you suggesting he is a one trick pony and should be dropped if he is not tagging?

A very good game Lingy, I must say. I've been a critic this year and it was extremely pleasing to see you turn it on in a big way this week. Keep up the good work son.

I'll appologise for the ribbing (words of motiviation) I have given you this year but don't let me down. You've found your brand of footy, stick with it and you're a champ in my book.

do the taggers that hold and scrag ablett jnr get caught?

no, does that mean they dont do it?

even my brothers girlfriend was laughing (and asking why) when play was on other side of the ground and stevens was trying to run to that contest and ling was holding him and started wrestling with him.

Even if you are correct and Ling scrags (which I strongly disagree with), then he is simply doing what he can get away within the rules and in their interpretation. If he is doing something illegal, it should be paid against him, I've got no problem with that. Fact is, he's not being pinged, he's stopping his man AND he's contributing with valuable possessions and goals to the team.

Credit where credit's due. That's all I'm saying.

As it stands, it looks like you've run out of things to criticise him about and now you're grasping at straws.

Even if you are correct and Ling scrags (which I strongly disagree with), then he is simply doing what he can get away within the rules and in their interpretation. If he is doing something illegal, it should be paid against him, I've got no problem with that. Fact is, he's not being pinged, he's stopping his man AND he's contributing with valuable possessions and goals to the team.

Credit where credit's due. That's all I'm saying.

As it stands, it looks like you've run out of things to criticise him about and now you're grasping at straws.

i am not criticising him just to criticise him, i think he played okay to well yesterday.

as i said, i really hate the holding and wrestling (if you did not see him hold west or stevens then you must be blind with infatuation) to negate his opponent. i dont like it when other taggers do it and i certainly dont just swallow it when one of our players do it.

Oh dear...:rolleyes:

The Ling bashers are really clutching at straws now!
****in' reckon.

Seriously, this 'but tagging isn't good!1111' rubbish is a bad as the kind of people who don't like cricket because it's 'boring and doesn't have enough action'. They seem to draw enjoyment soley from one type of thing and can't appreciate something that's subtle. Make them watch an over of a spinner bowling dot balls and they'll call it boring - completely missing the nature of the contest between bowler and batsman. The first few balls turning, the batsman trying to feel them out, looking more and more uncomfortable - then one beats the bat, and he's really sweating. The last two - will there be a wicket, or a lightning quick riposte as the batsman dances down and drives him for four? It might not be as adrenaline-pumping or visually spectacular as Gilchrist hitting a boundary every ball, but that doesn't mean it's worthless or bad. Tagging is an art, and I enjoyed every minute of Ling and Kerr battling it out and Ling winning easily - and I didn't bat an eyelid at Selwood keeping Junior out of the game for a half. Appreciate it for what it is, and don't think that good football starts and ends with 40 metre dashes and goals from outside 50.

****in' reckon.

Seriously, this 'but tagging isn't good!1111' rubbish is a bad as the kind of people who don't like cricket because it's 'boring and doesn't have enough action'. They seem to draw enjoyment soley from one type of thing and can't appreciate something that's subtle. Make them watch an over of a spinner bowling dot balls and they'll call it boring - completely missing the nature of the contest between bowler and batsman. The first few balls turning, the batsman trying to feel them out, looking more and more uncomfortable - then one beats the bat, and he's really sweating. The last two - will there be a wicket, or a lightning quick riposte as the batsman dances down and drives him for four? It might not be as adrenaline-pumping or visually spectacular as Gilchrist hitting a boundary every ball, but that doesn't mean it's worthless or bad. Tagging is an art, and I enjoyed every minute of Ling and Kerr battling it out and Ling winning easily - and I didn't bat an eyelid at Selwood keeping Junior out of the game for a half. Appreciate it for what it is, and don't think that good football starts and ends with 40 metre dashes and goals from outside 50.
A true affectionato!!

as i said, i really hate the holding and wrestling (if you did not see him hold west or stevens then you must be blind with infatuation)

Yeah, that must be it. :rolleyes:

If it's as obvious as you say, why can't the umpires see it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling - credit where credit's due

Remove this Banner Ad

Back